“Paradise!!!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Santa Flavia
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise!!!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Just arrived yesterday and my only negative comment is having to leave the hotel and Sicily! I had the same concerns originally after reading the negative reviews but in my opinion they must have been staying in a different hotel!!! I was greeted by Luigi at reception who had upgraded my room (based on an e-mail request made 3 months ago) and the view from my balcony (Room 225) was simply breath taking ( swimming pools, palm trees and a breathtaking view of the sea and the other side of the island where a small town known as Portocello is located).My room was a good size and the bathroom was great ( excellent water pressure ,rain-water shower and a separate hand-held shower too) . There is no bath but with 2 pools and the sea, what more would you want? Ladies, there is a lovely long mirror with a powerful lamp nicely positioned so you can dress comfortably. Just to say, Italians dress up in the evening , so make sure you bring a frock. It is very classy! The hotel is located in an isolated area called Zagarella but if you are not driving, the hotel provides a regular shuttle service into Palermo for 25 euros there and back. I believe it is worth it as it is a good 40 minutes drive in to Palermo. As I was initially travelling on my own , it was important that the return car would meet me at the designated point and I would not feel stranded. Guiseppe the manager of this shuttle service telephoned me regularly while I was in Palermo to ensure that I was safe and that I knew how to travel to meet him for my return. I booked to be in Palermo town for 5 hours and the car was prompt and met me at the agreed time and that was my first day.This was just one of many kind gestures. You could also walk to Santa Flavia train station and take the train into Palermo for 4 euros each way. The same shuttle is provided to many other destinations so you will not feel stranded without a car. The swimming pools are all salt water pools and if you go walk past the first pool and the bar and its lounging area, you will see stairs going down towards the second pool. The surroundings of this entire area is like an oasis dotted with exotic flowers and plants. There is a beach restaurant here too so you can laze by the pool or sea and then lunch . The waiters are excellent! Again I must say being your own it is slightly awkward when you have to eat on your own but I was made to feel so welcome by Fabio and Nino. Grazie mille Nino and Fabio!!The service was simply excellent and they always tried to please.The food was delicious too and just in the right portions. Try the black pasta, the pasta with prawns ad pasta vongole! Water is slightly pricey but you can buy water from a nearby supermarket in Portocello at 1.50 euros for 4 (1 litre bottles). I swam in the sea nearly everyday, the sea water is warm and is supported by a number of rocks to ensure the tides are managed. You can also swim to the rocks easily and if you are wearing goggles, you will see tiny fish living amongst the corals on the sea bed. My cousins joined me on the fourth day and we went snorkeling too. The hotel has a scuba diving school and organises snorkeling trips. This was fabulous but not long enough (1.5 hours). It costs 25 euros and you are provided with the snorkeling gear and the motor boat takes you out to open sea. The water currents were not so bad on the day we went so we did not need to use our flippers. It was stunning and you could see red starfish and beautiful silver and yellow fish as you dive in. Throughout the day, the hotel organises entertainment for the kids by the pool. The kids look like they are having a great time. There is pool volley ball for the adults, salsa by the pool and lots more. I loved the music that was played throughout the day by the hotel. It would range from mood music to Italian music to pop music. In the evening, you could have buffet dinner on the second floor or ala carte dinner on the first floor and we ate in the restaurant located on the first floor most nights as the food was delicious and service was superb. The prices at the restaurant in the hotel were similar to most restaurants in Sicily and compared to London, I felt it was very reasonable (about 20 -25 euros with starters ).The managers of the restaurant (Maurizio and Domenico) were always trying to please and we even got treated to a bottle of Sicilian wine and dessert on my last night. By the pool happy hour starts at 6pm and finishes at 8.30pm and most of the guests could mingle and were entertained by various dances organised by the hotel. Giuli and others are the event organiser girls who are in charge of making everyone comfortable including playing with the kids. Although, I have no kids, I could see the children (2-8 years) were having a great time so I would say this hotel is ideal for family holidays too.

There is also a separate company located in the reception area who deals with the popular excursions trips in Sicily. They are not very reliable as they are dependent on numbers so plan some of your own trips in advance. You could do Catania on your own which is about a 2.5 hours drive and Cefalu which is another beach only 30 minutes away.

Only one down side, the wi fi is not very reliable but I find most hotels on the sea have this problem. But again I must emphasise ,the reception staff (Luigi, Claudio, Russian girl with blonde hair (sorry I have forgotten your name)) at this hotel will bend over backwards to help you .

I would just like to say I enjoyed every minute of my holiday and a very warm thank you to everyone at the hotel for making it a perfect week. Grazie Mille Domina and I am intending to return next year!!!

Room Tip: I was in Room 225 - perfect. Air conditioning was very good and considering I only had one key card...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Howto1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Having booked this hotel before checking on TripAdvisor, I was alarmed at some of the comments that had been posted. Adopting the approach of 'forewarned is forearmed', my wife and I approached our stay with a view to checking some of the specific areas of concern, in particular noise, food, and locality. Our general reaction when checking in was that the hotel was clean, friendly and in good decorative order. The pools are large and the comfortable sunbeds are plentiful. The lower pool area leads on to an even lower sunbathing area, just beside the rocky shoreline, which has a number of steps that provide easy and safe access to the crystal clear water of the Mediterranean. The view while sunbathing is delightful, with the curving bay and its fishing villages nestling at the foot of imposing and craggy hills. This setting, together with a pleasant sea breeze made for comfortable and relaxing sunbathing. Which brings me to the first point of concern - noise. As reported elsewhere, the hotel (like so many others) has piped music throughout the hotel and outdoor areas. Our observation was that it was acceptable and, unlike the so-called disco-based tat that one finds in Spain, was actually the kind of music to 'chill' to. Granted the Italians love Alicia Keys, but by no means was her music played ad nauseum. Obviously there will be those who dislike any form of modern music - if this is the case, pick a sunbed away from one of the clearly seen speakers! The other noise aspect concerns the evening entertainment. Yes, this was loud, and you definitely wouldn't want to be in a room close to it unless you were (a) taking part or (b) having a late night away from the hotel. For our part, our room was 3 floors up, and overlooking the main pool area. While the music was audible, we found that it was not particularly obtrusive. Apart from one lunchtime snack, we only had breakfast in the main hotel restaurant. Our lunch (2 different salads) was on the terrace beside the lower pool area, and we had no complaints. It was fresh, substantial, and not expensive. Breakfasts were basic, and not really up to the standard one would expect in a hotel of this rating. Apart from that, we have no other comments as regards the hotel food. Obviously, we ate out in the evenings and, like others before us, found that the Ancora Restaurant just across the road was the best option. We also tried the Gast Haus in Santa Flavia (a 15-20 min walk away) and had no complaints there. For a 'treat' we took the car to the nearby fishing village of Porticelli. The restaurants are right beside the fishing boats, but with that comes the associated smells. The prices were on the high side as well. Generally, food during all aspects of the holiday was a disappointment. Finally, a word on the locality. Our hearts sank as we were driven from Palermo airport to the hotel. The city and its suburbs were dilapidated, and the piles of domestic waste by the side of the road was shocking. While this wasn't so bad as we headed away from the city, there were more piles of smelly rubbish within 100m of the hotel. It's disappointing for such a nice hotel to be so isolated from shops, restaurants and places of interest. A car is definitely needed if you want to explore or simply try different places to eat. Despite these failings, the hotel was better then our earlier expectations and our holiday, on the whole was an enjoyable one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RC_AEC
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Just returned from this wonderful hotel and amazing island Sicily.
Even though hotel is pretty isolated, management of the hotel by engaging staff for entertainment made this place very vivid and we have never felt alone.
Laying just on the cost where only stones separates your sunbaths from the coral sea make this position perfect. There are also two huge swimming pools, two cafés where very polite and kind people work who serve you with the smile from morning until late evening. Rooms are very specious and extremely clean.
If you travel with kids it is great. Kids Club function perfect, staff is very engaged and they do their best to satisfied the trivial wish of each kid. They take a good care and create different games to keep their attention and make them happy. My kids are already asking when they will go again and sending regards to Dami and other “ragazzi” from the team.

Also team from the reception desk, Luigi and Elenia are very helpful and they were there for us for every question, support and advice. I would also like to point out that we have also reserved Rent a Car before head with the hotel and everything was as agreed. Therefore, since there are many negative experiences with renting in Sicily, I would recommend to do it via hotel in advance, and you will have no problem.

The only thing which has to be improved and which for sure make this hotel excellent is breakfast. Namely, it is hard to believe that in a island which is considered as a granary of Italy and which import fruits and vegetables all around the world, is hard to prepare a breakfast where at least tomato, cucumber or pepper will be served. Or is it possible to serve only apples and kiwi when peaches, grapes and apricots are growing all around you?

I hope that management will read this review and do an easy step to make this place as a place from fairytale.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Having read the recent reviews on Tripadvisor, we were really concerned about this holiday and had tried to change it before going but were advised by the booking agency that the hotel was trying to improve on comments made.
The hotel is on a busy road but once inside you are not aware of it. It is modern, light and the views out to the sea are beautiful. The room is small but adequate, was clean with a hot shower.The air conditioning was fine.We had a nice sized balcony but half the rooms only have a half sized balcony.
To comment on previous issues raised, from our perspective:
We arrived at 13.30 hours and were able to check in and go to our rooms immediately. We were offered help with our cases. On arriving in our room we had a problem with the safe but help came within 5 minutes.
We had been particularly concerned re the noise so asked to have a quiet room. We were on the 4th floor in the middle of the hotel. By day with the balcony doors shut we could not hear any music. By night, with ear plugs in situ we were able to sleep but would agree if you had a room just above the music, it would be a problem.
The hotel grounds are over several tiers. We chose to sit at the bottom of the hotel, at one end right by the sea. We could not hear any hotel music during the days we spent there.The sea is wonderfully clear and a joy to swim in.
We were only bed and breakfast and have to agree, breakfast is poor.Very limited choice and quality.As we had no car, in the evenings we ate in the Italian restaurant 'Ancoura' across the road from the hotel. Nice food and lovely staff although gets very busy at weekends.
There is car hire available from reception, also a selection of trips available. There is information in English and tours with English speaking tour guides. We had a wonderful but long day out to Stromboli. As the hotel is extremely isolated I would recommend a hire car.
Weekends in the hotel do get very busy
There are still problems with this hotel but by requesting a high room away from the music and finding a quiet spot by the sea to sit,we still managed to have a very enjoyable week at a very good price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank darlingpa
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The hotel is beautiful, and has great pool facility's and beach, that's where the positives end.

We chose this hotel for our trip home, to visit family as we live in Asia. The location wasn't a problem for us as my partner knows the area and we had a hire car. However it's not the typical holiday location.

After arriving at the hotel, rather yet lagged the front desk continued to speak to my partner in Italian even though we stated I only spoke English, we had no assistance with our luggage to our room.

The room was nice enough, the bight yellow was a little over baring and there was barely enough room to swing a cat, but exhausted we unpacked and settled in. On entering the shower we found a half used shampoo bottle and wet face towel, this would indicate the shower had not been cleaned.

We tried to connect to the "free" Internet, failing to do so my partner went to front desk for assistance, only to be told that she was new and didn't know how to fix it and offered no further assistance.

After visiting family we returned to the hotel around 11pm ready for a good nights sleep only to endure 2 hours of load cheesy music blasting out from the pool area, even a heavy dose of jet lag didn't help us sleep. This continued every night of the stay!

To say the front desk were unhelpful would be putting it mildly, they refused to speak to me and spoke only to my Italian partner in Italian. They had a constant attitude with us as though we were an inconvenience to them. There was never a pleasant good morning or good evening when passing through. The simplest of request or inquires were like asking for blood.

For the last two days of our stay a junior boys football tournament descended on to the hotel filling the hotel with a few hundred under 12s and there parents. Safe to say chaos broke out, the pool was taken over by kids, the whole hotel was full of over excited boys running up and down the corridors screaming and shouting late in to the night. The music went from bad to worse to accommodate the new younger guest and all other guest were treated as second priority. When we asked to keep the noise down we were told there was a function on with a large group and there wasn't anything they could do!!!!???

Check out was like a circus act being sent over here back over there you need to speak to this person then that person. They tried to charge us for Internet we had didn't used, food and drinks were on our bill that weren't ours and then to top it all we were charged 7 euros per day for car parking .... In the middle of nowhere when we hadn't been previously informed! I was shocked at the price due to location, whilst working in major city's centres all over Europe and not paying that much for a days parking! Also once again no assistance with the bags, apparently a bell boy was called but he never appeared.

My partner works in a very exclusive hotel as a senior director and as I travel a lot with my work, we have developed high standards in hotels. Seeing the potential in the beautiful hotel we kindly wrote to them to explain our concerns and discomforts during our stay and politely suggested some improvements. We received a response about a week later stating they felt they had no issues in these areas and it must have been a fluke, they in formed us of the very positive reviews on trip advisor and maybe we should take a look.

Shocked by there response we did check trip advisor and strangely enough we found very similar complaints to ours! Maybe we should have checked before we went!!! We visit Sicily often and this hotel could be a great base for us however after they response to use we won't be staying there again. We also wouldn't normally post a review like this we prefer to offer advise in a way that will help but after the rude response we received we felt there was no other option.

7 Thank Laura N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I just came back from 10 very enjoyable days at the Domina. The upsides to the hotel are the decor of the hotel in general, the beautiful seaview villa we stayed in. The excellent pool area at the bottom of the cliff, and the wonderful soul music played by the pool all day long.
The downsides are the very uninspiring breakfast, the cost of the poolside bar (30 euros for lunch is NOT ok), the very loud music when there is a function making it impossible to be in your room to chill any time before midnight, and the surrounding outside area (Santa Flavia). I would recommend strongly that you Google the area before you go and find places to eat both for lunch and in the evening. We went to La Rotunda/Cafe 113 in the nearby Casteldaccia, and Matahari in Bagheria (both within 5 mins drive from the hotel). Bagheria is also definitely worth a visit for their wonderful little boutiques and designer shops, which are not easy to find if you don't ask someone where they are. Palermo is less than 20 mins drive away. I recommend you take the time to visit Cefalu and Mondello (if you have a car).

Room Tip: Go for a seaview villa as opposed to a room in the main part of the hotel. We had our own stairs an...
1 Thank abbie b
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We booked on line what we thought would be a lovely hotel for a relaxing week in Sicily and we were well pleased with the price, not quite understanding why what appeared to be a four star was quite so cheap. We would very soon find out.

After checking in to our sea view room (sea views attract a supplement of course) in the late afternoon we went out for food. Upon our return we walked past the pool to the lifts and were rather surprised at the amount of noise from the entertainment at the bar where some rather inferior "covers" were being mauled by a rather suspect "artist". The trouble was that once back in our room we couldn't shut out the infernal racket and even using 30dB attenuation ear plugs I could still tell what song was being massacred three floors below us. Having been up to travel since 3AM local time we were anxious to get a good nights sleep but that was not to be. Initially my wife went down to reception to see if we could be moved to another, quieter room and interestingly there was a Spanish lady there asking for the same thing for the same reason, but no rooms were available according to the staff. They did however promise to get the "music" turned down. Nothing happened so after 15 minutes we rang reception and complained again but still nothing changed. We rang again, nothing changed. We rang a third time and this time we were ignored so by now I was absolutely furious and I went down and played merry hell with the staff. I was almost thrown out by security, and it was only after much finger waving and a serious amount of yelling that a solution was eventually promised - despite there apparently being "no rooms available" the following day we were magically moved to a supposed sea view room on the other side of the hotel which was very peaceful, however the sea view was literally that, with no scenery at all, just a window full of hotel accommodation wing and a much restricted view of the sea!

Food:

We didn't eat at the hotel having been conned by the substandard fair such places inevitably offer far too many times in the past and it seems from conversation with other guests that we made the right decision. I STRESS THAT THIS IS WHAT WE WERE TOLD and not our own experience - the food was likened to that which one might find in a "staff canteen", and mention was made of long queues for hot food from a buffet.that was actually stone cold. Breakfast seemed very over-priced at E12 EACH - later in the week we were able to enjoy an incredibly delicious breakfast of hot pizza slices, filled paninis, coffee, exquisite cakes and double gelato mistos, FOR TWO, just a short way down the road for only E14 all in - that's E14 for us both, NOT E14 each.

The local area:

Hmmm... the hotel is situated on a cliff top on a narrow road with no footpaths for most of its length. Massive piles of stinking household rubbish are dumped here, there and everywhere, and walking out you literally take your life in your hands with the crazy local drivers. And there is nothing to see locally either, apart from one restaurant almost opposite the hotel gates (not half bad as it turns out if a little limited) and a grotty restaurant about a quarter of a mile up the road towards the nearest village. You can drive down into the port for a slightly better choice of restaurants but you either pay top whack for something decent or you go cheap and cheerful (but a bit suspect). There doesn't seem to be much else anywhere close that we could find. And forget much in the way of variety apart from seafood or the inevitable pizzas 'cos the steak I managed to find after much searching was like boot leather and the only thing "fillet" about it was the price and the description on the menu. On the plus side the local wine - invariably Nero D'Avola, is quite exquisite!

The hotel amenities:

Three swimming pools, all subject to endless noise the entire time there is anyone about - imagine in-water aerobics 25 yards from the nearest speaker with the volume turned up to ear blasting level to compensate. If I go away for a quiet holiday I don't expect a barrage of noise 18 hours in every 24, especially when the noise is constant irrespective of anyone being anywhere near to listen to it. If I want music I'll take my iPod with me - at least then I can listen to what I chose.

Car parking:

Hmmm.... when we arrived we managed to find a parking spot but we were told that it would not be guaranteed for all the week despite the fact that we were paying E7 a day for the privilege. A huge section of the centre of the car park was cordoned off for two days because they had a function booked in for one night and surprise surprise, functions generate extra revenue - so the attitude of the management is screw the paying guests for the duration in favour of making a fast buck. Not surprisingly the road outside the hotel was the overspill car park and you had to take your life in your hands to walk down the road past them! And whilst on the subject of "the management" - after our contretemps with the duty staff on the first night we requested a meeting with the manager but in seven days it never happened because he was very conveniently not there every time we asked to see him/her/it!!!

Cold Calling:

Imagine our annoyance when the bar rang our room to tell us that they had a new cocktail on the menu from that night and would we like to pre-order some??? Cold calling in a bl**dy hotel??? I find that reprehensible in the extreme and the caller was told where to get off tuit suite. We were also subject to numerous "dead line" calls on the first couple of days and as they interrupted our sleep more than once we disconnected the telephone for most of our stay after that.

Free internet access:

An apology for a service! Half the time it would not work and access involved keying in a complex code and re-opening every browser window on laptop or phone every time you had been out of the room. I like to post a few photos on to Farcebok when I go on holiday so that my family and friends can see what we have been up to but one day it proved absolutely impossible to upload even one picture so flaky was the wireless access service.

In Summation:

If you want third rate food at high prices, constant noise for 18 hours in every 24, hit and miss car parking, and have nothing better to do than sit by a swimming pool tanning yourself then the rooms are nice and the décor is interesting if a little bright - think "bad acid trip". If however you want your hotel to be a comfortable base from which you can venture out to explore the locality - FORGET IT.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere unless noise and naff food are your thing.
9 Thank Martin F
#1 of 17 in Pantelleria
VOI Baia di Tindari Resort
NH Catania Parco Degli Aragonesi
Le Calette Garden & Bay

Been to Domina Zagarella Sicily? Share your experiences!