Alpengruss Motel
Motel Montcalm(Gatineau)
Motel Ritz(Gatineau)
Motel Adam(Gatineau)
View Hotel
All reviewsbar fridgegas fireconvenient locationking bedsummer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We've been here twice in two years and can see that some needed updates are gradually being made.

The new addition of little heater stoves in some of the rooms (I think 1, 2, 11, and 12) is a really cute and functional thing to have in a hilltop alpine-style motel. Love them!

The beds are comfortable and the bedding clean and new, the room styles are a mix of charming old brick and newly painted walls with a few new accessories that differ room to room.

The fridges in the cabinet of all the rooms we've seen are really nice to have. The bathrooms have pocket doors, which are a bit awkward, but functional, and the bathrooms are old but clean and have heaters and nice hot water.

One thing that really bums me out about this place is the wifi accessibility. I can only reach the wifi while sitting inside the cafe, and since the hotel is up the hill a short ways, there's no option for internet there. Looking forward to hopefully having that available next time we're in town.

Don't miss the award-winning breakfast in the cafe; be sure to get a side of homemade brown toast. It's delicious. And the kids pancake option came out with a little smiley face made in the pancakes, which was a hit. :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2013

we spent the night here last night in room 19. We had a very clean room with a comfortable king sized bed. Not a 4 star, but that was not what we were looking for. The bathroom could use some updating, but the rest of the room was great. We had breakfast this morning in the restaurant...service was slow and the food was adequate...perhaps more of what you would expect from a "greasy spoon". We would stay here again though as our stay overall was pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The service for lunch was poor and slow. Food had to be returned to be reheated. We only say the young girl setting the tables and had a hard time getting a waitress to serve us. No tip. Will not return.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Everything was very good. Rooms are in a state of 'renewal' and should be completed in a short period of time. A real makeover is in the works, and long overdue.
Ambiance, food and hospitality were just great. Staff are second to none and very accommodating to one's needs.
We will be back!!!!

Room Tip: My room was quite, and yet need of new bathroom makeover soon......otherwise it is not useable, very outdated. Berooms need updating and firmer matteress. Supplied linens need to be updated. Rooms need to be 'santized' and 'freshened' inside and out.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank chefmaster12
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Just stayed at the Alpengruss in room 11 for one night. We had to pay upfront, which was strange as most hotels don't charge you until checkout. As well, the reception desk is in the restaurant, down the hill from the actual hotel, so you can't see what the hotel itself is like before you've already paid.

The room looked okay upon arrival, very quaint in terms of decor and atmosphere. It had a little wood stove which I imagine could be quite nice in the winter. The bathroom was pretty rundown and the towels were definitely not anything close to fantastic.

However, I can be quite forgiving of hotels, so this stuff was not the worst. I was not expecting Hilton-style quality or anything, but, what I *do* expect from ANY hotel is a reasonably comfortable bed. Our bed was not at all anything close to comfortable. I think I could count the number of springs that were in my back at night, and the bed did the "hotdog effect" (where everyone rolls towards the sagging centre). Neither my boyfriend nor I were able to sleep well at all that night.

Checkout was simple. We gave the key in at reception and then said goodbye. (I would like to note that they did not ask how our stay was, otherwise I may have told them that they really need to invest in better matresses...)

All in all, it could be a cute motel if they would buy new mattresses. But currently, for $120/night (tax included), I think there must be something better in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple