We rented Casa Oceana, sister house to Casa Exotica, for 10 days and it was fantastic. We had a group of 8 ranging in age from 9 to 46. The house was much larger in person than the pictures make it appear. Plenty of room for everyone and lots of privacy for when you needed time to yourself.
Owners/Managers were very helpful, flexible and easy to get along with. I wouldn't hesitate to rent again.
The house is huge and sits on a private street, in a secure, guarded, gated development with only 5 other homes. We were the only ones occupying any of the homes the entire time we were there.
We were met by the Managers at arrival, shown around and left to enjoy our vacation. Tons of room for everyone. The separate Casita is fantastic! The house has anything you could need and was clean. Managers are helpful, flexible and responsible.
The house is within driving distance of anything you would want to enjoy around the Jaco and Manuel Antonio areas but is also away from all the touristy, noisy, areas. The only sounds we heard were the ocean waves crashing during the evening and birds calling in the mornings. The views from the house are stunning!
Following are tips just based on my experience, not a drawback of the house but FYI for anyone thinking of renting. Definitely rent, you won't be disappointed!
- Located in a development which hasn't been fully completed. There are empty, half finished homes and other buildings. Secure and safe but it is off the beaten path. You will have to drive for food and drinks, not far, but nothing you could walk to.
- WiFi was great at the house for the most part but trust everyone when they say the electricity often goes out in Costa Rica. When the electricity does go out, there are plenty of lanterns but be prepared, this means no water available too as the house is on an electric pump.
- Beach closest to the house was our favorite. You could walk/bike to it but coming back might be a bit much.
- If there are renters or owners in any of the other homes on the street, you'll see and hear them. Since all of the homes are completely gorgeous, this doesn't matter much, but you can see the houses on either side of you. You'll hear any construction etc.
- Take Managers up on their offers to arrange tours or other advice. We did everything they suggested, at the times/days they suggested, and had the time of our lives!!
- Casita with 5th bedroom is fabulous, but it's far enough from the main house you wouldn't want to put kids under say 10 or so in there on their own, especially when the electricity goes out. It's perfect for extended family or teens. Our teen son and his two friends stayed in there and loved it. It's really big!
- You will want a rental car if you stay in this property unless you don't plan on leaving it. If you rely on a cab. Our experience was it will take about 20 to 30 minutes for one to arrive, if you can get one to come out there. After that, we decided to just have a DD if we planned on drinking while we were out and about. We didn't do any of the local buses, though I wouldn't hesitate. There is a bus stop off the main road, pretty close to the entrance road up to the house. It would be a pretty long walk down and back up if you go with the bus.
- The pool area! Loved it. The pool is a play pool so no deep end. The pool was kept immaculately clean by the pool guy's visit every single morning. Lots of room to lounge around the pool, eat outside under the covered Rancho, have morning coffee on the patios.
- Rooftop terrace!! Another favorite spot. Great star gazing and place to cool off at night. Since there is a rooftop terrace, it goes without saying there are a lot of stairs in this home. If you have anyone in your family who has mobility issues or tiny toddlers, this may not be the best for them.
- Bugs and critters are a part of Costa Rica. Believe everyone who tells you that! Bring plenty of bug spray and you'll be fine. The house has plenty of screened windows but be prepared as the house is very conducive to leaving the big patio doors open and bringing the outside in.
Have a great time and pick this property as your home base while you explore the Southern Pacific part of Costa Rica!!
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Families with young children|