“Village Charm”

Ranked #7 of 34 Restaurants in Wakefield
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Good drinks. Good food. Pretty good times.
Kingston, ON
“Village Charm”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were there with friends who live in the area. It was a wonderful local spot where many knew each other. It has a charming, eclectic feel to it. There was bar seating and various table seating with low and high tables. There was a small selection of books in our area for bar games and the Dummies Guide to Mixed Drinks! The servers were quick and very friendly w/o being syrupy (a real knack, I believe). There was a good selection of beers on tap including some traditional British like Bass and Boddingtons. It was Thai night and the food was very good with each dish individually prepared. The patio looked good but with the unseasonably cold July we did not venture out. The view is a reasonable look across the river but from across the road. We look forward to going back some day.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank bobs22

Hamilton, Canada
“Stop by”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I had the best lobster sandwich I ever ate. Flavourful, big chunks of lobster. Great service and a nice ambience. It's worth stopping by.

2 Thank Denise O
Peterborough, Canada
“Bar and restaurant with a view but inside is very tired.....”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went for dinner with local friends, with a reservation. A table outside with a view was unavailable , so we were placed inside at a wobbly table and after two minutes of trying to figure out the wobble. The one man show came over and said well it must of just fallen off some coasters under the legs, ill just reset them, which he did the wobble persisted , so we headed over to a more stable table. Then for drinks the beer choice on tap was reasonable and three went for tapped draft, the other requested a Riesling from the menu , sorry not in stock. another white wine was recommended but was weak. So on to appetizers nice selection. We all felt like spring rolls. The main man came over and said the chef had told him all that he had for appetizers was Spring rolls. We all had a sigh of relief. And I said in jest to the main man , thank goodness you were pitching a no hitter, his response was quick and without jest, "so are you buddy". My wife grabs my knee under the table. The response was left in my mouth. Three of us ordered Pad thai and it took a long time to get there but for a small town in the hills of Gatineau its was palatable. And the serving size appropriate. With so much time on my hands I could not help but notice the areas that require improvement.
The overall appearance was tired. It was well worn and the locals excepted that and really in a small town thats important. I am all for nostalgia and the worn look but tables chairs should be safe and repaired. The doors to the toilets should be on auto closers ie a spring, a hydraulic cylinder or something . Looking at the toilet from your dinner seat is not delightful , one of us had to get up and and close it. The stage was rough and too many wires in a jumble, and unappealing. I would go back only to have a beer with a view outside. Inside , only if grumpy was off.
The chef was a well respected area chef whom I believe was from Soupcon. So she was the only saving grace in my humble opinion......That of 35 years of world travel and as a senior writer for trip advisor.

• Visited July 2014
Chelsea, Canada
“Friendly Ambiance, Riverside View from Patio”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Have not had a meal there yet but have always enjoyed the live music and feel of a local pub. Open Mic nights a good chance to hear local talent.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Bill B
Ottawa, Canada
“Great experience”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This place doesn't look like much from the outside, but we decided to try it based on other tripadvisor reviews. There was a good selection of beer on tap, service was very fast and friendly. I had a chickpea and sausage soup and a quinoa salad and my husband had a roast beef sandwich. Both were delicious. The ambiance is....interesting but we will go back again for the food.

• Visited May 2014