“Quaint, Quiet & Comfortable”
Review of Alpengruss Motel

Alpengruss Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Port Perry, Ont
“Quaint, Quiet & Comfortable”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

we spent the night here last night in room 19. We had a very clean room with a comfortable king sized bed. Not a 4 star, but that was not what we were looking for. The bathroom could use some updating, but the rest of the room was great. We had breakfast this morning in the restaurant...service was slow and the food was adequate...perhaps more of what you would expect from a "greasy spoon". We would stay here again though as our stay overall was pleasant.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ottawa
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The service for lunch was poor and slow. Food had to be returned to be reheated. We only say the young girl setting the tables and had a hard time getting a waitress to serve us. No tip. Will not return.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Wakefield hotels

Manotick
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Everything was very good. Rooms are in a state of 'renewal' and should be completed in a short period of time. A real makeover is in the works, and long overdue.
Ambiance, food and hospitality were just great. Staff are second to none and very accommodating to one's needs.
We will be back!!!!

Room Tip: My room was quite, and yet need of new bathroom makeover soon......otherwise it is not useable, very...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank chefmaster12
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Just stayed at the Alpengruss in room 11 for one night. We had to pay upfront, which was strange as most hotels don't charge you until checkout. As well, the reception desk is in the restaurant, down the hill from the actual hotel, so you can't see what the hotel itself is like before you've already paid.

The room looked okay upon arrival, very quaint in terms of decor and atmosphere. It had a little wood stove which I imagine could be quite nice in the winter. The bathroom was pretty rundown and the towels were definitely not anything close to fantastic.

However, I can be quite forgiving of hotels, so this stuff was not the worst. I was not expecting Hilton-style quality or anything, but, what I *do* expect from ANY hotel is a reasonably comfortable bed. Our bed was not at all anything close to comfortable. I think I could count the number of springs that were in my back at night, and the bed did the "hotdog effect" (where everyone rolls towards the sagging centre). Neither my boyfriend nor I were able to sleep well at all that night.

Checkout was simple. We gave the key in at reception and then said goodbye. (I would like to note that they did not ask how our stay was, otherwise I may have told them that they really need to invest in better matresses...)

All in all, it could be a cute motel if they would buy new mattresses. But currently, for $120/night (tax included), I think there must be something better in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Eleanor665
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2012

When we ski in this beautiful region, we always come back to this motel. First of all, the price is incredible & you cannot beat the location! People are going to complain because the rooms are not luxurious. We consider the property more of a ski chalet....simple but comfortable. We always ask for a room with a gas fireplace. Lovely!! Now I agree with other reviewers that the bathrooms are outdated and quite shabby so bring your own bath towels and SOAP (we always have a little giggle over their terrible soap!) The restaurant is OUTSTANDING! We've only eaten dinner there once (it was incredible) but we NEVER miss breakfast. They serve the best french toast I have ever eaten. The owners are gracious and the servers are a delight. Unless you are looking for luxury, do NOT allow any negative reviews turn you away from this little gem....especially if you are looking for a very decent place to stay after a fabulous day of skiing or a fun night at The BlackSheep! We LOVE Wakefield!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank lb64
Paris, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Many family members were attending a wedding and we all booked in to the Alpengruss Restaurant and Motel. Three of the rooms we booked were totally uninhabitable: one reeked of fuel oil, one smelled of sewer, (air freshener was offered for both) and the third had water dripping from a collapsed bathroom ceiling. Luckily there were enough beds that everyone doubled up with 4 to a room. We were still charged for the 3 unused rooms. If you have to stay, check out the room before you pay! Or better still - stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: (no pool) Some rooms were "OK"; check it before you pay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank boxcarannie
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I don't understand people who go to a motel thinking they're going to get luxury like the Hilton. You have to remember it is a motel, they may not have top of the line tv's or beds. That's what you get for paying 60$.

I stayed at the Alpengruss at the beginning of December with my brother and I was actually surprised with the rooms. I really didn't know what to expect, I thought it would be a little run down, but the room that we got was clean and nicely decorated. Yes, the motel could use some improvements, but nothing that stopped us from having an enjoyable night.

We also ate dinner at the restaurant, the meal was good. It felt like I was having a home cooked meal and the waitress was very nice.They're homemade bread it absolutely amazing. We had breakfast and it was really good.

Overall I think this place is good for the price. It isn't luxury but it was clean and everything was working well. My expectations were met, because I was thinking realistically and knew it was a motel not hotel.

I would definitely go back because I absolutely loved the town and I think the prices were affordable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ang0316
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
#13 of 25 in Gatineau
La Grange Country Inn
La Grange Country Inn
#4 of 4 in Wakefield

Been to Alpengruss Motel? Share your experiences!