“FANTASTIC, PATIENT AND GENUINE GUIDE - wonderful Jungle experience!”

Sumatranorangutans Jungleadventure - Private Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My friend and I were fortunate enough to have Papola introduce us to the magic world of Sumatra´s Jungle! Unfortunately our holiday was running short in time so we didn´t have the opportunity to stay overnight. However, our day with Papola was nonetheless intense and magic.
You could feel the strong and genuine attachment of this kind man to the jungle and every single tree, plant and creature living in it - the kind of attachment one will only gain after numerous years of both, professional study as well as uncompromising passion. We are thankful for Papola´s lovely way to share this world with us.
I cannot see ANY (!!!) reason at all why one would dislike his work, or even worse, accuse him of nasty things such as being a liar. I have NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that the negative review below was falsely attributed to Papola!!
All I can do is to stress - yet another time - that the Jungle of Sumatra simply wouldn't have been the same without the wise, intense and gracious guidance of Papola!
People, go see Bukit Lawang, go see the Orang Utans (he will show you where), have the sweetest pineapple ever tasted (he will give it to you) and experience the soothing sound of Sumatra´s Jungle!!!

2  Thank gochmann

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We did a 2 day 1 night jungle trek with Papola and Dedi Black. Thanks to their efforts, with Dedi often running up ahead of us to find wildlife, we saw everything we wanted and more.

Papola is fantastically experienced in all things jungle having started guiding in '89 - he knew the best parts of the jungle to explore, explained the traditional uses of endemic plants and told us about his experiences (including the fact that he once guided Queen Sofia of Spain - a royal stamp of approval...) His knowledge of traditional medicine particularly came in handy when I managed to cut open my elbow, entirely my own fault, and he fixed it up with some powder and ointment he'd prepared that day from plants he'd collected under way.

Dedi was enthusiastic and energetic, entertaining us in the evening with riddles, showing us the second waterfall behind our campsite (which was nicer and more secluded than the trekker's village downstream) and generally being a laugh.

I can't recommend their team and tour enough. Boud

2  Thank Boud D
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My partner and I went on a 2-day tour with Papola as guide, Dedi Black as assistant and Kamal as cook.
All three of them provided us with a fantastic experience.
Dedi ran on ahead whenever we stopped to look for more animals to show us.
In the evening Papola was full of stories and puzzles to entertain us
We slept near the waterfall, away from the "trekkers' village" and on the second day he and Kamal took us upstream to another waterfall and pool. I had some problems getting up and down and Kamal was extremely patient.
All in all, they make a great team and I would recommend all three of them.
Mel

1  Thank Mel N
Marhen S, Owner at Sumatranorangutans Jungleadventure - Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you so much for your nice review, I need it much, hope it is help for my job.
Hope we see again.
Cheers Papola

Reviewed 20 May 2014

It was so much fun to be with Papola. I really liked him personally, felt comfortable and didn't get any annoying vibes, that I often get from locals. Papola was so nice to us. I've heard stories and local fairy tales from him, I felt like we went on a real journey not just to the jungle, but also to the culture of this place.. Something so authentic, that you can hardly get from locals that often see you just as a source of some benefits. His English was surprisengly good and I liked the stories about orangutangs (there are few that have quite a story behind:). We found them all by the way. When I will go to this trekking again, it will be only with Papola.

The trekking itself is amazing. Big advise to go at least for 2 days. You will see a real jungle, pure nature with no sings of humans around. There were so many stars in the night, I've never seen anything like this. And not even one mosquito around, so nothing was really bothering me. The only thing that I didn't like so much - the mats for sleeping in the night were too thin, so my bones were aching. Next time I go, I take care to have a nice think mat, then I will be on heaven)

Papola, thank you so much for this experience.

2  Thank Lyn_diver

Hi Lyn, thanks for your review, if you like my jungle tour activities, please tell to all of your friends and families, make them come to join my activity.
Cheers Papola

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My friend and I just finished an one day trekking we enjoyed immensely! Papola is an amazing and patient guide with a lot of knowledge of the jungle. When we were tired of the long trek he even gave me a pressure point massage such gave me the energy to continue!! All in all it was an amazing experience and we really want to come back to Bukit Lawang for a longer trek. Defenitely would take Papola again. Thanks!

2  Thank iramkarsch133