“beware stay there!!”

Rainforest Guesthouse
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“beware stay there!!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nora is the fat woman who likes to brag! and the staff are thieves. they like to steal from guests. be careful of of your things, never leave anything in the room. dont trust what nora said to you. she is a big lier

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank mariananz

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tha Bo, Nong Khai, Thailand
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was a very relaxing stay for my 3 days in Bukit Lawang. It's nicely located a bit further down the path on the right side of the river. The staff was incredibly friendly - they always had something fun to chat about or a few bits of great advice to give. I also like the fact that it's a family run place.

The food is also terrific. I recommend asking for your dishes spicy - specifically the curries. They put a wild array of spices (more flavorful than actually "spicy hot") in there and it really was one of the tastier curries I've had in Indonesia. All the other food is cooked with fresh ingredients and carefully made with a true love for cooking.

The price was great as well. There are 4 options: The first two cheaper ones without a bathroom and the two "pricier" ones including the bathroom. I think the most expensive one is 100,000 IDR, and I chose the one right below at around 70,000. All that meant was I had to climb the stairs to the ones on the second level. Being that it's a bit closer to the jungle, you also get an entertaining pack of monkeys always hanging out around your lodgings. I was a fan of this - although if you get annoyed by monkeys jumping up and down on your roof early in the morning, opt for the 100,000 rooms below deck, or go the cheaper route.

I didn't trek here, but I went to the Orangutan Feeding Center which was great. There are plenty of things to do for a couple of days and Bukit Lawang is nice spot to check out. Any way you look at it, this is a great place to be.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had a nice short stay here as I booked a trek with a local guide when I arrived. They locked my luggage away for me while I was trekking.

Staff are very friendly, good food and the rooms are comfortable. Mattress on the floor and a mosquito net provided. Bathroom was clean and was not attached. I believe that there are some rooms with ensuite bathrooms.

No wifi but there are cafes in the village. A short walk (20-30 minutes) from the bus station along the canal.. you will need someone to show you or ask along the way.

Tel: 0813 6207 0656
e-mail: nora_in2003@yahoo.com

Worthwhile booking if you are going in peak season.

Located on the river just at the top of the village.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We went to a jungle trek with them. After the trek, we decided to stay at the rainforest. Nora was really nice, she helped to enjoy our days so much. We could join a traditional wedding, which was a great experience. We felt ourselves like in a big family.
The food was amazing, you can join a cooking course if you want.
The jungle trek was so good, the guides were friendly and informative. We had lot of fun.
Nora recommended a guesthouse in Berastagi, that was a good choice too.
All of the staff was really welcoming. They are happy to take care of you and make sure you have a great time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Belgrade, null, Serbia
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were brought here after the long trip from Lake Toba. The accomodations are simple but comfortable and affordable and the food is great! There's a beautiful swimming spot right at the guesthouse, just look out for the monkeys!! Our 1 day trek (organised through Rain Forest) was beyond expectation. The guides were friendly and extremely knowledgable, turning a tiring walk into a great adventure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Casablanca, Morocco
Reviewed 3 February 2014

After visiting beautiful Lake Toba we survived the 9 hour shuttle bus ride up to Bukit Lawang. We hadn't arranged a place to stay, but having met other people while walking around we decided to stay here at RainForest after seeing the rooms and prices. Since we were just travelling for a week, we upped the anty and splurged for the honeymoon suite "rose room" and it was quite large, high celing, wondeful shower seperate bedroom. It was worth the extra money in our opinion compared to the smaller 50,000 or 75,000 rooms. Anyways - I really liked Rainforest because of their connection to Josef and Henry, our two guides for when we took the 2D/1N jungle trek. Josef works at Rainforest and also has his own trekking/guide business, and Henry is a jack-of-all-trades I think. Overall these two guys were awesome guys, very knowledgable, respectful, honest, funny, and happy people. It was a joy to be with them for the jungle trek. After returning via river rafts we walked around Bukit Lawang a bit, lounged around and ate at Rainforest (good curry and other foods). I exchanged some money right there with Nora, that was nice. But otherwise Nora seemed to be more disturbed by her guests than present herself in a hospitible manner. All other staff there were great though. We had no issue with leaving our bags while we were trekking, but I did have two of my books missing for a few hours until a staff member found them. I left them ontop of my backpack and when we returned, they were gone. Nora didn't know so she made me wait until somebody else arrived. She didn't know either. Finally a younger staff worker pointed them out, it was above the TV in the bar. Not sure how they got there, but a bit mysterious if you ask me! I'd be careful if leaving valuable behind. I think you can find cheaper places to stay in Bukit Lawang, but Rainforest was overall a great value, good location, and good staff. I'd recommend.

Room Tip: They have 3-4 different kids of rooms with a large price range, so ask to see them all before choosi...