“peaceful riverside place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rainforest Guesthouse

Rainforest Guesthouse
Belgrade, null, Serbia
“peaceful riverside place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were brought here after the long trip from Lake Toba. The accomodations are simple but comfortable and affordable and the food is great! There's a beautiful swimming spot right at the guesthouse, just look out for the monkeys!! Our 1 day trek (organised through Rain Forest) was beyond expectation. The guides were friendly and extremely knowledgable, turning a tiring walk into a great adventure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Casablanca, Morocco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

After visiting beautiful Lake Toba we survived the 9 hour shuttle bus ride up to Bukit Lawang. We hadn't arranged a place to stay, but having met other people while walking around we decided to stay here at RainForest after seeing the rooms and prices. Since we were just travelling for a week, we upped the anty and splurged for the honeymoon suite "rose room" and it was quite large, high celing, wondeful shower seperate bedroom. It was worth the extra money in our opinion compared to the smaller 50,000 or 75,000 rooms. Anyways - I really liked Rainforest because of their connection to Josef and Henry, our two guides for when we took the 2D/1N jungle trek. Josef works at Rainforest and also has his own trekking/guide business, and Henry is a jack-of-all-trades I think. Overall these two guys were awesome guys, very knowledgable, respectful, honest, funny, and happy people. It was a joy to be with them for the jungle trek. After returning via river rafts we walked around Bukit Lawang a bit, lounged around and ate at Rainforest (good curry and other foods). I exchanged some money right there with Nora, that was nice. But otherwise Nora seemed to be more disturbed by her guests than present herself in a hospitible manner. All other staff there were great though. We had no issue with leaving our bags while we were trekking, but I did have two of my books missing for a few hours until a staff member found them. I left them ontop of my backpack and when we returned, they were gone. Nora didn't know so she made me wait until somebody else arrived. She didn't know either. Finally a younger staff worker pointed them out, it was above the TV in the bar. Not sure how they got there, but a bit mysterious if you ask me! I'd be careful if leaving valuable behind. I think you can find cheaper places to stay in Bukit Lawang, but Rainforest was overall a great value, good location, and good staff. I'd recommend.

Room Tip: They have 3-4 different kids of rooms with a large price range, so ask to see them all before choosi...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at the rainforest. Evening singing, good food, nice staff and a great jungle trek.

Nora took us to a traditional wedding and gave us a cooking lesson which was really nice. And later donny took us to the Jungle disco.

We definitely recommend staying at rainforest!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Medan, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We arrived at Rainforest after a long travel on the over night bus from Banda Aceh, we were recommended by a friend of the persons guest house we had stayed in in Pulau Weh. As its recommened in Lonely Planet and Nora's home stay had good reviews on websites. Firsty I have to say Nora is not this friendly welcoming character portrayed in reviews. She sat in the chair most of the time talking to other staff members and was not helpful or bothered about guests when asked anything and just gave this disgusted screwed up faced look and brushed you off onto some other member of staff. Whilst checking in we enquired about the jungle trek. We signed up for a 2 day trek with a stay over in the jungle starting the next day. It cost 900,000r and we realised we would have to go to an ATM to get some more money out. Donny said we could pay 500,000 then and 400,000 when we returned. The first incident was not long after going up to our room. I went for a shower and left my bag on the bed with my purse. My boyfriend was outside so I didn't think anything of it. After I finished getting ready I counted my money before going to have a look around for some trousers for the trek. 200,000r was missing. I pulled my bags apart shook everything out and it was nowhere to be seen. We couldn't work out where it had gone and after being really angry for some time just accepted there was nothing I could do about it had to just forget about it...
The next day we went to the jungle and before leaving we were asked if we wanted to keep our room. We decided to save some money and were told our valuables would be kept in a locked safe box in Nora's room and our bags would be locked away as well. The jungle trek was a great experience, although tarnished by other members of the group and the guide doing everything stated NOT to do for the safety of the oran-utans and their survival. One member of the group even threw a big branch at the oran-utan and her baby to get it to come down and nothing was said to him by the guide. It was incredibly irritating and I found it a bit disturbing to watch. We stayed the night in the jungle and returned the next day to the Rainforest. My boyfriend went to collect our bags and found them left on the balcony outside. I went to Nora's room and asked her for our valuables. She threw the key on the ironing table and told me to come in the room and get it out the locker myself. On returning to the room I noticed that the padlock on my bag was open. I was tired after the trek and not having any sleep in the jungle so I had a nap. When I woke up I started to sort my things out, once again I checked my money and once again more money was missing. When my boyfriend returned from the shop I told him and he checked his money and low and behold money was missing from his as well. We went to confront Nora about it as she had the key to the locker and it was in her room and her husband had been in the jungle with us. She responded with a grunt and shooed us away saying, "We talk later". We left and ate dinner somewhere else, on return Nora sent her husband up to talk to us. He said we could have the money back deducted from the outstanding trek money which was nice of him, but the damage was done and we no longer felt comfortable there so the following morning we left to find somewhere else so we didn't leave Bukit Lawang on a bad note.

Overall the washing was extortionately priced, 115,000r for a load, don't try the pizza, be very cautious of the pitch,"don't take money into the jungle" and "it's in safe hands".. It's a shame to say I would avoid the place as the staff members are very friendly aside from the rude and obnoxious blimp of an owner who seems to be too over weight to be bothered to help or move.

There are cheaper places to stay with friendly staff and a fan in the room.

Another tip for trekking. Take something for a pillow and something to keep you warm at night if you feel the cold. The camp is a shelter with a rock hard floor and just a thin sheet to sleep under.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lora B
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We had contacted Nora's as a friend had highly recommended it. They arranged to pick us up late at night and cab us in which was very convenient. Spent one night there and the room was nice enough, but everything was quite damp, as could be expected I suppose! Everyone was very friendly to us, and we had a nice breakfast in the morning, although allot yourself enough time! It took us about 25 minutes to get fried noodles and instant coffee, although we were the only ones in the place! After we had arranged the trek with them, she told us we would go with another guide instead, which was fine, but clearly just skimming some profit off the top and passing us along. When we came back, had some more nice food there, although the menu is quite small compared to some other guest houses. Then, we were told that since a friend of her's was driving back to town, we would go with him instead of her driving service, so once again, taking some profit and passing us along to someone else. Finally, when we paid our bill, they would not honour the rate we had booked with through hostelbookers, and somehow this could not be communicated, so we paid double what we had booked. All of the staff is very friendly and happy to chat or just sit around and relax with you. Not much choice, but nice food for what we tried.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Even if we had come here out of season, everybody was nice and welcoming! We had a nice trkking day organized from Nora's team and cheerfull evenings with good food. The rooms were nice and simple and ok. Nora helped us in organising our further travel, which saved much time.
The food was great and I wished I have had the time to make a cooking course there. Nora looks after her good reputation and is engaging in the care for the forest and the village. Thank you very much!

Room Tip: We had a room with an inside bathroom upstairs, with had a western toilet, but no flush, like maybe...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We didn't stay at Rainforest but ate here on many occasions. The western food was great and had a home-cooked taste about it! We also had their Banana cake known locally as Gadok Gadok, with chocolate and coconut sprinkles - amazing! A must try! The staff were friendly and recognised us as regulars. There was also wifi (albeit very slow and barely working), but it was rare finding any Internet at all in Bukit Lawang!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple