“Fantastic”

Jungle Inn
Wongawallan, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My family and I stayed here and were blown away with the beauty of the place, we stayed in the honeymoon suite at the top of the stairs, which was very clean and tidy and had a fantastic view of the river and the jungle in front, staff and in general all the people we met were so friendly. Did a 2 day trek into the jungle with 9 and 10 year old girls which they loved, our guides Didi and Azar were fantastic with the girls helping them all the time. We also got to see a thomas leaf monkey with her baby which came and sat right next the the girls, also orangutangs, white handed gibbons, we heard the sabangs (black gibbons) but didn't see them, We also did the elephant trek, washed and fed them which was awsome, we organised all this through Hass at Jungle Inn, he also organised the permit to go over to the feeding platform to see the orangutangs, he was very good.
We also tubed down the river to Bohor Rock with Freddie and john which was great fun. and the girls got to ride on the roof of the bus on the way back.
If felt very safe for the girls to go off and play by the river as there was always someone around watching them.
Wouldn't hesitate in going again.
Steve W

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hector321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Auroville, india
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Totally inn!

When we arrived without any advance booking, we were offered the "honeymoon suite" at a reduced rate, the second last room at the top of the stairs. It is actually a space to accommodate a full family, there is taste in the choice of furniture and decoration, a toilet and a bathroom on the rocks, and a door given on the waterfall is included. There is a super great view from the front terrace on what i would call a "jungle wall" and a friendly restaurant downstairs with good food. Yes, it is a hit!
There is quite a big development around the guest-house which means that the picture of the guest-house is quite obsolete. However, it really does not matter once you "get it" that Bukit lawang is "made for tourists" who will go probably once to the feeding platform, unavoidably will book at least one half-day or full day trek or more... and perhaps do a tubing trip. Sundays are pure madness with hundreds of city people from Medan rightfully coming to get a taste of jungle, it will be the best time for you to be on a jungle walk.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CeciliaDidier
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I went there on my own and quite last minute. I spent around IDR 2 milion on transport (minimum of 3hrs from Medan), food, short tour to see the orangutans, and a room.
Arranged it all through Hass.

Jungle Inn is located at the far end close to the feeding platform for orangutans. Not that we see any of them coming out of the trees. Only when we walked through the woods we saw a couple of them amazing creatures.

Room was spacious as was the bathroom with a hot shower downstairs. The bed however didn't look that clean, but if i'd stay another night I probably got over that and got a proper sleep. I can never sleep the first night in a strange bed anyway. Unfortunately I stayed only one night.
Unfortunate because in those 24 hrs, I did have a good time.
The guys are very friendly and helpful. In the evening power went off for a couple of hours, meanwhile we were entertained by them singing (a bit off key :)) and playing guitar, by candlelight. It felt SO relaxed!

The food was good as well: I had the gado gado, scrambled eggs with toast (breakfast) and soto ayam, all good.
The guide Hajar (who was also my porter since i had a suitcase with me, not a handy thing to bring along) was very patient with me as I am not at all sporty so I get tired easily. The way up was rather steep, i think. And yes I am also very lazy :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dinidanmaarweer
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

From the moment I arrived, I felt at home. I was given a welcome bottle of water and ordered a delicious kopi luwak. The room was large with a balcony and beautiful outdoor shower. The bed was comfy (pillows could have been newer) and I could see monkeys from the room!

The knowledgeable staff organised an amazing day trek (I saw adult and baby orang utans, lemur, pheasants and other primates) which finished with a tube ride down the river. Unforgettable!

The staff were even so friendly they dinked me by motorbike to a nearby town so that I could go to an ATM.

I would stay here again - amazing vibe!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this hotel as it was the only one which is advertised as having hot water on Trip advisor. However, be aware there is no hot water. When we arrived, we were told that the hot water stopped working "yesterday". However, we later realised that there actually NO hot tap in the shower. I had to ask for a fan, and was given a pedestal fan, which was a god send at night, as the heat really doesn't drop much at night. The fish curry and the vegetable curry in the restaurant was excellent. The room is big, and not open to the environment, so not possible for monkeys or other wild creatures to get into the room. The room was not cleaned for the 4 nights we were there. They did give me a broom when I asked, and I was able to sweep the tiles floor to keep the room clean and keep the ants away.
The best thing was the location on the river edge, with the national park directly across the river. We were able to swim in the river to cool off as needed.

Room Tip: We had a river view room, which allowed us to just walk out of the room to the river for a swim, exc...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Schiphol, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We had great days here. Very nice staff. We had to leave at 6 in the morning but they happily fixed us breakfast and waived us goodbye. Of course you don't have the overall convenience of home, just remember where you are and go with the flow. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank yotravels
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The Jungle Inn is a very welcoming and charming place to stay. The staff are excellent, so very friendly and genuine. The location can't be beat especially if you have a room looking over the river. The food is also quite tasty. The jungle inn is a short walk to the orangutan feeding platform and the stay are well versed in arranging guides for jungles treks and tubing, etc. I certainly hope that I have the opportunity to stay in Bukit Lawang again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, it's a great view to wake up to.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple