“Beautiful resort & diving experience”

Kungkungan Bay Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Bitung
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Kungkungan Bay Resort managers Kaj and Barbara and their devoted staff provided our dive group with an awesome Indonesian diving experience. The location of KBR was beautiful and minutes away from Lembeh Strait for the most unique diving my husband and I have ever experienced. The main building which includes the restaurant & bar sits over a reef teeming with colorful fish and coral. The staff knew the names of each of us in our large dive group the first day. The lodging accommodations were spotless and well maintained with hibiscus flowers on our beds greeting us upon arrival. The air conditioned rooms with fans were a welcome relief from the hot & humid days and sleeping was excellent in the comfortable beds. The food was delicious and well presented including Indonesian cuisine and American as well. The dive guides were excellent in locating numerous and unusual underwater flora and fauna that we would have never found on our own. I have some great images thanks to the competent dive guides. The last evening included a sumptuous buffet and musical entertainment by the KBR staff was outstanding. To top off our diving experience at KBR, we enjoyed a fascinating land tour to view the black crested Macaque monkeys and elusive Tarsier monkeys, the world's smallest primate in their protected rainforest environment. Thank you KBR for your hospitality and sharing your beautiful part of the world of North Sulawesi and the Lembeh Strait.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CowgirlDiver

Reviewed 19 December 2011

I am a dive instructor and travel extensively in South East Asia for diving.
In fact, my job is to recommend, in my opinion, the best places to stay and to dive.
Kungkungan Bay Resort is always high in my list of resorts. This resort with warm friendly staff is smack in the middle of the Lembeh Straits giving easy access to all the dive sites here.
Apart from the easy access, Kungkungan Bay Resort (KBR) always bend over backwards to ensure your stay is as good as possible.
Is KBR highly recommended. That's definitely a YES.

Room Tip: Whichever rooms you choose, you can be ensured that the staff will make it the best in the resort ap...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chooi T
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I've stayed in a few resorts near Lembeh, Kungkungan bay proved to be a better resort in an ideal location.

Being fairly central made all dive sites easily accessible with very short transfer times. I knew what to expect from the diving and the guides in Kungkungan bay resort were exceptionally good, the team also seem to be well trained in handling photographic equipment properly. They keep each camera seperate to avoid them getting bumped or knocked in the rinse tanks.

Food was very good, the Indonesian noodle and rice dishes were especially good (Mie Gorang and Nesi Gorang).

The pool is quite small but was clean and a peaceful area to read a book and although I never used the spa, my partner said it was excellent.

The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, they turned a great holiday in to an exceptional holiday. We did not want to leave at the end of the trip and will certainly be returning to this resort again.

Room Tip: The deluxe beachfront rooms are very roomy and have a generous porch area for enjoying a sun downer.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John R
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I was with a dive group of 22 People from primarily Arkansas,USA. Lovely waterfront rooms. Great views. The dive guides were excellent. Every few minutes they would show us something new & exciting. Food was pretty good considering we were a little remote. Spa was wonderful. Great massage. Staff were excellent. Very helpful. Went out of their way to help us in many ways. Equipment repairs, tours , churches. I would highly recommend the resort.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank geniedar
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This review is a bit over due but I've finally found a bit of spare time.

This was my 3rd time back to KBR and i was always of the view, why go go back to the same place when there are so many places to visit.

KBR is a home from home, when we arrived we were once again greeted like old friends, we stayed in the beach front bungalows and they were clean, spacious.

The food was as good as ever and the post dive treats were looked forward to with deserved anticipation.

The diving was as always exceptional, the dive team work incredibly hard to make sure everything was perfect and it was great to see Kaj again who continues to make the dive operation work well. This time we got to meet Barb who was in Oz on our previous trip. It was great to see the person behind some of the fantastic photos on the website, happy to share her advice and we had some good laughs over a beer in the bar at the end of a good days diving.

The dive guides do switch between guests every few days and this system ensures no one guide is hogged by a guest at the expense of other guests and it gives guests the chance to see more diversity as the different guides have different approaches and some are better at finding specific animals, but they are all excellent and also work together, so if one finds something really interesting and another group is on the same site they will often get the other guides attention so he can share it with his group. Group sizes remain small so you are not climbing over each over.

The housereef is fantastic and a great dive to see pygmy seahorses, i also finally got to see a blue ringed octopus this trip which was something I've always wanted to see.

what makes KBR special aside from the diving, location and resort, is all of the staff, nothing is too much trouble and the staff and Linda always do everything possible to resolve any issue or assist with any request. It is without exception the friendliest place i have ever stayed (3rd time now) and such a genuinely warm personal service.

Would I go back, try and stop me! Already got a trip booked for 2012.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank DarrenCBristol
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I have stayed at KBR twice now, and intend to make it an annual trip - not only because of the world class muck diving in Lembeh Strait and the opportunity to take photographs of some of the most unusual and interesting marine life I have ever seen, but also because I agree with Kathy G... KBR is a little slice of heaven!

Kaj and Barb did an absolutely fantastic job of making us feel welcome (they even managed to accomodate our special requests to see particular critters!), and were always on hand to help. The dive crew were also extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and above all, absolutely brilliant at seeking out the "small stuff".

The rooms at KBR are very comfortable, clean and spacious and we were very happy sitting on our little balcony having a drink and admiring the gorgeous view over the bay each afternoon. The food at the restaurant is also great and varied. Oh - I almost forgot the spa! I had an Indonesian massage, and would highly recommend it.

I never hesitate recommending KBR to my friends and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona G
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We have stayed at KBR 3x and have absolutely loved it each time. We are divers and feel the dive operation is run like a well oiled machine! It is like being on a liveaboard dive boat but on the land. Kaj Maney runs the dive operation and does a fantastic job! He is calm, cool and collected and really caters to all of your whims! He is an excellent videographer and hosts slide shows of all of the wonderful creatures you see in Lembeh. We have felt all of our dive masters have been excellent. I am in love with the SPA at KBR as well. I highly recommend the Teruja coffee scrub among many other treatments! Last time we were there I spent 3 hours one afternoon getting treatments! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Heaven! The workers at KBR are among the sweetest, happiest and helpful people we have ever met in all the places we have been around the world! Ais, Beary, the giggle girls all stand out to name a few! The list goes on and on! Last, but not least, the food is excellent and the rooms are fantastic!
You can not go wrong if you book a trip to KBR! Go and check it out.. you will be glad you did!

Room Tip: Get one of the waterfront bungalows close to the dive ops! Well worth the small upgrade!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple