“A beautiful property”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
“A beautiful property”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Mill after purchasing a TravelZoo deal which included vouchers for the spa and fine dining restaurant. The location of the Mill is stunning, overlooking a waterfall. It is a short walk to the village of Wakefield, and conveniently located to restaurants, cafes and the Black Sheep Inn (music venue).

Our check-in was fast and friendly. We stayed in the new Eco Lodge away from the main building. We had a queen sized bed, a bathroom with shower, a small table with two comfy seats and a view of the river. The bathroom amenities provided (shampoo, conditioner and bath gel) are in a dispenser in the shower and are not good quality (but they smell nice). I will bring my own next time. The room was modern but had nice wood accents making it very cozy. There are two hot tubs on-site, but we only used the one closest to our room. It was hot the first two times we used it, but was too cool on our last day.

We had the table d'hote dinner at the fine dining restaurant. Much thought was put into the menu, but the execution wasn't great. Some items were undercooked, and much of the meal felt overly elaborate. The next night we walked to Le Hibou - a casual bistro/cafe with a menu of seafood and vegetarian items. The food was simple, perfectly cooked and inexpensive, plus our table had a gorgeous view of the river and Gatineau Hills.

I would definitely recommend the Wakefield Mill and I plan on returning. However, I'll pass on the fine dining restaurant and maybe try their lounge instead.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Eco section are spacious, but you have to upgrade to get a bath tub. There are nice...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I went to this beautiful inn for a work event, where we were lucky enough to be spending the night. I was 8 months pregnant and was given a room on the top floor (4th) of the main building with windows so high I couldn't see out of them but they faced the parking lot. Much less, the elevator only goes up to the 3rd floor afterwhich you have to take the stairs up to the 4th floor, and the signage directing you to the stairs are not clearly visible. As I could not partake in any of the activities i.e. massages or the outdoor jacuzzi, I opted for a bath in my room but there were no jets in the tub, so it was no different from taking a bath at home.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and it was quite a pity that I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the sereness of the setting from my room as others have discussed here. The catering for our meals (dinner and lunch) was superb and was the only saving grace of my stay.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thewakefieldmill, Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment and congratulations.

I am very sorry that you were reserved in one of four rooms that are not serviced by an elevator. Normally our team would reassign a room if they were aware of your condition. As you visited in February, perhaps heavy winter coats didn't help our team's normally strong observation skills. For any travellers reading this, I would suggest that that you inform our team, (or any hotel for that matter), about accessibility or health-related issues -- you will be reassigned rooms accordingly. For a renovated industrial heritage building covering six floors, our public areas and most rooms are universally accessible.

Please also be aware that with advance notice, we can schedule massage therapists that specialize in cases of advanced pregnancy.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Robert Milling
Reviewed 19 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at the inn in the middle of March 2013 and really enjoyed ourselves. The setting, beside a creek and waterfall, was beautiful. The building fits the theme of the mill, with plenty of stone and wood in the decor. The inn is located about 30 km from Ottawa in the town of Wakefield which is located right on the Gatineau River. It's not a large village, but there's more than a few places you can wander into, including a bakery, several bars and the Black Sheep Inn (where they have good live music from time to time). Checking in and out of the inn went well. Our room was not large but it had everything we needed. It overlooked the waterfall. We didn't hear a peep from any adjoining rooms - nice and peaceful. Had a couple of drinks in the lobby/bar area, in front of the fireplace - very romantic. Didn't go to the spa, but I've heard from friends that it's excellent. Went to the inn's restaurant and had a great meal. We had no complaints at all about anything. The staff were friendly and all spoke English well. We'd definitely recommend it and we'd return anytime.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the water side of the inn.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We really enjoyed our overnight stay in March 2013. The falls were gorgeous and we were very happy with our room. We highly recommend you stay in a room with king size bed overlooking falls. Well worth the extra money. It was extremely relaxing to fall asleep with the sound of the waterfall next to us. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. It had a real homey atmosphere and we did not feel like we were staying in a hotel, but rather a home away from home. The food was exceptional and the service was fantastic. Everyone was extremely friendly and eager to please. I enjoyed a massage at the spa and it was fantastic. Very clean and the sound of the falls was a nice touch. We are planning to make this a yearly experience for us. Make sure you bring your bathing suit for the outdoor hot tub and good walking boots for hiking trails just steps away from inn.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking river.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

It was an amazing getaway for one night to celebrate an anniversary. Everyone was extremely nice and we felt very welcome. It is a gem! Beautiful place to hike with the spa and the fine restaurant was delicious!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the waterfall is beautiful. There is no fitness centre but there are many activ...
Reviewed 13 March 2013

A disappointment. I was in a room in the Eco lodge. The room was very nicely furnished and had a lovely view. Unfortunately the hot water tap in the sink was uncooperative, the bedside lamps on one side of the bed did not work and there was no tub just a very large shower. In addition, neither of the outdoor hot tubs was working When I asked to switch to a room with a tub I was told that it would be an extra $60 (that must have been some swanky tub!!!).
My greatest disappointment however was the poor service and mediocre food in the Heron Room. Not seeing anything posted to suggest the contrary, I sat myself in the near empty room. There were two other parties seated enjoying afternoon tapas and wine being doted upon by a thoughtful and attentive waiter. I smiled at him. Nothing. I leafed through my magazine certain that he'd bring me the menu soon. Nothing. Caught his eye again. Nothing. This all went on for about 20 minutes. Finally I asked a passing busboy to ask someone to serve me. Waited. Nothing. I was just about to leave when a new waiter appeared. I walked up to him and asked for a glass of wine, and expressed my displeasure. He was kind but still never gave me a menu although he did fetch me my wine. Afterwards I spoke to someone who seemed to be in charge of the adjoining bar and the Heron Room who told me that I should have waited to be seated. I pointed out that there was no signage indicating this and that I would have gladly cooperated had the waiter made any attempt to communicate with me. Needless to say I went elsewhere for dinner.
When I checked out the following morning I told the front desk about my disappointments. They were kind and apologetic. But, their grand gesture to acknowledge my displeasure? They comped me my $7 cold buffet breakfast. Hmmmmm.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Ottawa,Ontario
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Recently my spouse and I had the delight to spend an overnight at the Wakefield Inn and Spa. We stayed in the Eco lodge and were very happy with our room and the quiet night's sleep. The highlight of our stay had to be our dinner in the restaurant.The whole evening was a cornucopia of tastes. The chef put together such intriguing mixes of flavors that all balanced so incredibly well! Each course introduced us to new foods prepared in original ways. I am not a terribly adventurous eater but was delighted to experience these combinations! The lamb and steak we ordered were amazing.The meal lasted 2 hours including complimentary canapy to start and a "palate cleansing" red wine/liquor drink between courses. A real "European feel" of relaxed dining! The next day we had massages that were wonderful from start to finish. I am looking forward to our next stay with much anticipation!

Room Tip: The Eco Lodge is a little away from the hustle and bustle of the main building,if you don't mind...
1 Thank TravellingGals54
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Alpengruss Motel
#2 of 3 in Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
#1 of 25 in Gatineau
Hotel V
#6 of 25 in Gatineau
Byward Market Area
Andaz Ottawa Byward Market

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!