“E-Mei Shan ( Emei Mountain )”

E'meishan Jinding Scenic Resort
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was in Chengdu on 12 May 2013 and signed up for a domestic tour package covering Emei Shan and LeShan Big Buddha. The ground package sourced via internet cost our peers at only RMB450 per person. It was a tour package on a Two Days One night package on coach with accommodation, meals and entrance fees packaged in.

The coach was nice, decent and comfortable; our package was indeed cheaper than those purchased by the local. Four of us ( from Malaysia) blend in well with the local as we are bi-lingual and able to communicate with the local. Our package even have a free show of acrobatic and the famous Si-Chuan masks changing show. SImply amazing on the speed that the performers managed to change their masks.

We enjoy our tour very much but there is a setback as the tour package does not include the cable car ride, Three times for a cost of RMB 195 per pax. Very highly priced.

We have a tough walk of 4.5 km despite thrice cable car ride.

Emei Shan is a tough itinerary not for the faint hearted and those physically not as fit.

5  Thank kenny c

Reviewed 7 March 2013

The very reason why I wanted to come to E-Meishan is to savour for myself the wonders and splendour of the Natural World. It's been said that people used to throw themselves down the cliff to justify their purity towards Buddhism. And so, with a head full of notion about the peak of E-meishan, I came up here, imagining of its mythic quality. Alas, I am let down immensely as the path leading to the peak nowadays is filled with shops, opportunists that are there to stomp on you if you are not careful enough. So much about seeking for enlightenment, eh? Anyhow, as I was sitting up there on the peak, I was asking myself what does this place try to convey, ie. being a natural wonders of the world or as a sacred place for the devoted Buddhists to visit? Somehow, commercialism is everywhere. Chinese tourists are everywhere with their smartphones blaring with cheesy techno Chinese pop songs, spitting, shouting to be heard when they could simply have a civilised conversation. So much for a place that's meant to be for reflection and contemplation. Rather, I only saw the worst of humanity, of us being mean to the monkeys that reside there. Once upon a time, it's been said that monkeys were mean to the tourists & travellers. Upon seeing how they were treated by Chinese tourists, throwing food on the monkeys' faces just to provoke them, throwing rocks at them, I simply left not comprehending why we are cruel for cruel's sake. Sigh~Emeishan is better off living as a legend in my mind because reality hurts.

9  Thank wiredfrog
Reviewed 6 September 2012

You can get quite a good view of the place here.. but do go really early if you want to catch the sea of clouds.. we didnt manage to catch it. We randomly hired a car to take us up. The car took 6 of us. Its quite a long drive up, about 1.5 hours to get to the mid point.. so do plan your time properly in advance.

When you get to midpoint, you have a choice to hike up, or take a cable car, which was only a couple of minutes ride. Hiking would take us an hour probably. Everywhere in China is crowded, so expect many people here. The queue for the cable car was really long, but we didn't wait too long either, cos each car can take up to 100 people.

As we reached there at almost 10am, it was already crowded, and it was rather cloudy and foggy that day, so the view wasn't as fabulous, so we were not really wow-ed by it.

2  Thank elshjj
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The top is the best, but in order to get there, one has to suffer awful lot.

The monkeys will drive you crazy, they are everywhere near by the steps. On the way up, stop by a little stand to buy an ice coffee to cool yourself down from all the climbing. One more thing, do forget your umbrella.

The view up there probably would have been ok had there been one- Too foggy when I was up there.

1  Thank Mike D
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2012

along the thousands steps up to the Emeishan, along the way you'll bunch of monkeys and you'll also see some mean Chinese people throwing rocks at them for no reason at all.

I heard Emeishan gets very foggy, but I didn't know it gets so foggy and you can't see more then 20ft. We walked in the fog, cold and misty air till we get up to the top, then we realize there's nothing too see LOL all covered by the fog. If wasn't for the fog, I don't think it's worth the time to photograph a big statue(like the ones you'll see in Thailand) and walk up to anther temple.

But the long climb was a good exercise tho ;)

1  Thank Susan D