“Great staff, terrible rooms”

Rainforest Guesthouse
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at rainforest, in between an overnight jungle trek arranged by the hotel.
Positives: The staff were helpful, and hilarious (nightly singing). Beautiful location right on the river. The jungle trek they arranged was amazing, we saw 11 orangutans, swam in waterfalls, etc...
Negatives: mid range rooms (75000 IDR/night) were small, the bed immediately sank to the floor, and the whole room smelled of sewage. Their food is bland at best, you can find much better along the river, and the beer was more expensive than other places. I'd look for another place before choosing rainforest.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 28 July 2013

If you are nature lover, this is a place for you. Situated next to the river, surrounded by jungle, it looks like a small paradise. Long hair guys, guitars, chill out...
I had a room in Nora's homestay, it is like a bamboo cottage, with mattress, mosquito net and shared bathroom. There were monkeys coming every morning and making a lot of noise, even stole some biscuits from my room through the window. Even you will not have the best sleep here, it is still worth of stay and you will not forget the atmosphere. When I came I got a motorbike pick up on bus station by guy (super cute!) working in the guesthouse which was really convenient (walking takes 30 minutes). There are lots of young people working and they are really cool, playing guitar, singing, taking care of you, owner was okay too. What I totally loved was the food. I spent 6 weeks in Indonesia and traveled Sumatra, Bali, Lombok, put food here was the best! I did jungle trek with them, wanted 3 days but there were not enough people so did 2 days only but was very satisfied with guide, got most experienced one (Danny) and had a real adventure spending the night outside in the jungle with heavy rain, which was a bit scary but not dangerous at the end. Do visit Batu caves, it is really nice. Recommend to take someone from staff with you. Bukit Lawang is easily accessible from Medan and is a must in Sumatra. Miss it a lot!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ksulka
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Nora and family (including sister Nella) are the most kind, warm and helpful family in Indonesia. I loved every minute staying at Rainforest because of them - so much kindness, jokes and laughter, especially the singing together in the evening!
The guesthouse is in great surroundings, next to the big river - a great place to eat and relax before trekking. The rooms are reasonably priced, the cheapest being 40,000 a night with a shared bathroom. The mixture of Indonesian and Western food in the restaurant is good also.
I booked my 2 day trek with Nora after getting good reviews from other guests who had also booked a trek with her. Be assured, Nora will get you a good Guide and you will have a great time. I didnt meet a single traveller who had a bad trek with Nora. Your bags will also be kept in a safe place at Rainforest whilst you are trekking. Thank you Nora, Nella, Harry and Donny for a great stay and excellent trek! x

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2013

After deciding in the spring of 2012 to visit the country where my grand mother was born, the welcome in Bukit Lawang couldn't been better after arriving in Medan( Cities in Indonesia... Horrible). First, after arriving a 5 hours bus ride at the bus terminal of Bukit Lawang, an Indonesian man called Jensen (real name Cebongtadpole, but to hard for travellers;)) brought us to Bukit Lawang and showed us all kinds of different guesthouse, we decided to go to Nora's Rainforest Guesthouse. We slept in a 2 rooms cottage, very clean, everything working.

Our welcome was very warm, directly the whole family was introduced to us and we were invited to the birthday party of one of the niece of Nora and Nella. This is how I figured Indonesian to be: nice, relaxed, social and above all very friendly people! The second evening we have had a wonderful evening at the birthday; free food, drinks and the very nice vocals of Nella!

The third day we should go into the jungle for two days with Jensen, but unfortunately he couldn't go anymore. However this wasn't a big deal because they (the people of the Rainforest Guesthouse) has arranged for us that we can co on a two day trip with Thomas (owner of a guesthouse so called Thomas Retreat). We have had two awesome days at the jungle!

When we returned after the two days jungle trip, we stayed for two extra nights by Nora and Nella; eat and drink a lot of the fantastic and the lovely cold Bintangs!

At the last day the arranged a fast trip to Lake Toba (even with a stop at the airport to buy flight tickets), but we did not have enough money with us to pay everything at once: no problem at all! They suggested to get to an ATM and give the bus driver the money!

Lovely place, we can recommend this nice Guesthouse to anybody and we return definitely!

Room Tip: Take the nasi goreng special!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is probably the best guesthouse I have been to in Indonesia. The staff is super friendly and always willing to entertain you. I was there for around 10 days and they always took me with them to parties, swimming, small jungle trips, the bat cave etc. I booked my guide there aswell for a 2 day jungle trek. it was really worth it. They explained the ruled about the jungle beforehand and didnt feed the animals at all. The food we got was amazing and I don't regret going with them.

The food in the restaurant is also amazing, try the banana pancakes for breakfast! In the evenings the staff and all the backpackers will come together and sing and drink together. I got sick for the first time in Asia there on my 3 month trip. When they noticed I was sick they started caring for me. they gave me what they call 'jungle medicin'. I had to put that on my belly and they gave me something different to chew on. because I wasnt feeling very hungry they made soup for me also, free of charge. They really care about their guests and I dont agree with some bad statements that were written here.

Jan

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Janneman-a
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I loved my stay at the rainforest guest house. It was very reasonably priced, i really enjoyed the food and there was a great atmosphere in the eveining with nice fellow guests, friendly staff and some music. It was ideally located for the jungle treks which i would also highly recommend. The staff made me feel very welcome, and gave me great direction which made my stay a really enjoyable one. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tomkirk77
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I've stayed at rainforest for 2 years in a row. The first time I stayed at rainforest for a month while I was doing other research. The rooms were cheap, the food is great, the people are awesome and the location is beautiful. I enjoyed myself so much last year that I made room in my trip to Sri Lanka to stop back for a couple days and celebrate my birthday with my awesome friends at rainforest this year.I plan to come back as soon as I can,

If you run into any issues or have any questions, ask anyone at rainforest for advice- especially Nella. She is the best hostess I've run across in all my travels.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends