“Yet another perfect trip”

Kungkungan Bay Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Bitung
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This review is a bit over due but I've finally found a bit of spare time.

This was my 3rd time back to KBR and i was always of the view, why go go back to the same place when there are so many places to visit.

KBR is a home from home, when we arrived we were once again greeted like old friends, we stayed in the beach front bungalows and they were clean, spacious.

The food was as good as ever and the post dive treats were looked forward to with deserved anticipation.

The diving was as always exceptional, the dive team work incredibly hard to make sure everything was perfect and it was great to see Kaj again who continues to make the dive operation work well. This time we got to meet Barb who was in Oz on our previous trip. It was great to see the person behind some of the fantastic photos on the website, happy to share her advice and we had some good laughs over a beer in the bar at the end of a good days diving.

The dive guides do switch between guests every few days and this system ensures no one guide is hogged by a guest at the expense of other guests and it gives guests the chance to see more diversity as the different guides have different approaches and some are better at finding specific animals, but they are all excellent and also work together, so if one finds something really interesting and another group is on the same site they will often get the other guides attention so he can share it with his group. Group sizes remain small so you are not climbing over each over.

The housereef is fantastic and a great dive to see pygmy seahorses, i also finally got to see a blue ringed octopus this trip which was something I've always wanted to see.

what makes KBR special aside from the diving, location and resort, is all of the staff, nothing is too much trouble and the staff and Linda always do everything possible to resolve any issue or assist with any request. It is without exception the friendliest place i have ever stayed (3rd time now) and such a genuinely warm personal service.

Would I go back, try and stop me! Already got a trip booked for 2012.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank DarrenCBristol
There are newer reviews for Kungkungan Bay Resort

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I have stayed at KBR twice now, and intend to make it an annual trip - not only because of the world class muck diving in Lembeh Strait and the opportunity to take photographs of some of the most unusual and interesting marine life I have ever seen, but also because I agree with Kathy G... KBR is a little slice of heaven!

Kaj and Barb did an absolutely fantastic job of making us feel welcome (they even managed to accomodate our special requests to see particular critters!), and were always on hand to help. The dive crew were also extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and above all, absolutely brilliant at seeking out the "small stuff".

The rooms at KBR are very comfortable, clean and spacious and we were very happy sitting on our little balcony having a drink and admiring the gorgeous view over the bay each afternoon. The food at the restaurant is also great and varied. Oh - I almost forgot the spa! I had an Indonesian massage, and would highly recommend it.

I never hesitate recommending KBR to my friends and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona G
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We have stayed at KBR 3x and have absolutely loved it each time. We are divers and feel the dive operation is run like a well oiled machine! It is like being on a liveaboard dive boat but on the land. Kaj Maney runs the dive operation and does a fantastic job! He is calm, cool and collected and really caters to all of your whims! He is an excellent videographer and hosts slide shows of all of the wonderful creatures you see in Lembeh. We have felt all of our dive masters have been excellent. I am in love with the SPA at KBR as well. I highly recommend the Teruja coffee scrub among many other treatments! Last time we were there I spent 3 hours one afternoon getting treatments! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Heaven! The workers at KBR are among the sweetest, happiest and helpful people we have ever met in all the places we have been around the world! Ais, Beary, the giggle girls all stand out to name a few! The list goes on and on! Last, but not least, the food is excellent and the rooms are fantastic!
You can not go wrong if you book a trip to KBR! Go and check it out.. you will be glad you did!

Room Tip: Get one of the waterfront bungalows close to the dive ops! Well worth the small upgrade!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed at KBR during my recent diving trip at the Lembeh Strait. For muck diving, the Lembeh Strait is "the" place to dive. Compared to other muck dive sites, there is a greater variety of critters to be found here. The dive guides are friendly and top notch. For underwater photographers, this place is a dream come true. The dive guides here know how to take good care of your camera. They will carry your camera to the boat before a dive and will place it in the rinse tank at the resort after the dive. The cameras are placed in separate individual baskets thus scratches and knocks to your expensive camera can be better prevented.

As for the resort, my stay there was quite comfortable. The rooms were clean and spacious. There is a variety of food to choose from the menu and the food portions were acceptable. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful.

Overall, the resort is a little dated and needs a little sprucing up, especially landscaping.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room near the dive centre if you are diving.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank scqs
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I spent a week here in October, primarily for easy access to Lembeh Straits muck diving. The quality of the diving was very good, with all manner of weird and wonderful critters to see on every single dive. The dive staff didnt make small talk, they literally turned up, went on the boat with you, and got in the water. For some reason most of the time they put us on a boat with a history of engine problems which meant we couldnt go to the further dive sites. We ended up feeling like nobody really gave us any thought: we were shifted from guide to guide and boat to boat and with nobody actually talking to us it all seemed a very impersonal experience. Nonetheless we saw all that we expected or wanted to see underwater.

The resort staff were all very friendly and professional, and took the time to learn my name. Unfortunately, whilst I am far from being a fussy eater, the food was not so good. I was particularly disappointed by the local noodle and rice recipes (which I had come to love over in Manado the week before) because at KBR they were inexplicably bland and greasy. Oh, and alcohol was expensive!

On the last full day something happened that really altered my feelings about this place. We finished diving the day before and were having a chill out day. I commented when I first got in the pool about the white tablet on the floor, like a huge aspirin. My friends replied that there were several more of them scattered around their feet, and we gave it no more thought...until later. Back at my room for a shower, to my absolute horror I found that my blonde hair had turned blue/green from contact with the pool water. This had never happened to me before and I was very upset. We realised that the "huge aspirins" were chlorine tablets and could only assume these guys werent managing the pool properly as I have been in many swimming pools with my blonde hair and never seen this reaction ever before. The staff were sympathetic but didnt know what to do, and it was only at 10.30pm that I was given a print out of suggestions as to how to possibly reverse the blue. I ended up having my friend daub ketchup on my hair, twice, in order to deal with this, and even then I could still see blue strands, (and I had problems with the blue coming back later) and this was how my friend and I spent our last evening at KBR. I was offered a nominal amount off my bill for the trouble, but it represented only about half what a professional charges to resolve the problem, so I wasnt happy or impressed by this.

Room Tip: 4B is next to a wall so the bedroom doesnt get as much light as other accommodation, but I didnt fin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Diveva
Reviewed 17 November 2011

A group of 20 of us stayed here for 5 nights and the resort was great! Beautiful bungalows and the food was fabulous! The staff was beyond great and always called you by name.
The diving was the best muck diving I have ever done. So much to see! A photographers dream!
The only downside was the cost of alcohol. A bottle of cheap wine is $80!!!! It was the same at Kima Bajo. Couldn't be helped I guess with the taxes on alcohol.
I would definitely go back. Would have rather stayed the whole trip right there and not went to Kima Bajo if we had known!
Thanks to everyone at KBR for making our stay so wonderful!!

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank deedarmyers
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Well not to repeat the issues already mentioned in a previous review re sharing my bed with tens of termites, KBR was certainly an experience. Before we booked our dive trip, I read many reviews on KBR and it seemed to be the place to visit for fantastic muck diving. When we got there (second week of a twin resort stay) although a bigger resort, the staff were super friendly and the location was stunning, good start I thought. The diving delivered in bucket loads too with so many interesting little critters in one place. The negatives...... it would have been nice to have had the same guide for the duration of our stay, although not always possible. As it was we had at least 4 different DMs so unfortunately we didn't have that personal connection with our various guides. As mentioned the diving was great and there were many sites to dive both far and near, however for 3 days we only had the option of using the slower wooden boat with intermittent motor problems. This meant we couldn't dive the slightly further out sites with our dive group and DM. People have also mentioned turn down services, barbecues, daily fresh flowers in rooms etc but unfortunately we didn't experience any of these. In conclusion although I can't fault the underwater world at KBR, I'm not sure if I'll be going back.

• Stayed: October 2011