“Euopean Style Hotel in the Quebec Hills”
Review of Alpengruss Motel

Alpengruss Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
plymouth, mi
“Euopean Style Hotel in the Quebec Hills”
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This is one of the few options if you want to stay in Wakefield. it's a quaint, old little hotel with the lobby and restaurant at the foot of a hill and the rooms on the top of the hill. it has that Bavarian feel in decor and hosipitality and you find yourself forgetting you are still in North America at times. It's set in a beautiful wooded ridge.

When I walked into my room, the first, overwhelming impression was - COLD. It was freezing in there! There is a small, radiant-heat unit in the wall, which I immediately cranked. My room remained freezing for the next hour or so until I left and returned several hours later. Then it was fine.

The room was spacious and cozy (once it warmed up!) with nice hardwood floors, a couch and a nice balcony overlooking the restaurant below. There is a door with an interesting leather padding with heart-patterned studs in it. The bed was not the most comfortable one I've had, but it was ok, and the quilt in the closet was a mandatory additon to the coverings.

The bathroom could have used some work. The tiles were cold and the grout was deteriorating and worn. The shower spewed brown water from the rusty pipes for a moment before clearing up. The towels were mismatched and worn, frayed from overuse. The water was hard and soap was tiny, gritty blocks.

Breakfast the next morning, surprisingly, was really great. The bacon was cooked to chewy perfection, the eggs hot and not over or uner cooked, and everything delivered quickly and accuratley. It seems to be a very popular place for breakfast, so best to get there early as it was filling up quickly after opening at 8am.

It's not a great place, there are some improvements needed, but it has character and the setting is very nice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank adavici

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I booked a room two weeks before coming and find out that my booking was cancelled only after arriving there. They got a better deal - a group booking and simply stepped over me and my family. If you don't wont it happened to you please don’t go there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Eugenia018

Travellers are raving about these Wakefield hotels

Reviewed 1 July 2011

Stayed here for one night. NEVER AGAIN. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Dirty and tired. NOT secure - you can't tell if the door is actually locked from the inside - most important when you are going to sleep at night! Abrupt and cold customer relations - I dare not call it customer service. Torn bedding. Dust everywhere. Musty feeling in the rooms. I'm sure the bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned in WEEKS. Poorly maintained overall. Just gross. At this price point, cheap & cheerful is what you should want. Clean and secure is what you expect, no matter the cost.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fishoutofwaterwp
Jess H, Owner at Alpengruss Motel, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
We are new owners of the Alpengruss Cafe & Motel as of April 2012. We hope that you will come back and check out our hard work!
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We checked into the Motel for a one night stay as all the other hotels, motels and B&Bs in the area were already booked for the long weekend and this was the only place we could get.

After our evening out in Wakefield we were readying ourselves for bed around 2am and we discovered a bed bug on the pillow of one of the beds. After inspecting further, we discovered bed bug feces in the folds of the mattress.

As there is no one at reception during the night to assist, we made the decision to sleep in our car vs the infested room. However, all our bags had been left open, on the floor, and we were unsure if any bugs had made their way into our clothes, etc.

At 9am Sunday morning, we went to go speak to the hotel manager about what had occurred. Her immediate reaction was concern for her own apartment on the property.

She refunded our money for our one night stay without any problem, which we appreciated, however no apology or concern for our belongings (or the fact we spent the night in a cold car) were offered.

She also did not acknowledge that we now had to spend an entire morning of our vacation laundering all of our belongings at the local laundry mat (the location of which she only offered up after we inquired).

Our friends were in another room and while we had also discovered one bed bug in their room, they chose to stay in the room, partly because we had to sleep in their car and there wouldn't have been room for everyone in the vehicle. At 2am, there weren't a lot of options. When we told the manager they also had bed bugs but stayed in the room, her reaction was "Well I can't refund their money because they stayed in the room."

We were in room 3, our friends room 15.

Apparently they have a great breakfast at the restaurant (a place I'd be leery to eat at given the hotel has bed bugs, but that's your choice!), but I would definitely NOT recommend you stay there.

The furnishings, carpeting, and walls are dark and old, the beds and bedding are obviously not in good condition, and the bath linens are something your mom would use for rags, well passed their usability.

When we told this story to locals, they were not surprised. The hotel has apparently been falling into disrepair over the years and they have chambermaids who are known not to pay the closest attention to cleanliness.

While we appreciate the manager refunded our money, her lack of compassion and concern for her own belongings over the fact her guests had to sleep in cars were the most upsetting.

On the other hand, James, the guy who runs the laundry mat is AMAZING. He googled solutions to the problem, gave us lots of advice on how to ensure any possible bed bug eggs did not survive, and even gave us free laundry detergent and ensured all his machines were up and working for us. Great guy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank MelanieBC
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I had absolutely no idea what my hubby and I were in for while staying at the Alpengruss! First of all, they make you pay for the room even before you see it. We paid a total of $92.00 for room number 11 on the second floor and were then given the keys. We weren't expecting much for the price, and this motel was just to be a stop over on our journey up to Mt-Laurier, to a Bed and Breakfast.

When we opened the door, our first impression of the place was somewhat ok, with new fake hardwood flooring, but the smell was horrible. It was a strong and foul musky, orange peel odor.
Then we took a closer look to find that nothing had been cleaned in a long while. I went to turn on the TV and a huge amount of dust was on the screen, the bedding was all snagged and old looking, the windows of the sliding glass door were awful and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years, a brown film made it hard to see outside.
The sliding door actually opened, but with a horrible screeching, rusty, noise. The front door had to be closed pretty hard to lock it, and it only had the push-in-knob type of lock, which I didn't like from the get-go.
The fire place, which was the main source of heat, smelled like urine when turned on. (no joke)
Do I even need to describe how awful the bathroom was? There were rust rings around the bath drain and the bath had been cracked and filled with a cheap filler, the tiles were scummy and the bottom of the bath was brown. My hubby and I agreed that we wouldn't take any kind of shower. The bathroom sink was the only thing that was new in the room.

We just wanted to leave, but couldn't get a refund, as we'd already paid up front. We decided to stick it out and leave extra early to make our way to our next destination.

That night, at 3:30am, there was a shifting of our doorknob and then 3 severe bangs and then the break-in. I've never seen my hubby up in such a terrified hurry and slammed whoever was in our suite out the door and told me to call 911.
Within seconds the police were at our door and looking for the guy. It was so scary, there was only us in the motel and a group of strange hunters below us. Had the hotel provided the room with a deadbolt lock or chain lock on the door, things would have been more secure. Thank God we were okay, but without hesitation, we packed up and left!

We advised the motel at around 4:30am by ringing the buzzer at the front restaurant and in his very professional way, told us to leave the key outside as he would be getting up in the next hour to start breakfast! I couldn't believe that he didn't come down to get the key! Anyone could have come by and taken it. NOT SECURE!

Word to the wise, if the B&B's and motels are all booked up in Wakefield, DON'T STAY AT THE ALPENGRUSS!!! LOOK ELSEWHERE!!!!!

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Canucksfan1
Reviewed 1 October 2007

I took the Hull-Chelsea-Wakefield steam train to Wakefield, stayed overnight at the Alpengruss and took the steam train back to Hull the next morning. I had wanted to stay in a B&B, but all the B&Bs within walking distance of the train were full - one of them suggested the Alpengruss. It appears that the lodging owners in Wakefield help each other out with recommendations, as a couple of them recommended various others to me. This speaks of a nice professional relationship, and is reassuring to a visitor.

The Alpengruss is "rustic" but clean. It seems more like a ski lodge type of set-up, rather than a typical hotel. The walls in the room were exposed brick (1 wall), old dark wood panelling (two walls) and white drywall. There were lots of rooms available.

Here are the advantages as I saw them, and amenities:

-beautiful setting in the woods - surrounded by large, mature trees. Nice brick fire stove in the secluded back yard. Across from the front of the hotel are the steam train tracks, then the river, then the beautiful hills on the other side of the river.
-excellent location - a 1-min. walk from the end of the steam train line, and 1-15 minutes from the various restaurants, shops and cafes in the picturesque village of Wakefield.
-a restaurant on-site (which I did not try, as it turns out, so can't comment - but it was very busy (a good sign) and my travelling companion was told that they serve over 300 meals a day.
-telephone reservation was very easy, pleasant and efficient.
-on arrival (before normal check-in time) we spoke to the desk staff and the cleaner, and were able to leave our bags in the room even though it had not yet been cleaned - this helped us quite a bit. The cleaner was very nice (hi Helen!).
-each room on the upper floor has a nice balcony overlooking the trees and the road just beyond. You can hear a little decorative waterfall on the property. The stars at night are amazing!!!!! It's great to get out of the city.
-cable TV with remote control (about 2/3 of the channels are in French, as this is Quebec; the others are in English).
-pretty good price - our room with a single double bed was approx. C$75 for a night.
-the room and bathroom were very clean.
-bar soap and drinking glass included.
-towels and bathmat included.
-phone books.
-telephone.
-working bar fridge.
-spacious closet with real hangers that you can actually remove from the rod.
-the sheets, pillows, pillowcases, blanket and quilt seemed new and were clean.

Here are the drawbacks as I saw them, and the amenities that are NOT included:

-no elevator (not an issue for us but could be for others). There was just one easy flight of outdoor stairs to the rooms on the upper level, and there are several rooms on ground level as well.
-no deadbolt lock - only the type of lock where you push the doorknob and turn it. Not very secure!!
-no peep-hole on the door to see who's outside.
-the lock on the sliding door to the balcony did not work, but they did have a long piece of wood to put on the other side of the door to prevent it from opening more than a few inches.
-at 10:30 the next morning (1/2 hr before check-out), someone knocked loudly on the door - we called out "hello" from inside the room - someone outside said "no problem, we're just checking the rooms" ... I saw no reason to disturb guests 1/2 hr before checkout.
-the mattress sagged a bit and was not very comfortable. We could feel the coils inside. We slept poorly.
-the carpet was old but appeared clean.
-no blow-drier in room.
-no iron or ironing board in room.
-no shampoo or lotion in bathroom.
-no coffeemaker in room.
-the wooden headboard fell off the wall during the night, and dropped between the bed and the wall. Not on our heads, fortunately.

In all, the Alpengruss is in an excellent location and setting. It's old and rustic but clean. The mattress is not great. You'll have to bring your own shampoo. Good value for the money. I would go again if I couldn't find a B&B in town.

• Liked — Location and setting!!
  • Disliked — Bad mattress.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank northern2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
#12 of 26 in Gatineau
La Grange Country Inn
La Grange Country Inn
#4 of 4 in Wakefield

Been to Alpengruss Motel? Share your experiences!