“Wow!”

and 1 more site!
Buena Onda Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Tola B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband, 7 year old daughter and I just got back from an amazing week at Buena Onda Beach Resort. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the most friendly staff.
We stayed in one of the three deluxe accommodations. You have a patio outside the front of your room with a hammock and 2 chairs to lounge in, and also a patio in the back which you can access with a sliding glass door. The room was a nice size with 2 beds, air conditioning, ceiling fan, and a private bathroom. The room was very clean as well.
The owners of the hotel were always available and when we wanted to plan an activity, they would make the arrangements for us.
The pool area was a great place to lounge around if you didn't want to be in the ocean, otherwise the beach was just steps away. The beach is a bit rocky, but if you walk down just a little way, you can find areas with sand.
No matter what time of day, the food was always amazing! Especially the lobster tails!!
If we ever make it back to Nicaragua, I will definitely stay here again! We had an amazing experience and would recommend this place to anyone!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a cheaper room, then you can stay in one of the dorm style rooms, however the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BEKWOODD

Reviewed 9 June 2013

My wife (a non-surfer) and I (a surfer) had a great experience here thanks to the beautiful villa, excellent service, meticulously cared-for property, and superb location. The villa was an ultra-clean, large, and borderline luxuriously appointed with excellent bathrooms, kitchen, TV, etc. Philip and Sara, the owners, and Paul, the surf guide, always made us feel welcome and that no question or concern was too small to be handled quickly. The food was outstanding and the rest of the staff was attentive and pleasant. One issue I had a couple times with the staff was that they would make me a smoothie with my own protein powder (that I had specifically for that purpose) and would pour half of the finished smoothie in the trash before putting in the serving glass! My wife told me they were doing that, so I nipped that in the bud quickly. A moderate downside was that Wi-Fi service was painfully slow almost the whole time. As we saw it, there were only 2 real downsides for a non-surfer outside of the control of the resort itself: 1, the beach right out front is rocky and sloped, so it's not ideal for lying in the sun, reading, or just relaxing, and 2, there's not much else to do besides surf and chill in the sun or shade and read. Overall, we would highly recommend Buena Onda to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Villas are superb.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil78Surf
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Three friends and I just returned from a weeklong stay at Buena Onda and could not have had a better experience. We decided to go with the Surf Package, as we were really looking for a no-hassle, super relaxing time. Everyone at Buena Onda went way above and beyond to make sure we had an amazing trip.

The arrival of myself and another member of our group was delayed a day due to mechanical issues on our flight, but the team at Buena Onda quickly arranged a separate taxi to pick us up the following day. As soon as we arrived, we were promptly greeted with huge smiles and cold beers from Connie, the hostess-with-the-mostest. From that moment on, Connie took over the process of tracking down our luggage with the airline and pretty much made sure everything was taken care of for us throughout our stay. She was so on top of every detail around the resort that we took to calling her “Connie-On-It”.

We then hooked up with our two other friends and our guide, Paul. Paul could not have been more chill and accommodating. He quickly got a sense for our surfing ability (not strong) and the type of pace we were looking for (relaxed) and adapted the trip to suit our needs. Paul always brought great local knowledge of the breaks for different conditions, a cooler full of icy, cold beverages and a laugh when one of us took a header over the falls. By the end of the week, he was just another one of the guys.

The accommodations at Buena Onda greatly exceeded our expectations. We stayed in one of the beautifully appointed casitas, which had all the modern conveniences you could want (i.e. AC, satellite TV, internet, etc.). The maintenance crew did an amazing job keeping the grounds and pool area very tidy and in good repair. And the food…oh the food!! The women in the kitchen at Buena Onda really know how to do it right. Every meal was amazing; from fish tacos to lobster tails. Do yourself a favor and be there when the do the special Buena Onda BBQ. The beef tenderloin will blow your mind! Despite spending several hours a day in the water and hot sun, I still managed to put on a few pounds.

Last but not least, the owners Philip and Sara were amazing. Philip was always prompt and thorough in responding to our many questions leading up to the trip. For the duration of our stay, I never saw him without a huge smile and funny story to share. He and his wife have created an extremely comfortable environment and have assembled a team that clearly understands how to deliver exceptional service. It is clear that Buena Onda truly reflects their personalities and values.

The phrase ‘We are so spoiled!’ was used accurately on a daily basis. We met so many great people and had such a fantastic time. I can’t recommend Buena Onda enough for anyone that is looking for a relaxing, no-hassle surf vacation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jpike76
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

I just completed the ultimate surf package with three of my buddies. everything was tremendous from start to finish. We stayed in one of the houses, very nice. The food was outstanding with great service. Our surf
guide, Paul, was up
for anything, including
early morning sessions,
catching fish and most importantly getting us two different breaks safely.
Buena Onda is truly a special place that feels like a cozy bed and breakfast, but provides the service and amenities of a full scale resort. On my next trip to Nicaragua I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My partner and I stayed in Buena Onda for 4 weeks while volunteering at a local health clinic. This was a fantastic place to stay! It's in a great location, very secluded, quiet and literally 30 seconds walk from the beach. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool is also one of the cleanest and best you'll find for miles around. The food in the restaurant is also fantastic, with excellent dinner specials every night and occasionally special specials. We were lucky enough to be there on BBQ night, all-you-can eat meat which was fantastic! The place really has a very nice and relaxed atmosphere.

We stayed in two rooms during our trip. Oceania is a private room with shared bathroom for $30 a night. America also has a private bathroom for $50 a night. The rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. But the rooms were a bit small and only had ceiling fans for cooling. Considering this is Nicaragua, for $30 a night, and especially $50 a night, I would expect to have A/C. Otherwise, I can't fault the rooms.

There are some hidden charges here though that aren't immediately apparent on the website. This was the only minus for me. For example, in the restaurant, everything has a mandatory 10% service charge. This is quite a lot when main meals already cost $7-10 and some specials reach $12. That said, the food is excellent and some of the best we had in Nicaragua. But, you can walk down the beach or walk into town and get dinner for closer to $6. Also, if you want coffee with your breakfast, it costs $1.50 extra. Again, a bit much as breakfast already costs $4-6 and you can get a huge breakfast with coffee for $4 on the beach. Also, it costs $10 to use the Internet for the period of your stay. It should be noted that we were there volunteering and not on holiday, so holiday-makers might well have a different idea of what constitutes excessive charges.

If you have the budget, I would definitely recommend staying in this paradise resort. We really enjoyed our stay!

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My wife and I booked four nights at Buena Onda and ended up staying for eleven. If you are staying and surfing in the Popoyo area then this is the place to be. Great surf right out front at Santana and a short walk to Popoyo and other breaks. My wife liked the pool and cabana area to relax and escape the afternoon heat. Also she was able to get in a few yoga classes while there. Thanks for a great time Philip, Sarah, Paul, and Conny!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ryan D
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Went down for a week expecting a nice relaxing place with good food and a mellow atmosphere (with good surf to compliment it). Ended up being blown away by how amazing the place is! Incredible food, very friendly staff, always someone fun to talk to, and a mini pipe on the beach to boot! I can't speak highly enough of this place and will definitely be returning next year. My only problem is that I couldn't have stayed for longer! Two weeks next time, minimum!

Room Tip: I gave it five stars, but I don't think fitness center or room service are applicable. If you c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlexZ944
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tola
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
#10 of 27 in San Juan del Sur
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
#23 of 27 in San Juan del Sur

Been to Buena Onda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!