“Very nice stay! ”

Rainforest Guesthouse
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at the rainforest. Evening singing, good food, nice staff and a great jungle trek.

Nora took us to a traditional wedding and gave us a cooking lesson which was really nice. And later donny took us to the Jungle disco.

We definitely recommend staying at rainforest!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We arrived at Rainforest after a long travel on the over night bus from Banda Aceh, we were recommended by a friend of the persons guest house we had stayed in in Pulau Weh. As its recommened in Lonely Planet and Nora's home stay had good reviews on websites. Firsty I have to say Nora is not this friendly welcoming character portrayed in reviews. She sat in the chair most of the time talking to other staff members and was not helpful or bothered about guests when asked anything and just gave this disgusted screwed up faced look and brushed you off onto some other member of staff. Whilst checking in we enquired about the jungle trek. We signed up for a 2 day trek with a stay over in the jungle starting the next day. It cost 900,000r and we realised we would have to go to an ATM to get some more money out. Donny said we could pay 500,000 then and 400,000 when we returned. The first incident was not long after going up to our room. I went for a shower and left my bag on the bed with my purse. My boyfriend was outside so I didn't think anything of it. After I finished getting ready I counted my money before going to have a look around for some trousers for the trek. 200,000r was missing. I pulled my bags apart shook everything out and it was nowhere to be seen. We couldn't work out where it had gone and after being really angry for some time just accepted there was nothing I could do about it had to just forget about it...
The next day we went to the jungle and before leaving we were asked if we wanted to keep our room. We decided to save some money and were told our valuables would be kept in a locked safe box in Nora's room and our bags would be locked away as well. The jungle trek was a great experience, although tarnished by other members of the group and the guide doing everything stated NOT to do for the safety of the oran-utans and their survival. One member of the group even threw a big branch at the oran-utan and her baby to get it to come down and nothing was said to him by the guide. It was incredibly irritating and I found it a bit disturbing to watch. We stayed the night in the jungle and returned the next day to the Rainforest. My boyfriend went to collect our bags and found them left on the balcony outside. I went to Nora's room and asked her for our valuables. She threw the key on the ironing table and told me to come in the room and get it out the locker myself. On returning to the room I noticed that the padlock on my bag was open. I was tired after the trek and not having any sleep in the jungle so I had a nap. When I woke up I started to sort my things out, once again I checked my money and once again more money was missing. When my boyfriend returned from the shop I told him and he checked his money and low and behold money was missing from his as well. We went to confront Nora about it as she had the key to the locker and it was in her room and her husband had been in the jungle with us. She responded with a grunt and shooed us away saying, "We talk later". We left and ate dinner somewhere else, on return Nora sent her husband up to talk to us. He said we could have the money back deducted from the outstanding trek money which was nice of him, but the damage was done and we no longer felt comfortable there so the following morning we left to find somewhere else so we didn't leave Bukit Lawang on a bad note.

Overall the washing was extortionately priced, 115,000r for a load, don't try the pizza, be very cautious of the pitch,"don't take money into the jungle" and "it's in safe hands".. It's a shame to say I would avoid the place as the staff members are very friendly aside from the rude and obnoxious blimp of an owner who seems to be too over weight to be bothered to help or move.

There are cheaper places to stay with friendly staff and a fan in the room.

Another tip for trekking. Take something for a pillow and something to keep you warm at night if you feel the cold. The camp is a shelter with a rock hard floor and just a thin sheet to sleep under.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lora B
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We had contacted Nora's as a friend had highly recommended it. They arranged to pick us up late at night and cab us in which was very convenient. Spent one night there and the room was nice enough, but everything was quite damp, as could be expected I suppose! Everyone was very friendly to us, and we had a nice breakfast in the morning, although allot yourself enough time! It took us about 25 minutes to get fried noodles and instant coffee, although we were the only ones in the place! After we had arranged the trek with them, she told us we would go with another guide instead, which was fine, but clearly just skimming some profit off the top and passing us along. When we came back, had some more nice food there, although the menu is quite small compared to some other guest houses. Then, we were told that since a friend of her's was driving back to town, we would go with him instead of her driving service, so once again, taking some profit and passing us along to someone else. Finally, when we paid our bill, they would not honour the rate we had booked with through hostelbookers, and somehow this could not be communicated, so we paid double what we had booked. All of the staff is very friendly and happy to chat or just sit around and relax with you. Not much choice, but nice food for what we tried.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Even if we had come here out of season, everybody was nice and welcoming! We had a nice trkking day organized from Nora's team and cheerfull evenings with good food. The rooms were nice and simple and ok. Nora helped us in organising our further travel, which saved much time.
The food was great and I wished I have had the time to make a cooking course there. Nora looks after her good reputation and is engaging in the care for the forest and the village. Thank you very much!

Room Tip: We had a room with an inside bathroom upstairs, with had a western toilet, but no flush, like maybe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We didn't stay at Rainforest but ate here on many occasions. The western food was great and had a home-cooked taste about it! We also had their Banana cake known locally as Gadok Gadok, with chocolate and coconut sprinkles - amazing! A must try! The staff were friendly and recognised us as regulars. There was also wifi (albeit very slow and barely working), but it was rare finding any Internet at all in Bukit Lawang!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a nice and comfortable place to stay. The cottages on the ground are
clean and the beds very comfortable to sleep.

Unfortunately in our first night a Rat started running through the ceiling of the bamboo cottage.
Due to the bamboo-padded walls it was easy or the rat to climb down and run around our bed, eat our cookies and keep us up all night.

The next morning we asked the owner to do something against it and the told us the neighbours had a problem with removing their litter. Nothing changed and we left the room for a concrete built accomodation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nils V
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

It's really well located next to the river, there is a good atmosphere at night. Generally I found the staff really helpful and nice but the owner Nora was not friendly, you felt like you were interrupting her watching tv or playing on her computer when you needed to ask for something. She came across as not caring. The rooms were really basic, I had one of the cheapest ones and it was in a dark dingy room just a mattress and thst was it, and not even a mossie net, no fan, horrible shared bathroom, I wouldn't recommend. However the more expensive rooms looked nice.

• Stayed: September 2013