“Difficult to beat”

Le Buffet Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Isbergues
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We were booked into here by our hotel in St Venant. Knowing you can't judge a book by its cover we weren't put off by the fairly drab setting and exterior by the railway station. Inside is an elegant oasis, surrounded by a pretty garden. We were greeted by smiling English speaking staff. We were tired after a long day and opted for the basic €30 menu ,did I say basic ?? .first we had canapés ,salmon tart ,sausage and cheese madeleines. The an amuse bouche, followed by beautifully cooked fish for me and veal for himself. Then a refreshing orange and grapefruit jelly with green tea sorbet, and a coffee tartlette. Coffee came with its own menu along with a selection of beautifully home made confectionary then following up the rear a slate plate of fudge and tiny brownies.
The smiling chef came out to greet all his patrons, something much appreciated. We have eaten well in France but often with pretentious staff, not here. If your close by don't miss it.
The house wine started at €5.50 per glass not bad for a reasonable wine. My husband opted for the €8 burgundy and Said it was excellent.
We were told my our hotel that the next restaurant we were booked I is even better, I have no idea how it can be this was superb in all ways.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tricia B

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have visited this restaurant with rooms 4 times now and it never disappoints.
The food is delicious and worthy of any top Michelin Star restaurant. In fact it is far better than any Michelin Star restaurant I have visited and you would be amazed at the skill of the chef here and the value for money. Last weekend I had the 3 course at 30 euros but this comes as standard with canapes, amuse bouche, home made chocolates and petit fours. My husband always goes for the 45 euro Gourmand menu which includes the "Cheese Chariot", I have never seen such reverie over cheese but there must be at least 15 regional varieties.
The rooms are standard but very clean and it has become a firm favourite of ours when returning from a trip through Europe.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HLF2014
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I think the only reason for coming here is the restaurant. The rooms are small but comfortable, bright by day and clean. At 70 euros they are very good value but this is negated by the cost of dinner. There was a bath-tub in the room and free WiFi. The coat hangars were of the type that you cannot steal; I thought this sad in such a small place. The only down side was the very dim lighting making it difficult to read in bed.
The restaurant was OK but I found it expensive with a too limited menu. There did not seem enough staff for a restaurant of this quality and by the end of the meal they had all but disappeared. There were only two a waiter and waitress. They were both young and seemed trained but inexperienced. Unusually for this part of France they did not speak English. Unfortunately they would make rehearsed speeches at you and found it difficult to listen to your wants or answer questions. (We do speak enough french to get by.)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gmm83
Reviewed 20 November 2012

One reviewer has described this as a restaurant with rooms, and this seems an appropriate comment. Isebergues itself has little to offer apart from this place! Great for a relaxing overnight stay and a "treat" dinner and we have actually stayed there on three occasions now. Very convienient for Calais and a few hypermarkets (if you want to shop). The rooms are individually decorated and not especially large, but I can't find fault with them. Service is great and the same restaurant staff have served us in the last 2 years. I look forward to going back again and again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank London1915
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Unplanned on our trip back home to Antwerp we "landed " in this very pleasant hotel . Rooms are comfortable , very clean and decent furnished. Bathrooms well equipped.
Upon our reservation call we were asked - what appeared later by the chef himself - if we would also stay for diner , which we confirmed.
We have not regretted this for a second as the menu we choose was excellent prepared and very tastefull.
Next morning for breakfast , it was the chef himself who greeted us and served us the best breakfast I had since a long time in France.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank habrug
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We have stayed at Le Buffet about 6 times now and are always delighted by the quality of the food, the charm of the owners and the staff and the pleasantness of the rooms. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie E
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed here with friends over the weekend of 3rd and 4th December. We chose this hotel because it is a Logi with 3 chimneys and 3 casseroles, and because our friends had stayed there before and recommended it.

Our room was clean but small and had no view (the hotel is right opposite the Station in Isbergues). It was moderately comfortable but basic.

However, the food was probably the most amazing we have ever encountered, from the "Amuse bouches" we were given when we sat and played cards in the reception, through an absolute feast of four courses for dinner, to an absolute top quality cheese platter. The menu was imaginative and uniquely presented in innovative ways on really unnusual china, with sauces and accompaniements dreamed up by a very imaginative chef. Unfortunately my husband failed to appreciate the mustardy sauce which came with his sea bass, but my fillet steak and accompaniements was faultless, as were our friends' choices. The wine complemented the food really well, and we were over-all delighted with this meal.

Breakfast next morning was served at table, and we felt that a buffet-style would have been preferable, as we were served with exactly one portion each of all that was on offer. However, it did comprise fresh fruit, conserves, croissants, bread and other sundries, together with orange juice and coffee. We did have to ask for a fill-up of coffee, so I thought maybe a jug on the table would have been very welcome!

Over all, this was a delightful place to stay, but the area around it does not have much to offer in the way of entertainment, and I am not sure we would stay there again unless we especially wanted to be in that area.

However, for food and service it was outstanding and well deserves its three "marmites", but I am not sure about the three chimneys, as I felt the standard of the rooms left something to be desired.

Room Tip: A room furthest away from the railway would be a good option, but as there are only five rooms in al...