“Excellent!”

Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bitung
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Bastianos is a real good place to stay and dive the muck of the Lembeh straight. Management and staff are very welcoming, helpful & friendly. The diving centre is well run with good guides with superb eyes for the macro stuff. We rented the diving gear: it's all good, well maintained and safe. Food is good, the pool has a stunning view, so do the bungalows and (standard) rooms. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Let's make it clear, the rooms, food and location of this resort are great...but I had to rate it badly for the lack of professionalism concerning the dives and most of all, their scuba gear which was in very bad condition. My friends and I stayed 3 days in the resort and had issues with scuba gear the 8 times we dived: dysfunctional pressure gauges, leaky tanks, leaky/foamy masks, damaged wet suit...etc. When we mentioned that to the resort manager, he did not care much and actually wanted us to pay full price for the dysfunctional scuba gear...In conclusion, DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU HAVE TO RENT YOUR SCUBA GEAR !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sanchez81
Bastianos D, Manager at Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Hi there, I was quite shocked to read this review until I realised it was september last year that you visited us, some 9 months ago
I am the new manager of Bastianos Lembeh as of november last year, and can alleviate any concerns people may have regarding this post by saying we have changed our whole equipment (BCD, regs and wet suits) since I have taken over
Sorry you had a bad experience with us in the past though

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed at Bastianos in June. The managers Dave and Lauriane went out of their way to ensure we had a great time throughout our trip, and all the staff we met were really friendly. The accommodation is really nice, clean rooms with amazing views over the bay, really comfortable beds and I loved the bathrooms. The food was excellent, a mix of Indonesian and Western food and served with a smile! It's location is brilliant, close to some incredible dive sites and of course the diving is top class. The restaurant has views over the bay and there's a swimming pool where you can chill out after a dive. I would definitely recommend this resort if you're looking for somewhere friendly, relaxing and world-class diving. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Loved the place - its beautiful and well run. Dave the resort manager is great!!!

I wished I could have stayed there for a week.

The diving was splendid - but only if you are interested in macro stuff. But this is what Lembeh Straits is famous for. If you want to see pygmy seahorses, hairy frogfishes, nudibranches, bluering octopus, decorator crabs and all the assorted variety of tiny creatures - this is really the place to be.

I found the resort to be really nice, well built and designed and decorated. Love the hand made solid wooden furniture - even opening the drawers brings out a pleasant sandelwood or camphor fragrance. There was also a lovely outdoor pool overlooking the bay.

I went in late February and there was only two other divers there. This mean that you don't have to "share" the Dive guides with other divers - and you can more personal attention. I found my dive guide - Steven - to be really helpful and eagle eyed. I was continually amazed by what he could find.

Resort wise - I really liked the place- I found it a a very calm and tranquil environment. Bring along some books and perhaps a travel computer loaded with movies to watch.

Probably the only thing missing was... more fresh fruit. The dooku/loong kong (looks like a small potato - flesh texture like that of a grape - has a sweet or sweet/sour taste) season was on - and it would have been lovely if the resort had purchased the fresh fruit from the local village for us to eat. I brought some along the way there but the young kitchen staff placed them in the freezer and ruined them.

It would also have been nice if the resort had an in-house masseur. They did have one but she was only there during the day.

Anyhow I'd go back there again - the next time for a week.

Room Tip: Choose the room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Yauming
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights, 2 full days diving.
I read various review about this resort. I chose this resort simply my prefered reasort were not available for short notice of my last minutes trip.
They arranged the pick-up service from the airport, the worst driver ever, I could smell alcohol from his mounth which keep talking while driving - he said he drink a bit to celebarte new year; and no drunk - which was not true, many times I had to warn him to drive carefully.

The resort itself was nice, clean, with beautiful garden and nice pool, probably located in one of the best location on Lembeh island.
I booked the standard room, since the room was not ready when I arrived, they upgraded to bungalow for one night only; they next day I moved to the standard room.
No coffee maker in the room, no complimentary water, and no soap in the room, I asked to the receptionis - need 3 reminders and took 8 hours just to get the soap, which is a whitening beauty soap. Probably her own soap.

Food was not bad, but nothing special. Wifi reception in the standard room was intermitently.

Diving in Lembeh is always good for macro lovers, and they have Opo - the most experienced and probabaly the best dive guides in Lembeh. Without him, I will rate this resort below lembeh average.

If managed well, Bastianos can be one of the best resort in Lembeh, but not this time

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wisnu315
Bastianos D, Manager at Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2013

I'm sorry to hear that you had some bad experiences at our resort
I totally agree that having a driver representing Bastianos and being under the influence is completely unacceptable, unfortunately in this instance all our drivers were on leave being you arrived late at night on the 1st of January, which is a big celebratory evening in Indonesia. We hired a private taxi to pick you up from the airport and of course had no idea this man had been drinking and after hearing this news we will not be using him again
We don't have any kettles inside our rooms but we do offer 24 hours self service tea and coffee in our restaurant and drinking water is available from our dispensers also 24 hours a day. We give a water bottle to each guest upon arrival, which can be refilled throughout the day. Being divers we all know the negative effect plastic is having on our seas, so here we try to minimise the unnecessary pollution by reducing the amount of bottles we use
Maybe you'd like to know also that as of the end of january we took a new, experienced, chef in the kitchen
I'm glad to hear though that our guide did what they do best and that you liked our resort and it's surroundings

Reviewed 11 January 2013

I was supposed to write this review 6 weeks ago but this website did not allow me to do so. I must wait 3 months after my last review on the same property. Anyways.

I returned to this resort end of November for a short trip to test my new camera and housing. The only reason why I kept going back was the dive guide, Steven. Steven was as good as always finding me different critters. Though I had been to Lembeh 5 times, every time he could show me something new.

What I found very disappointing and most annoying during this trip was the new smoking policy in the resort. There was only one smoking diver in the resort during my visit and she was allowed to smoke everywhere. When on the boat, she always lit her cigarette in the midst of the divers. The dive guides signaled her to move to the bow to smoke but she ignored them. The worst part is she hogged the table under the one-and-only-one ceiling fan in middle of the restaurant. In other words everybody walking into the restaurant must suffer from her second hand smoke. One afternoon I could not stand the heat and requested to move my table underneath the fan. What she did was holding her cigarette high behind my head. I sat for about 10 minutes and then moved back to my original table located at the far corner of the restaurant and continued to suffer from the heat and mosquitoes. Did the resort manager do anything? No! He was dining with this lady diver on the same table every meal. If smoking was not allowed in the restaurant like in the past, he could have told her.

A smoking freely resort is definitely NOT my kind of resort. I will definitely move to another place next time when I go back to Lembeh.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank woowoop

Hi, thanks very much for your feedback. We have taken onboard your comments and the restaurant is now none smoking, also on the dive boats smoking is only permitted outside on the bow

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Good to see the resort had a manager again. Many old staff had left but those whom I met before all recognized me. There were some improvements. For example, they put a bedside lamp so I could read during the night. They also changed clean linens every 3rd day. New pool chairs.

Food served was about the same standard. You need to arrive the restaurant early in order to get hot food. 2 evenings I was late for dinner due to night dives, I was eating cold food. Another morning I was just 10 minutes late for breakfast, there was no noodle left. If not I specially requested, they did not bother to make more noodles. But it took me half an hour to get my food so I was late for my first dive of the day.

New staff in the restaurant was lack of self-motivation. They just laid the food on the buffet table announcing dinner was ready. By the time guests lined up to get the food, there was no dinner plate and no serving spoons. I stood there for 10 seconds but this girl did not react until I told her what was missing.

I hope the resort could do something on the mosquitoes. They could at least put some coils in both the room and the restaurant. This is something inexpensive.

Diving is always good in Lembeh. Good dive guides are supposed to be the asset of a resort in Lembeh because most of the guests come here for diving. They can bring in repeated guests like me. They all deserve better treatment. I had been seeing them shivering in each dives for the past 2 years because the owner of the resort did not provide thicker wetsuit for them. I really felt sorry for these people.

I will return to this resort for as long as the dive guide I knew for years is still around. To be candid, I return to this place just for the same dive guide. I can get better accommodation and better food in other resorts in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo