Kungkungan Bay Resort is set in an attractive location with a black sandy beach in the very friendly land of North Sulawesi. It really is the land of the smiling people.
We had room 3a cottage suite. This was a great room with views straight out to the Lembeh straits. There were two double beds that were very comfy, Large bathroom,sitting room and a wrap around verandah with chairs to make the most of the views. We were very pleased with the room.
The menu is tired and limited. The food is cooked to order and at times the wait for food was unacceptable. This we brought to the attention of the owner and the manager who are aware and are working on this. We found in the evening if we went for a drink and ordered our food at the bar it seemed better as the waiter then came up to tell you when it was ready. Breakfast could be frustrating if you were diving as you often had to wait even when ordered the night before. I feel a buffet style breakfast for divers would be better.(This was the case at Kima Bajo see separate report )
The dining room overlooked the sea and the Lembeh Straights and there were a few tables on the verandah.
When my husband was ill with a stomach upset the management and Mark the owner were very good and arranged for a sun lounger to be put on our verandah for him to recuperate. They also said if needed they would get a doctor and to ask for any help. We were very grateful for their help.
I went on the early morning trip to the local fish market,produce market , school and Buddhist temple. It was well worth the early start 6 am. So much to see and an insight into the lives of the people.
A fantastic all day trip 8 am to 8 p.m. . We had a car to ourselves and a guide from reception. What a day so much to see, from the Waruga stone graves,rice paddies, volcano craters, lake and fish farm restaurant (delicious) , coloured lake at Tondano and the traditional houses at Woloan. With as many stops for photos as you wanted and stops at local roadside stalls for Mangoes and bamboo ware. We would really recommend this trip.
Tim the dive manager arranged for us to hire a local boat for the day together with a member of the restaurant staff as an interpreter. What a magic day. We got to see all that we wanted, a fish farm, local village, monument with a full size Dakota plane on it! and a picnic on a secluded beach then a trip around the harbor and on to a magic white sand beach to paddle and enjoy the sun. Our guide really made the trip special and shared her country with us.
The team at KBR are fantastic with the most amazing ability to spot critters. They are very safety conscious and adaptable. They are keen to make sure if possible you see all the critters you want and the dive sites you want. I really enjoyed my first muck diving experience and got to really enjoy the challenge of finding the bizarre life forms. There are also sights with the most amazing coral ,sponge and anemones with such beautiful colours, Nitox is available which I used and found very good.
The house reef is well worth a visit both during the day and the night. The Mandarin dive is amazing.
The only concern is that some of the boat engines played up at times and so dive sites were changed because of this. Hopefully this will now be sorted with the change of management.
Tim the New Dive manager and Renier new resort manager have great plans for KBR together with Mark the owner.
We felt that we were part of the KBR family while we were there. A big thank you to all at the dive centre.
Though we did not use the spa we heard good reports of it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kungkungan Bay Resort (KBR to its friends and soon to be friends) is proud to be the resort that introduced Lembeh Strait to the world. Being the first resort in Lembeh means we got first choice on locations. Our resort is located in its own private bay which the resort is named after. KBR is the only Sea Level Luxury resort in Lembeh. KBR is a full service resort which includes The only 24hrs full menu service Restaurant in Lembeh, Capt. Billy's Bar serving American Bar Food and Great Drinks, our full service Tepi Laut Spa (Seaside Spa) does Massages, Beauty Treatments, Manicures and Pedicures, and of course our PADI Dive Center with Equipment and Camera Rentals and 32% NITROX. Come join us and we will put the Dream into you next Dive Vacation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Kungkungan Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kungkungan Bay Hotel Bitung
- Kungkungan Bay Resort Indonesia/Bitung, Sulawesi