“Nice place, nice people, amazing food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bukit Lawang
Green Hill Guesthouse & Trekking
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Brought me to and from the bus stop for no extra charge.
Very friendly people.
They helped me arrange further travel plans.
Seemed like a 'normal' price for the room standard.
The dinners were awesome! They were the best meals I had had in a long time. Nice work!
They assured me that they could arrange a trek for me (which was also awesome).
It would have been perfect if they had wifi :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights. Unfortunately my bag went to Bangkok by mistake and Air Asia said I would have to collect it from Medan (3-4 hrs one way) myself. The staff were brilliant in ensuring I relaxed and made the best of the situation whilst unknown to me they were working behind the scenes to get me my bag. On the second morning I came down to find someone had driven through the night to get my bag. Outstanding! More generally I found the room to be exactly as expected, basic but perfectly adequate and good value for money. The food at breakfast was very good, try the 'breakfast booster' to get you going! The lunches on the treks were really good and the evening meals offered plenty of choice and good quality. The location is wonderful overlooking the river and forest beyond. I was fortunate enough to watch a male orangutan make his nest for the night directly across from the restaurant. I also saw him the next morning ambling through the trees. The walk to the river crossing to the NP is just a few minutes and you do not need a guide if you only want to visit the feeding platform (you still have to pay though). Be warned, orangutans do not always appear at the platform as they are truly wild. I had plenty of close sightings though and I highly recommend getting green hill to organise a guided trek for you. When I come back here I will definitely stay here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Wow this was the first place we stayed in Sumatra and by the time we left, I knew that Green Hill and Bukit Lawang would be a hard act to follow! The A team refers to Pandi, Karim, and Daddy Cool absolutely brilliant staff, nothing too much trouble and I can not rate them highly enough. I would employ them! The food was great the beer was cold and everyone in Bukit Lawang very friendly. The rooms are basic but you are not in the jungle to spend the day in your room! There is much more to Bukit Lawang than just Orangutan! It is a tourist destination for local tourists and they get lots from Medan. So there are lots of opportunities for people watching, swimming in the river, tomb stoning, and tubing. Saturday night in Bukit Lawang is rocking, we had a brilliant night! So to the serious business of seeing the wildlife. It was amazing we did a two trips to the feeding station in the national park and we were lucky enough to see Orangutans on both occasions and also on our day trek. Along with Thomas leaf monkeys a peacock and a monitor lizard. The butterflies and other insects are abundant, beware of leeches in the jungle, but as I am a blood donor I wasn't too worried with the amount of blood it sucked from me! The guides that we had and met were brilliant and they did NOT feed any of the wildlife that we came across and made a point of saying that it is not good for the wildlife to become dependent on humans for food I totally agree with this. We had Iman, and Rasta, who also helped my Mother (nearly 70yrs old) up to the station and who had also brought a improvised walking stick for her, they were so kind. We also met Arifif another excellent guide. We had a wonderful time and I would like to say thank you very much to all the staff and everyone who lives and works in Bukit Lawang I love it

Room Tip: This is a jungle lodge, do not book it if you are looking for .... A lift, aircon, room service, ha...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sophie H
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My partner and I stayed for two nights in the 'basic room' at Green Hill, which was indeed very basic but also charming with a great view of the jungle. The room is open to the air so it almost feels as though you're sleeping in the jungle.

Good food, a very laid-back vibe, four tiny kittens running around squeaking and at least two cats - a bonus if you like felines (as I do).

I booked Green Hill because I had read that Andrea's husband was a fantastic guide, but he apparently doesn't do guiding any more. The guide who met us on arrival suggested we join up with another couple as it would be cheaper, which put me off a bit.

I asked for another guide and we ended up going with Papola (as guide), Dedi Black (as assistant) and Kamal (as cook and support). They were a fantastic team and we had a great trip.

Dedi ran ahead every time we stopped to look for more wildlife. Papola was full of stories and puzzles in the evening - he's a real character. On the second day we went up to a waterfall above the main one. The route involved a lot of slippery rocks and Kamal was a real gent helping me at each step.

We did the trek near Bukit Lawang and so inevitably ran into other groups at times. Everyone seemed to be feeding the orangutans.
One of the other tourists (by coincidence, the woman of the couple we were supposed to be joined with) was actually grabbed by a female orangutan who then wouldn't let go, after the guide had put down fruit.
It was explained to me that if they weren't fed, the orangutans would go deeper into the jungle, tourists wouldn't get to see them and stop coming and without the flow of tourist income the forest would lose its protected status and disappear.

I wanted to speak to one of the rangers or conservationists about this dilemma but didn't have a chance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
noonooUk, Owner at Green Hill Guesthouse & Trekking, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Mel, thanks for taking the time to write a review and pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. With regards to trekking: perhaps had you memtioned when booking that you wished to trek with Mbra we could have arranged that for you. He does still do trekking but as we have a pool of very good guides he does less now than before. Also...there is never any pressure on our guests to join..if we have other guests wanting to do the same trek then we check....but if guests, like yourself, prefer to trek on theor own....then that is no problem at all. Now...you mention that you saw other people feeding orangutans...and the other lady you were to be joimed with was grabbed by an orangutan. Green Hill operate a strict 100% conservation focussed and sustainable trekking policy. None of our guides feed orangutan or other animals. I am sure you saw all the information in green hill. And the reason you were given for it happening...is not a true reflection of the situatiom...it is rather a naive but honest view of a minority of people. At green hill we do not hold to that view. If any guests have experiences like that trekking i would be very pleased to hear from them in a private email...and Mel..please do drop me an email...i would very much like to hear about your experience and the feedback you were given. But....i am pleased that you enjoyed your trek and our guides took good care of you. Many thanks again for yoir review...and happy travels.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Great place, amazingly friendly service, I fell in love with how helpful and friendly the people of bukit lawang were with me and my friends. The Room was really great with an awesome balcony view of the river for a ridiculously cheap price. I'm lost for words still.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We've stayed for 4 nights at Green Hill. One of these nights we slept in the jungle, as part of our 2-day jungle trek. The trek was amazing, seen 3 orangutans and also some other animals. The guides were really great and helpful. We've had so much fun together! Our stay at the guesthouse was really nice as well. The staff is very friendly and the food is nice as well. Our room (a private bungalow) was a little back-to-basic, but everything we need was there. The shower is beautiful! The great thing about green hill is their ecological view of the jungle and the wildlife there!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I had emailed and reserved the budget room for 60,000 as I was trying to save some money. The room itself wasn't too bad and had a window (without any glass) and the bed was comfy. The room is right by the restaurant so I was worried about the noise but no one stays up too late in bukit lawang, there were also a lot of cats around but with the door shut they didn't seem to get in but they might be used to going in when no one is staying in the room.
The problem I had was with the bathroom. I knew it was a shared bathroom and it was also the main bathroom for the restaurant, the problem was it only had traditional squat toilets. I hadn't been feeling well so this wasn't great for me. Also when I got up in the middle of the night there were ants all over the toilet and the floor.
I moved out of this room the next day and went somewhere else because their other rooms were full but my friends did stay in the 200,000 room which they liked.
I did eat here most days and the food was really good and great value. We also arranged the day trek with them and had a brilliant time and all the staff in General we're really helpful.

All I would say is that just think how budget you want your room before going for a budget room as there are many really nice rooms in bukit lawang.

Stayed: April 2014