“Love at the first sight :)”

Kungkungan Bay Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bitung
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Love at the first sight :)”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

When I saw Lembeh from the top of hill when we were on the way to KBR, I felt 'woooow'! The front office staff were friendly and made the check-in process simple. We got room T8 beach view. It's perfect! All were great! Food were excellent. Special thanks to mr. Paco, the diving manager, who encouraged me doing snorkelling with the company by mr. Iwan, the diver guide. I'm not a good swimmer and easily panic under water. I had remarkable astounding moment.

Room Tip: Room T8 is perfect , at the end of left side of diving centre. More privacy and no verandah to share...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ejBajaj
KBR_Management, Manager at Kungkungan Bay Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for the nice review. Paco, and Iwan were happy that you enjoyed the snorkeling around our private bay. Our chef thanks you for the review about the food. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This place is everything you’ve read, and then some… Well, except for the moron a couple of reviews below mine that gave a 1-star rating, yet has never even stepped foot on the resort. Maybe the owner can report it and have it removed so it doesn’t bring down their average rating? Anyway, this was my first time to Lembeh, so my “critter wish list” was a rather demanding 22 items long… But, to their credit, in just five days of diving, they checked off all of them but five (see pic)… Well, the last one on the list was a mermaid, so I hardly blame them for that. On most dive trips (Caribbean, mostly), I average maybe 20 “decent” photos per day… I had over 90 pics that made the first cut after just one day!

The resort was unseasonably slow for July when I was there, so I had my own guide for several of the dives, which was nice. However, they all wear the same exact wetsuit and fins, so be sure to pick out subtle differences in their dive gear (dive watch color, etc) to make sure you don’t start following the wrong person. I didn’t have a single dive under 60 minutes and most were around 70 or longer. So, if you don’t have a Nitrox cert, I would highly suggest it to maximize your bottom time. I can promise you that when your time is up, you won’t want to get back on the boat! The dive guides do a great job finding critters and rotating you around to them with the other divers so there isn’t a queue of photographers hovering around waiting idly.

The food was very good and the menu is quite diverse offering anything from local Indo, to American, to Japanese and Italian. You could stay there a week, eat something different for each meal of the day, and never have the same thing twice.

The grounds are immaculately kept with flora and fauna all around, and there is nothing better than sitting on your patio here having your morning coffee while watching the sunrise. Speaking of which, I highly recommend paying a little extra for one of the beachfront villas. I originally booked a "traditional house", but then I realized they don’t have a patio. We stayed in T5. Also, if you’re in a villa, you get room service. Which is very nice for after a long day of diving if you'd prefer to have a relaxing dinner in bed or on your patio. However, if you do go with a traditional house, try to get T1. It is nicely positioned between the dive jetty and the restaurant, and, from what I could tell, also appeared to be the only one with a small balcony built onto it. Yes, there are bugs, but this is Indonesia and to be expected. Nothing too bad though. We had a praying mantis fly through into the room through door as I opened it, which was pretty amusing. We tactically performed a “catch and release” with him since he was cool, though. The wifi worked well from the patio, but not so well at times from inside the room. One of the other guests I met there that stayed a few villas down said it barely reached them. So, if that’s important to you, the closer in, the better. Also, I was surprised by the amount of channels available on the tv for when you’re winding things down for the evening, especially with the large selection in English. Very different from where we next stayed around Manado which had 10 channels, and only three watchable channels in English.

As far as service is concerned, they go above and beyond. Anything you want, they’ll make it happen. My wife, who is an amputee (below the knee), requires a chair to sit on in the shower since her prosthetic can’t get wet. We asked them for a simple plastic or metal chair or stool that we could place in there for her. Thirty minutes later, they had whipped up a custom made wooded stool for her to sit on in the shower. Obviously, this made a great first impression. From the time you give them you're dive gear on your first day, to the time you pack to leave, you barely even touch your dive gear. They load and set up you gear for you, as well as rinse it at the end of each day. Definitely 5-star service here.

Considering it’s 24 hours worth of expensive flights just to get here from the US, I don’t know when we’ll be back… But when we do, we’ll definitely be back at KBR.

Room Tip: I highly recommend paying a little extra for one of the beachfront villas. I originally booked a &qu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pillpusher75
KBR_Management, Manager at Kungkungan Bay Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for the very nice review.

Our dive team was really happy that they could show you most of the critters in your wish list bucket. The variety food from local to international dishes do give our guests the opportunity to experience them that we can cater to all tastes.

We loved treating every individual guest very special, we were happy you gave us the change when we taylor made the stool.

Thank you again for noticing every little details of our service, they really mean a lot to us. Take care, and hope to see you two again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was the third time we have dived in Lembeh Strait, and our second one week stay at KBR in 2 years.

First of all, Lembeh Strait is a very magical place for divers, particularly those interested in finding all the weird and wonderful subjects for underwater photography.

From the point of booking our stay, the the resort staff are friendly and accommodating in welcoming us back for our second visit and upgrading us to a lovely Beach Front Villa. We actually had to defer this trip twice over more than a year as I was unable to dive, but they never hesitated in helping us to make the changes, while honouring the original price I had paid, even though their rack rates had changed in the meantime.

Transfer: Travel from the airport to the resort takes about 1.5hours but this is done in a comfortable(complimentary) airconditioned MPV after being met at the airport.

Accommodation:The rooms are lovely and comfortable, clean, with good airconditioning and cable TV. Perhaps wifi in the more remote rooms can be improved, but it is very strong in the main building. Hot water in the showers and bath is consistent and runs through the day.

Diving: The diving operation is well organised and punctual. Safety procedures observed, and the dive staff really bend over backwards to find all the 'critters' on everyones' wish list! The camera room has plenty of workspace and 110V/220V outlets in abundance for charging all the camera and strobe batteries. All our gear was looked after well and cleaned and dried for us after our last dive. We felt really pampered never having to carry gear or cameras to or from the dive boat! Dive boats are fast and new, and dry towels, fresh fruit and water are served on board after every dive.

Food: We were on the full board package again, and the food is varied and tasty (local and American fare, as well as pizzas from a wood fired oven) and you would probably be able to eat something different each day for a week.

Others: The resort has a fresh water pool great for relaxing after a day of diving. The spa is good and the massages are good and reasonably priced.

I would strongly recommend this resort to anyone planning to dive the Lembeh Strait in comfort. This dive operation is as good as any I have dived with in any other part of the world.

Special thanks to the staff, Linda, Ais, Beary, Paco, Jef, Risman, Irfin for making our stay as memorable as it was!

Room Tip: Beachfront Villas are lovely and very private
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chayan V
It was really nice to see you two again. We are glad that you loved the beach front deluxe villa we reserved, and enjoyed the dives. Our food is prepared fresh to provide our guests the healthy and tasty food to make the stay even better.

All of the team here at KBR are really happy that you had a great time with us. Take care, and hope to see you two again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We spent five magical days here in May 2014. The KBR is geared to divers, and we merely snorkel. We spent most of our days taking day trips to areas around the resort, which are beautiful and interesting. Our driver, Felix, was a most excellent interpreter and guide. We went shopping in native markets and we saw (and bought) cloves and nutmegs drying by the road.

Our Deluxe Beachfront Cottage was in a beautiful location, very comfortable, and tastefully done in wood. The staff were wonderful, helpful and friendly.

The food was outstanding. Both local and western dishes were offered. The food I had at KBR was easily the best I had on a one-month trip trip through Indonesia and Malaysia. Some dishes were so unique and delicious that I begged the chef, Beary Adriaansz, for a recipe. He kindly obliged.

My husband and I plan to return to KBR. It is truly a paradise-sort of place, peaceful and exotic.

Room Tip: The deluxe beach front rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EllenFromLA
KBR_Management, Manager at Kungkungan Bay Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review.

We have enjoyed serving you in those five magical days. The tour did expose the interesting side of the local life that really nice to experience.

Glad you like the room, and the food. Beary hopes that we can share with you more of our local dishes when you come back. Meanwhile take care, and we all look forward to see you again.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

After returning from a two week diver trip to Indonesia, I find myself talking a lot about my stay at KBR (Kungkungan Bay Resort). The place is magical for divers that want a custom dive experience. The dives, three a day, were well organized. one of my favorite things that they do is adjust the dive site if there are others in the planed spot... there are so many sites to choose from and the dive masters are very good at finding the most amazing "critters".. Muck diving at its best. You return to the resort after each dive for lunch or a diver interval with tea, coffee, snack and a free chair massage!
The beach front cottages are roomy and comfortable. I was traveling as a single with other divers from Sacramento so my rooms felt extra-large as most were sharing a room. The veranda with chairs and a fantastic view provided a great relaxation spot.
The food was fresh and delicious. The spa was great as well. They have several great female massage therapists. I prefer male therapists with strong hands. I ask Beary Adriaansz, the resort manager, and he supplied me with a very good male massage therapist that very day. What service!
The resort staff we very friendly and helpful. They learned all of our names and addressed us by name at dinner. I went to the fish market one morning for a 3 hour tour of the town.. well worth the extra $25
Check this place out… of you want a down to earth friendly, local feeling experience.

Room Tip: they have two types of rooms... I stayed in the ones that are like a duplex... they are newer than t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jpeterw
Thank you so much for the very nice review. We are glad that you enjoyed the room, the food, and the spa treatment. Paco, our Dive Manager was happy that you find our dive operation is well organized. Our dive team was glad that you enjoy the dives. Take care, and we hope to see you again.
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

The dive operation at KBR is entirely geared to maximising the wonderful diving opportunities that the Lembeh Strait has to offer. Designed by divers for divers but it is also a fabulous romantic location that anyone would enjoy. Food good and rooms beautifully furnished with fabulous views over the water. I was unable to dive but enjoyed snorkelling and photographing the house reef in any case.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 3PW
KBR_Management, Manager at Kungkungan Bay Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for the great review. It really means a lot to us that even though you are not diving, you have enjoyed snorkling our house reef. Thank you for the compliment about rooms and food, we hope to see you both again in the future.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just returned from KBR and it was a paradise experience. Our Beachfront Cottage was beyond my expectations. Roomy sitting area with couch, table, desk, chair, fridge and huge windows. Bedroom with bed beautifully draped with hanging linens, a lovely bath with good storage and wardrobe closet. The front veranda with the chairs and table was a favorite spot for us throughout the day. Another plus, strong internet connection on veranda and inside room.

The dining hall has a few outdoor tables where you can look right out onto the house reef which is full of life. We ate almost every meal out there and enjoyed the view of the Lembeh Strait and house reef.

Dive sites are so close you come back to resort after each dive for your surface interval. The first dive of the day and afternoon dive you come back to resort and the staff is waiting with tea, coffee, hot chocolate and cookies. Plus complimentary chair massages; if it's lunch time, you just clean up and head to the dining room.

For non-divers, the house reef will keep them happy every day. It's really large and there is a lot to see.

The staff was very helpful and pleasant. One thing to be aware of is that they have a Tailor on site that can make you custom garments. There is fabric to choose from in a case in the lobby and a picture menu of garments available. The staff will call the tailor and he will come and take your measurements and have your garment ready in a day or two. My friend drew a picture of palazzo pants and she was very happy with the results.

The Dive staff did a good job of setting up gear and rinsing them at the end of the trip. They also are great at finding all the little critters.

I skipped several dives to just enjoy the resort. It truly is a very quiet, relaxing and beautiful place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank LynnKrog
Thank you for the very nice review. We have enjoyed serving you at Kungkungan Bay Resort. Glad our beach front cottage is comfortable, and you enjoy our dining service. Our taylor is happy that you liked the work. Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bitung
Lembeh Resort
Lembeh Resort
#1 of 2 in Pulau Lembeh
Eco Divers Resort Lembeh
Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre
DABIRAHE Dive, Spa and Leisure Resort (Lembeh)
Black Sand Dive Retreat
Black Sand Dive Retreat
#5 of 14 in Bitung
Gangga Island Resort & Spa

Been to Kungkungan Bay Resort? Share your experiences!