“Very Pretty Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 5 Tola B&B and Inns
Vashon, Washington
“Very Pretty Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Buena Onda was an enjoyable place to access the beach. The owners and staff were wonderful, and the setting spectacular. The food was first rate. The owner was especially nice and gave me an escort to the local clinic when I was stung by a sting ray on the beautiful beach. We also exchanged reading lists and talked about the culture and history.

The challenge for my husband and I was that we had to rise and retire at the pace of our neighboring guests. The rooms are very close together and the patio creates a shared space that transfers noise to neighboring rooms. We were next to a group of fun loving surfers who liked to party a bit more than we do.

Overall, we enjoyed the area and the hospitality. It would have been nice to have more restaurants nearby, and a little more privacy in our room.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at Buena Onda for 3 nights this month.
The resort is stunning and the attention to detail on the finish of the buildings and landscaping is excellent. Our room was very comfortable, nicely decorated and clean (maid service daily). The only suggestion we would make would be to have a couple of chairs outside the room on the back or side veranda so guests could sit out at night or early morning - we realise that the room we stayed in is normally rented out as part of a whole villa but as we were not allowed to use the top terrace we had nowhere to chill apart from around the pool or in the rancho (not complaining as both are beautiful areas!). The food on offer in the restaurant was delicious and a special is offered each evening. The beers were super cold and we were always greeted with big smiles by all the staff. Don't forget to take your skateboard as well as your surfboard as Philip & Sarah have built a half pipe on their land overlooking the beach.
All in all a great place to stay and meet like minded people in beautiful surroundings with great hosts.....oh and the surf is pretty good too!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Lake Worth, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I went to Playa Santana with four friends of ours and we spent 5 nights at Buena Onda. The resort is absolutely beautiful and the food was delicious every night. The rooms were clean and the staff was lovely. What really made our stay special were the boat trips to perfect uncrowded surf that the owner Phillip organized for us. I loved staying here and I would highly recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe room if you want hot water.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Playa Santana's is a beautifull place with excellent beachbreaks for surf. For the 20 days we've been to Nicaragua this was the most consistent and barrelling surfspot we've catched.
Buena Onda, which is right in front of the beachbreaks, was a surprise for us because we didn't had any references. Just searched for a place to stay in the internet and randomly picked this one. It was a suprise because the place is very cosy and has a very good taste regarding ambience and the rooms. The pool is also very nice especially at the sunset before dinner and drinking a Macua.
Sarah and Philip are a very friendly couple who proudly manage the place. Philip, when we just left, finished a wood stove that definitely promise some very nice home made pizzas. It is one of the excuses for us to come back. Thank's for the hospitality. Signed: the 5 Portuguese mustaches.

Room Tip: If you can afford a little beat more prefer the rooms instead the dorms only beacus of the A/C. The...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nuno_Verissimo
Bocas Town, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Thank you Philip, Sarah, and Alana! My girlfriend and I stayed at Buena Onda and loved every minute! The staff was very attentive, the rooms clean and comfortable, the swimming pool amazing, the surf pumping and the Tonas really cold..I really would not waste any time or money anywhere else. Philip and Sarah have created an oasis on the beach and they have the right attitude to please everyone. I traveled through Central America this summer and never as comfortable I did at Buena Onda..The food was delicious every meal and I cannot wait to return and have some meals out of the new brick pizza oven. Every night there were food specials that were incredible. I went fishing with Philip a few days and we caught Dorado, Sails, and Yellowfin Tuna. We are returning back next year!

Room Tip: Go to cold beer lady before fishing! And have one before 7am if you are really fishing
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

I spent a week with Buena Onda and I am happy to share an awesome review! I've been to a bunch of surf/beach resorts in Central America and Buena Onda is amazing! The staff was the best part of the resort. They are like family with the owners and you can see it is a happy place to work. The rooms are beautiful and relaxing. Did I mention that the landscaping is amazing. Everwhere you look there are palms, pineapple, bananas and various tropical beauties popping with color.
The surfing is world class and the beach is steps from the resort. Let this review tell it: THE BEACH IS SUPER CLOSE!!! Don't forget the awesome pool, which is as well kept as any pool I've evern seen! Daily cleaning and adjustmnts to make the pool just perfect!
By the end of my stay I felt like I was a part of something. A part of a family made up of owners, staff, guests and friends. I will be back to Buean Onda and I will be spreading the word that there is a place so special to surfers and travlers alike. Never once was I not fully taken care of by the staff and owners.
I was fed so well and dropped into amazing waves on breathtaking beaches. Maximum Respect to Buena Onda and staff!!!!

Room Tip: Group trip= Get a Don Pedro house. It was a home away from home with beautiful design, modern look w...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Truro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

me and my boyfriend and a friend stayed here. we came back twice as we really enjoyed it, The rooms were lovely with a variety of private or shared ones and reasonable prices. The restaurant was good, there was a great pool and it was very social. Great location near a big variety of beaches and surf breaks with one right outside the hotel.
The owners were helpful and friendly and lead trips either fishing or on the boat to other surf spots. The owners local knowledge of the area and conditions for surfing and fishing was really helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tola
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
Hotel Punta Teonoste
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
#22 of 27 in San Juan del Sur

Been to Buena Onda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!