“High-price, Low-standard”
Review of The House Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

The House Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Fine Dining restaurant & bar with a contemporary theme. A varied menu of modern British cuisine ,any dietary requirements can be catered for please inform us when you book.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“High-price, Low-standard”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

!!READ BEFORE VISITING!!
Visit date: 13/04/2013
40th Birthday Party
13 People

So there were 13 of us booked in for my 40th birthday, we were expecting fantastic meals and hoped that we'd found somewhere of great quality but this were not the case. The starters were adequate except for the halumi cheese, it were cold and tasted slightly burnt and the prawns which were under-cooked and mushy. Entrees were far below expectations, below average standards in fact-the quality of steak and pork platter were ridiculously disappointing but all the meals were bad and a complete waste of £16-£20 a meal. Vegetables were charged extra at £2.50 a portion and that portion wouldn't fill anyone! Chips and fries were the same! Due to the fact I am myself a former head-chef I think the food is disgracefully over-priced! Then when we got home, we came to realize they had put a 10% service charge on top of our bill! We can not fault the service we received at all but the fact we had an extra charge on the top of such an expensive bill is angering, ESPECIALLY when we found out that this charge were only added to them tables with more than 8 people! I hate to say it but we will NEVER be eating there again.

Gill was a very attentive, lovely hostess but the food were just disgraceful. Most meals would have been sent back but members of our party didn't want to upset/hassle me with it being my birthday.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Jonii P

Bradford, Yorkshire
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to The House last night for his birthday. We had both been really looking forward to it as the reviews were so good. I booked about six weeks ago as wanted to be sure to get table so we were a bit surprised when we were sat next to the toilets especially when there were so many empty tables! We had a pleasant greeting and the staff seemed attentive, unfortunately this did not last. We got the impression that two of the waiting staff were very new, so we understand that everyone has to learn however when we had finished our mains, we sat for at least 20 minutes with dirty plates in front of us even though the staff passed us many times. In the end I asked them to remove them.

We had a drink in the bar area before eating which is very pleasant and we both commented on how immaculately clean everywhere was; the glass tables were sparkling and this extended to the loos which were quite lovely.

We were given an amuse bouche which was a deep fried goats cheese ball which was quite nice.

I had the seafood platter for starter but there were no deep fried prawns on it - I thought I had misread the menu but I have
just checked and they are definitely mentioned. It was very nice and the pâté was delicious. Having said that t did not blow me away. My husband chose the mussels off the blackboard but when they came the sauce was very watery with not much taste. For entree I had the lamb cooked various ways and that was ok. The liver was so overlooked it was rubbery and the shredded lamb ball was not to my taste. The shepherds pie was delicious and the chops were a bit overlooked for my taste. My husband had the sea bass which was soggy. We are used to having crispy skin on sea bass. For side orders we ordered cauliflower cheese which was very nice and chunky chips which were flavourless but this will be down to the potatoes used.

We ordered coffees which were so nice my husband asked what coffee was used.

I can't say how disappointed we were and for the price we paid - £100+ including drinks - we had expected to really enjoy it. Reading the other reviews perhaps we were just unlucky but we would not recommend and will not be returning.

4 Thank pxbradford
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Very nice but not outstanding....”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Had a pleasant meal here, it wasn’t top notch 5 star but very good. Food was fine and the staff were very attentive. Only negative was it was a bit cool and I swapped seats with my partner so she was closer to the radiator! Will probably return at some point in the future but not at the top of my list.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Mike W
Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
“Great, again.”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Love the House, the food, the wine and the service all excell. It is at a price point where you're tresting yourself but it's worth saving up for.
The menu has changed since my last visit and new dishes were all good.
The chef can cook a steak to perfection.

Can't fault it, I'll be back.

Mirfield
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I am surprised that this restaurant receives so many Five star reviews. We visited for a 2.00pm Lunch booking to find the Restaurant empty apart from a table obviously occupied by a party of close friends of the owners.
The menu was pretty average with nothing particularly shouting out. I ordered Yorkshire pudding starter followed by traditional Roast Pork.
The Yorkshire Pudding was warm and soggy, not crisp at all, served on a cold plate.
The Pork was dry and not particularly appetising. It was served again on a cold plate and the apple sauce was missing.
My wife ordered a starter which included a Bread Muffin which was old and dry.

I felt a lot of effort had gone into the Decor and overall modern appearance but this alone does not make a Restaurant. The food is the Primary reason why customers will travel miles to a restaurant for and unless the owners appreciate this they will I am afraid suffer the results.

Shame.