“overpriced”
Review of Alpengruss Motel

Alpengruss Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The sad thing about this motel is that the owners are really nice people and therestaurant where breakfast is served is goood.
The first room we were given number 1 was so bad my wife wouldnt even open our suitcase, the smell of damp was overwhelming we arrived late after a long flight and drive so couldnt do anything untill morning.
The bathroom was unuseable, dirty, rusty, falling apart and the stink from the drains was unbearable not to mention all the buggy creatures which covered the walls and bath. Everything in this room was falling apart. All this for 150 dollars a night way too overpriced, and be careful the complimentary breakfast doesnt apply to week ends.
The next morning after asking to change rooms the person said that no one else had complained which I find hard to believe, we were then given a room after the person said she would have to check as she was getting phone calls for rooms every day, yet we were alone there in the motel for several days on the first floor with balcony, this room was better and didnt smell but really does need updating especially the bathroom, we would NEVER sray at this place again.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank DavidCHCastiel

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed one night in June, we arrived late and left early so did not spend too much time there. Room 14 on the second floor; they was almost no one at the motel (although the owner told me it was his last room on the phone...) It was quiet, the bed comfortable, the sheets nice, the pillows good, private balcony surrounded by trees. The thing is , it is a bit run down, the door does not close between bathroom and room, the cleaning is so so, (leftover from the previous tenant in the fridge...dust under the bed...) I did not really mind those, I felt for the owners to take over such a place and renovate it, lots of work and expenses. I like that it was not pretentious and people who work there were nice. The breakfast was good and not expensive. I am just saying...I am not sure I would go back but I do not mind I went...

Room Tip: Pick the ones on the top floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ulluriat
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I came for the skiing the area has to offer. This hotel looked decent from the pictures and was very well located (Vorlage is 2 minutes away, and Edelweiss about 10). It is walking distance to a number of good restaurants stores, cafes, as well as having a on site restaurant. We had a very decent breakfast which featured home-baked bread and home made fried potatoes. The service was fast and friendly. The room was quiet, a decent size with a gas fireplace which was very cosy. There was a balcony for summer use. There was a good amount of storage for longer visits, and we had a nice flat screen tv. The bathroom, however, was a disappointment. It was beyond tired. Tiles were cracked and old, bathtub was a bit of a disgrace. We showered in it, but I would not take a bath. It had been caulked to death (probably because it had been leaking around). The paint was peeling off of the walls. I believe for the price that we had paid, this should be in much better condition. Also the king size bed mattress was sagging in the middle. We did not sleep well. Although I have stayed in worse hotels, I feel that for the money we could probably do better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anniem1304
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed in Alpengruss (Room #15) for one night after a show at the Black Sheep Inn.

Unfortunately, the room was not as nice as described to me over the phone and did not match the photos on the website. We were told we were booking a room with a king-sized bed and a fireplace, but the fireplace did not exist (There was a space heater provided). The room was very cold when we arrived. It would have been much more pleasant to arrive to a warm room, especially in the middle of February!

The room was generally run down, especially the bathroom. The water pressure was terrible, and the bathroom fixtures rusted. The water (although safe to drink) tasted awful as the overall water quality in Wakefield is poor. It would have been nice if they could have provided some bottles of water for the guests.

We could also hear everything coming from the room next to us. It was almost as if our neighbours were in the room with us. Not peaceful or relaxing at all. The curtains we shabby and let a lot of light in, so with all the noise and light we didn't get a chance to sleep-in in the morning, again, not very relaxing.

I did speak to two staff members about my concerns, and they were sympathetic. They did indicate that the Motel was undergoing renovations since the new owners took over the property. I was not able to speak to the owner directly as she was not available. I asked for a discount on the room, and they obliged - but only took $12 off the price. In total I spent $105 for the night. Hardly worth the price for the quality of the room.

I would not recommend staying at the Alpengruss, unless you can guarantee you will be staying in one of the newly renovated rooms.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jslaw
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We always stay at The Alpengruss every time we come to Wakefield. This is my second review but my first since the new owners took over the property.
Just arriving home from our one night stay, on the downside, we didn't get a chance to stay in one of the newly renovated rooms....BUT we did stay in #2 (which was given a very bad review from a previous member) & must say that the issues this member experienced have been taken care off (though some work is still need in the ceiling of the bathroom!)
We have always stayed at the Alpengruss because we've enjoyed the ambiance for the price BUT now the price has increased!?!
One can stay at The Wakefield Mill and Spa for as little as approx. $100/night more than the Alpengruss now charges. You CANNOT compare the two properties! For the price difference, the luxury of the Mill is an absolute must.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LBtravelandfood
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Just spent 3 days in the beautiful Gatineau Hills in and around Wakefield, Quebec admiring the fall foliage. Wakefield is a vibrant, picturesque town with funky restaurants that serve outstanding food (Le Hibou, Chez Eric, Kaffe 1870, and Chamberlain's Lookout come to mind). Unfortunately, our accommodation at the Alpengruss was a disgrace. The room (#2) was dirty with a ripped up floor, leaky faucet in the bathroom, stained tub, lumpy mattress, and no one came to clean once during the three days we were there. It was horrible. I have attached photos of some of the highlights. It was nothing like the quaint inn represented on their website. I make a trek to a different part of Quebec each year and Wakefield is definitely worth a visit; but do not, I repeat, do not, stay at the Alpengruss.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank offthefarm2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Spent 2 nights in room 20 and my Mom was in 15. The only good thing I can say about my stay was that is was warm and I slept with the deck door open all night and it was very quiet. Didn't hear a peep from any of the other rooms. Now for the downside. The Alpengruss has all of the "no tell motel" signs. Old, dirty, dark and dingy. I had one of my floorboards come up. Tile on bathroom floor very old and should be replaced. For the same price, I had a much better and bigger room at the Southway Inn in Ottawa. Reviews said the restaurant had good food but I found it a bit greasy and heavy. Did not have a pleasant experience at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo