“best meal in Wakefield”

Kaffe 1870
Ranked #7 of 34 Restaurants in Wakefield
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Canadian
Description: Good drinks. Good food. Pretty good times. The locals' pub, serving Comfort Food 11-9 everyday, with live music at least 4 nights a week.
Wakefield, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best meal in Wakefield”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My family has tried every restaurant in Wakefield, and we all agreed our favourite meal was at Kaffe 1870. Their roasted veg sandwhich -- with portabello mushrooms, red peppers, lemon aioli, goat cheese, and more -- was outstanding, as was the quinoa salad.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Gollorum B

Toronto, Canada
“good value”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

friends in Cantley recommended this place - great scenic view from the patio and a very good soup, veggie plate and veggie burger - would go back.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Norm M
Kingston, ON
“Village Charm”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were there with friends who live in the area. It was a wonderful local spot where many knew each other. It has a charming, eclectic feel to it. There was bar seating and various table seating with low and high tables. There was a small selection of books in our area for bar games and the Dummies Guide to Mixed Drinks! The servers were quick and very friendly w/o being syrupy (a real knack, I believe). There was a good selection of beers on tap including some traditional British like Bass and Boddingtons. It was Thai night and the food was very good with each dish individually prepared. The patio looked good but with the unseasonably cold July we did not venture out. The view is a reasonable look across the river but from across the road. We look forward to going back some day.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank bobs22
Hamilton, Canada
“Stop by”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I had the best lobster sandwich I ever ate. Flavourful, big chunks of lobster. Great service and a nice ambience. It's worth stopping by.

2 Thank Denise O
Peterborough, Canada
“Bar and restaurant with a view but inside is very tired.....”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went for dinner with local friends, with a reservation. A table outside with a view was unavailable , so we were placed inside at a wobbly table and after two minutes of trying to figure out the wobble. The one man show came over and said well it must of just fallen off some coasters under the legs, ill just reset them, which he did the wobble persisted , so we headed over to a more stable table. Then for drinks the beer choice on tap was reasonable and three went for tapped draft, the other requested a Riesling from the menu , sorry not in stock. another white wine was recommended but was weak. So on to appetizers nice selection. We all felt like spring rolls. The main man came over and said the chef had told him all that he had for appetizers was Spring rolls. We all had a sigh of relief. And I said in jest to the main man , thank goodness you were pitching a no hitter, his response was quick and without jest, "so are you buddy". My wife grabs my knee under the table. The response was left in my mouth. Three of us ordered Pad thai and it took a long time to get there but for a small town in the hills of Gatineau its was palatable. And the serving size appropriate. With so much time on my hands I could not help but notice the areas that require improvement.
The overall appearance was tired. It was well worn and the locals excepted that and really in a small town thats important. I am all for nostalgia and the worn look but tables chairs should be safe and repaired. The doors to the toilets should be on auto closers ie a spring, a hydraulic cylinder or something . Looking at the toilet from your dinner seat is not delightful , one of us had to get up and and close it. The stage was rough and too many wires in a jumble, and unappealing. I would go back only to have a beer with a view outside. Inside , only if grumpy was off.
The chef was a well respected area chef whom I believe was from Soupcon. So she was the only saving grace in my humble opinion......That of 35 years of world travel and as a senior writer for trip advisor.

• Visited July 2014