“Spectacular time!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Tola B&B and Inns
Bocas Town, Panama
“Spectacular time!”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Thank you Philip, Sarah, and Alana! My girlfriend and I stayed at Buena Onda and loved every minute! The staff was very attentive, the rooms clean and comfortable, the swimming pool amazing, the surf pumping and the Tonas really cold..I really would not waste any time or money anywhere else. Philip and Sarah have created an oasis on the beach and they have the right attitude to please everyone. I traveled through Central America this summer and never as comfortable I did at Buena Onda..The food was delicious every meal and I cannot wait to return and have some meals out of the new brick pizza oven. Every night there were food specials that were incredible. I went fishing with Philip a few days and we caught Dorado, Sails, and Yellowfin Tuna. We are returning back next year!

Room Tip: Go to cold beer lady before fishing! And have one before 7am if you are really fishing
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I spent a week with Buena Onda and I am happy to share an awesome review! I've been to a bunch of surf/beach resorts in Central America and Buena Onda is amazing! The staff was the best part of the resort. They are like family with the owners and you can see it is a happy place to work. The rooms are beautiful and relaxing. Did I mention that the landscaping is amazing. Everwhere you look there are palms, pineapple, bananas and various tropical beauties popping with color.
The surfing is world class and the beach is steps from the resort. Let this review tell it: THE BEACH IS SUPER CLOSE!!! Don't forget the awesome pool, which is as well kept as any pool I've evern seen! Daily cleaning and adjustmnts to make the pool just perfect!
By the end of my stay I felt like I was a part of something. A part of a family made up of owners, staff, guests and friends. I will be back to Buean Onda and I will be spreading the word that there is a place so special to surfers and travlers alike. Never once was I not fully taken care of by the staff and owners.
I was fed so well and dropped into amazing waves on breathtaking beaches. Maximum Respect to Buena Onda and staff!!!!

Room Tip: Group trip= Get a Don Pedro house. It was a home away from home with beautiful design, modern look w...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Truro
Reviewed 2 September 2011

me and my boyfriend and a friend stayed here. we came back twice as we really enjoyed it, The rooms were lovely with a variety of private or shared ones and reasonable prices. The restaurant was good, there was a great pool and it was very social. Great location near a big variety of beaches and surf breaks with one right outside the hotel.
The owners were helpful and friendly and lead trips either fishing or on the boat to other surf spots. The owners local knowledge of the area and conditions for surfing and fishing was really helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Mercer, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 10 days. We should not have left. Phillip and Sarah are wonderful. There staff is the greatest and looked after all our needs The food is fabulous. The grounds are beautiful. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Theoldman62
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2011

this place was pretty average. it's isolated and seemed deserted but with the lack of shade it wasn't surprising. the rooms are simple but have absolutely no air flow or ventilation and it was pretty much impossible to sleep after the sun came up because the wall made of glass blocks made it so hot in the room. there's a nice shaded restaurant area and a small pool. it's super close to a rocky beach but the waves weren't working properly while we were there so we can't comment on the surf. we left after one night and headed back up north.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
buena0nda, Propietario at Buena Onda Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you could not entirely enjoy your stay with us. We upgraded you for free in a larger and breezier room. To our defense, April IS the hottest month of the year here and it tends to get hot with little wind blowing at times. We have plenty of rooms with A/C so it might have been an option to get one of those instead. We apologize if this option was not offered to you.

Now the good news: We just completed a major landscaping project with four brand new, large palm thatched, shaded areas and tons of lounging chairs, palm trees and 650 plants! If you decide to come back, we are sure you will find everything to your liking. Kind regards from Playa Santana, Philip & Sarah
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stayed at Buena Onda over the Christmas/New years period 2010/11. The surfing at Buena Onda even though it was not peak season was some of the most memorable waves I have ever ridden. The couple of boat trips Phillip and Dennis took me on where epic. Just sitting in the ocean looking back at the jungle listening to the birds, monkeys is something that needs to be experienced. It also helped that it was a solid 5ft swell. Make sure you are surf fit as you will experience muscle fatigue, cramps and wake up the following morning not being able to move…well until you stroll from your bunk to the restaurant to grab a coffee and you hear the sounds of swell hitting Playa Santana , all muscle aches and pains disappear and you are quickly back in the surf. The best piece of advice I can give you is hit the hot springs after a boat trip… relaxing in the springs with an ice cold beer telling war story’s of the mornings surf session. Another important piece of advice is to make sure you pack a leg rope for boat trips, trust me it is a long swim from Lance’s Lefts lineup to the shore especially when the sets start rolling in. The food at Buena Onda is so fresh, perfectly portioned and more importantly very delicious. Make sure to get Phil to whip up some cerviche or some open flame tenderloins. Buena Onda also was a great place to meet travellers and make friends from all over the globe.
I definitely left Buena Onda with a heavy heart, it was like I was moving out of home for the first time and was saying goodbye to my family. Phillip, Sarah and Dennis are the ideal hosts for this type of accommodation. They went above and beyond to assist Me and my partner and provide us with an amazing experience. They have definately become friends for life and I have already booked my next stay at Buena Onda in December
oh yeah Phillip...i need a room Pronto...Make it a Mini Room.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We loved this place! The food was great, the pool is amazing, the service is outstanding, the rooms and buildings are innovative and exceptional. Playa Santana is surely the most consistnetly great place to surf anywhere in Nicaragua, and Buena Onda is just the place to stay while you are there.

For best results, stay a full week and get all that fresh delicious food (and seafood) into the engine ready for another heavy day of surfing! The owners here are long time surf and skate enthusiasts, do not kid yourself into thinking that they don't get out there - they are always out in the surf, every single day. And who wouldn't if this was the place you called home?

Although the food is a little on the pricey side for what you can get at locally run places in town and a few down the beach, none of the others prepare food of this quality - plus you get free wireless internet, great uniquely designed lounge to hang out in and use of their pristine pool! Don't cheat yourself, this is the number one surf resort in this area, a must visit.

Room Tip: Get a group of friends to book a whole beach shack
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoundTheBendProject
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tola
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
#1 of 1 in Popoyo
Machele's Place
Machele's Place
#1 of 2 in Tola

Been to Buena Onda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!