“Fantastic Resort - Service is out of this world”

DABIRAHE Dive, Spa and Leisure Resort (Lembeh)
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Bitung
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Fantastic Resort - Service is out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

What can I say about Lembeh Hills Resort but AWESOME ! The service from both the non diving and diving staff is fantastic. We stayed for 6 days and let's say both my husband and I were quite speechless and we just have to shake out heads in disbelieve in the service we received from Lembeh Hills. Diving was excellent. Our dive master from YOS was very experience. He could find creature that you cannot imagine from nudis to hairy crabs to octopus and the list goes on. This is one unique dive center where the dive master would ask us, so "What do you want to see today? " The minute you get into the boat after your dive, you are given a hot towel to warm you up, water and fruits. Just crazy... As for the food, I think we gained weight. We were served a 5 course meal every lunch and dinner and the food was very good. The room was very spacious, clean and we had a fantastic view of the straits.

We have nothing but praises for Lembeh Hills. We will definitely go back and this time with friends. Keep up the good work and we will see you the next time.

Room Tip: Cliff - a good view of straits and close to dive center, pool and restaurant
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

There is nothing to complain about this resort. Their staff were very friendly and helpful. The resort is very beautiful and well-maintained. The food is super delicious, especially if you choose Indonesian menu ;)The facilities and service of Yos Dive Center are fabolous. Our dive master, Paulus (on his way to be an Instructor), was an excellent guide. He knew where to find critters and he has experience dealing with photographers. As a beginner to underwater photography, I was really happy with his company during our diving. Yos Dive Center has photographer room and lockers for divers. By the end of our diving holiday, we also received our daily log report from Yos Dive Center. We would like to return to Lembeh Hills for sure!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank indie_dive
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed in Lembeh Hills Resort for 5 days at the end of July. Great experience. The villa was beautiful, and was specially arranged for our honeymoon. They even prepared a cake and a candle light private dinner during our stay.
Diving was very nice, the instructor was always paying attention to us, and rented material was perfect. After each dive we had fresh fruits, clean towel, and a warm little towel for the face… a luxury.
Food was delicious, and the service was good.
The only thing that we didn’t like about the resort was the noise: at nearby village somebody began to speak into the loudspeaker and put music at 5.00 AM… It continued until 10.00 AM and then from 5.00 PM to 10.00 PM aprox. I believe the resort was trying to stop the noise (for church fund rising, they told us), so hopefully it has stopped already.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank avo77
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Just spent a week at Lembeh Hills and really enjoyed it. It has the potential to be the best in the area, but isn't quite there yet. Diving is well run, and really can't fault it. Staff are delightful, and while in the restaurant they had good English the reception staff were perhaps a little weak on English.
Rooms - spacious and airy, good spec and nice big balconies. But no information about the resort facilities in the room, and minimal coffee supplied unless more is requested - only two sachets per day, which for me is less than I drink before breakfast! Door locks to the balconies didn't seem very secure, though I doubt that matters.
Restaurant - lovely staff, good service, food good and nicely presented. If you stay a long time you might find the menu a bit restricted after a while, but it was fine for my stay, and they did a nice evening of Sulawesi food.
Diving - well, diving in Lembeh is always fascinating. I had my own dive guide, and there were never more than two divers per guide, though the resort was not busy so I don't know what happens when more guests are there. The dive centre runs efficiently and all staff there are great fun. Alas, I could not find a tips box there when I left, which is a pity as I wanted to show my appreciation of all the boat drivers and other staff there.Hot towels after each dive were a delight, and there was a fruit box for each diver after each dive as well as a fresh dry towel.
Too much food!! With fruit after every dive and a fruit platter in the room daily you get a lot more than your five a day! I found I couldn't manage lunch as well as everything else, so had breakfast and dinner and just fruit during the day.
The little niggles - Not quite as advertised, no wi-fi in the rooms though it was fine in the lobby and restaurant. The "free merchandise" mentioned in the booking confirmation did not materialise. There was also a "free 30 minute massage" mentioned, although I never actually asked for it. I was also offered a free upgrade to Hill Villa when I booked, but despite the fact that when I arrived I was the only guest, I was initially put in a twin villa. But they did move me to a hill villa on the second day. Like the minimal coffee in the room, there was a tendency in the restaurant to supply only one little pat of butter with two rolls. I know it is in its first year, but I just thought there was a suggestion of scrimping on little things that make a difference.
Having said that, I would still recommend a stay here. The little things just detract a bit from it being classed as the luxury hotel that it could be.

Room Tip: Hill villas possibly worth the extra as they are detached and have better views than some twin villa...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank diverdoc
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

An absolutely stunning retreat on a tiny island off Manado, Lembeh hill resort is an ultimate spot for luxurious seclusion and muck-diving.

With the resort own boat and dive facilities, you can take a pick of fabulous places to dive and discover. If you are not sure of dive site here (like me) - the guides are so experienced they know excatly where to take so that you don't miss a thing that Lembeh offers - be its famous sea dragon or hairy octopus or pygmy sea horse among rest. Apart, you will totally get pampered with their personalised care during each dive ( i do not even have to set up my diving gear. In fact you can remove your gears before climbing on the boat after dive- and they will take care of rest. the dive boats offers hot towels, hot choclate, fruit platter etc to pamper you after each dive).

Even while you are not diving, the majestic view from the infinity pool this resort boast off, spectacular surrounds, great food and spa are more than enough to completely soak your senses. The staff here redefines the meaning of hospitality - from their very friendly and welcoming smile to the prompt service: I wonder what keeps them so motivated to provide best in class service to each and every guest. Apart from stay, the resort staff also goes extra mile to make your travel as comfortable as possible with its personalised pick-up and drop as well as dedicated airport lounge (where the staff will even volunteer to take care of your check-in etc).

Overall a truly fantastic place - from stay to food and of course, muck-diving!! it is a truly special place where everything has been meticulously considered to relax the mind, yet completely spoil the senses.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
FerdySuawah, Staff at DABIRAHE Dive, Spa and Leisure Resort (Lembeh), responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Hi Blue Planet,

Thank for staying with us, Lembeh Hills Resort and hope you had an enjoyable moment with our Yos Dive Lembeh team. We're glad if you had an enjoyable moment when stayed in our resort as it one of our goal. We hope we will served you again in the future....
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I found Lembeh Hills Resort all it claims to be – a chic eco boutique hotel, surely situated in one of the most beautiful spots in the world. For me this was paradise. The hotel is beautifully laid out to offer all guests the best views of the Straits whilst enjoying unsurpassed luxury in contemporary Indonesian inspired accommodation.
You will not want for anything and be spoilt rotten, live like a king and dive in style. There is also lots to do for the non-diver - lounge around the gorgeous infinity pool, enjoy a Spa treatment at the exquisite Spa, have a massage in your room, snorkel on the coral house reef, wander to the fishing village and black sand beach next door, enjoy some of the outings offered by the hotel (great nature reserve nearby) or chill with a book on the comfy day bed on your private balcony - with a view to die for!
The hotel had their “grand opening “ end November 2010 and I am happy to report that everything was running smoothly during our stay. We stayed 8 nights end March 2011(6 diving days) and had no issues with water, aircon, insect infestations, or lack of towels mentioned in previous reviews. Most staff speaks perfect English, and all staff can speak basic English and is eager to practise and improve their language skills, it is not a problem.
Here and there some final touches are still in process (i.e. mirrors in ladies rest room at the restaurant and dive centre, final layer on pathway entrance to some chalets) but this does not distract from the overall feeling of total charm and luxury. Not being season yet, stocks in the drinks area (mixers and local beers) were somewhat depleted. There was a good selection of imported wines.
Being a last minute booking and still in the rainy season LHR offered us a great package, lower than Kungkungan Bay and with many extras – no charge for late and early airport transfers (we arrived pm and left am), 2 free nights, free upgrade to Hill Villa, complimentary T-shirts, free 30 minute massage, daily fruit in room, free bottled water, 3 boat dives a day (up to 16 per diver), unlimited house reef dives etc. We also had free access to the Coelacanth Lounge at the airport departure hall in Manado.
We stayed in Hill Villa No 3, fantastic! Huge comfy bed, chaise lounge, writing desk, large screen LCG TV, iPod docking station and CD player, remote control aircon, electronic safe big enough for a laptop, minibar with fresh fruit selection daily, kettle and coffee/tea sachets and 2 large bottles of water daily. Wonderful views of the Straits from our bed and private balcony with day bed and two chairs. The bathroom is huge, with inside and outside shower and massive bath, all very beautiful. Regarding choice of accommodation, even the entry level accommodation is spacious and luxurious, as the price goes higher, the space just gets bigger but the content and finishes remains the same. Readers are welcome to contact me in this regard; I have been to view some of the different options.
The restaurant also overlooks the Straits and has a lovely contemporary feel. All our meals were done a la carte style (all inclusive in price). Lunch and dinner menu comprised of a cold salad, followed by a warm appetiser and a soup, then a choice between 2 main courses and desert or fruit. Food was presented as a work of art and very tasty, I really enjoyed the meals. As I don’t like chillies, the staff went out of their way to serve me “no spicy”. On our arrival night at 11pm the kitchen send us a delicious cold Indonesian meal to the villa and when we requested some fruit, muesli and a meat platter to be put in our fridge on evening prior to departure (4am) this was no problem.
Ben and his YOS diving team look after your every need. These very experienced dive masters have incredible skill in spotting macro life. We saw everything on our wish list except the elusive blue ring octopus. The dive centre is well laid out with lovely facilities, equipment and showers and each diver is allocated a locker with your name tag thereon. I especially loved the neon coloured gas tanks enabling me to locate divers with ease. I thought LHR had the best dive boats around (no they are NOT slow as reported in some earlier review). Our small camera and housing was treated with as much respect as the massive equipment of fellow divers and professional underwater photographers. There also is a well-equipped camera and media room. Three scheduled dives a day and the joy is that the dive sites are all close by so we returned to the dive centre for a hot drink and cake and lounged at the really gorgeous pool in between dives. After each dive, on the boat, you are handed a hot face towel, a drink of water, a towel and a parcel of fresh fruit. There also is a 4th “mandarin dive” at sunset and night dives at request (latter is extra cost). There are no more than 2 divers per dive master. Dive sites are numerous and there is strict legislation that no site may allow more than 15 divers at one time. Diving was fun with these highly skilled people who radiates fun and joy all day long. Hardly a minute goes by without laughter, teasing or humming of a song in the background.
When diving the Lembeh Straits keep in mind it is all about muck diving and seeing macro critters living in rubbish. And it really is rubbish in grey/black fine sand/silt– bottles, nets, a plastic chairs, and old furniture, whatever. Lots of rubbish also floating along the coast all the time so be prepared for this. Amazing how quickly you get hooked though, once you see the animals. We saw flamboyant cuttlefish, wonderpus, mimic octopus, numerous sea horses including pygmy, all sorts of scorpion fish, many varieties of frog fish, many kinds of lion fish, sea moth, snake eels pipe fish including ornate, wasp fish, sting fish, leaf fish, flying gunnards, mandarin fish, pyjama and bangai cardinal fish, barramundi, many varieties of shrimps (tiger/dragon is beautiful) crabs, eels, box fish and nudibrachs – to name a few.
However, for the reef life and coral enthusiast and the snorkeler, there also are lots of areas with lovely coral and the excellent reef life, one of which is the house reef at LHR.
Overall the staff and service has been wonderful. From the minute I set my eyes on the two smiling, highly professional looking staff awaiting us on arrival at the airport, I knew we were in for a treat. Everything is done with a smile, no request too much. The Indonesians must surely be one of the friendliest nations in the world and at LHR this was evident at all times.
What to pack: just all the gear for a sunny casual dive holiday in the tropics including books, ear drops and mosquito repellent. A magnifying glass is helpful for the diver without camera, a camera with macro setting for the amateur photographer, and good small binoculars for when you are lazing on the balcony investigating the goings on in the straits. Our ear plugs also came in handy one night when a disco boat chose to dock in the Straits close to the hotel!
We flew Air Malaysia to Jakarta and from there Batavia Air to Manado. Emirates or Singapore Airlines to Singapore then Silk Air to Manado are also options we utilised on a previous Manado visit.
We will always treasure the memories of the time we spent at LHR and feel confident that you too will love it here!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HoutBayDiver
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

This resort is a great choice for divers! The YOS diving team is excellent, good service and I don't even need to set up my own diving gear. They know the dive spot really well too. I was totally spoilt for diving :)

The resort is nicely set up with villas that offer a good view of the sea and there is a heated swimming pool that you can just soak in and relax after a day dive. The bed is very comfortable and the room is cosy. The room is also very spacious. I wouldn't ask for more. The only thing this resort can possibly improve on is the food variety. Probably can cater for more variety of food. Although service is generally good, the check out took a longer time as the reception was not really well trained to answer any queries about the bill and there was no cashier at the counter. There is also free WIFI services, but it was not always working and the connection is poor.

Yeah, I also liked the hotel massage service. It was really good especially after the last day of dive! Recommended to give it a try.

Upon check out, we were transferred to the Manado airport and it was very pleasant as we were brought to the airport executive lounge. What a privilege!

Overall, this is a great resort to stay if you are in Lembeh for diving.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bitung
Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort
Lembeh Resort
Lembeh Resort
#1 of 9 in Bitung
Eco Divers Resort Lembeh
Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre
Cocotinos Lembeh, A Boutique Dive Lodge
Gangga Island Resort & Spa

Been to DABIRAHE Dive, Spa and Leisure Resort (Lembeh)? Share your experiences!