“GREAT FOOD GREAT VALUE”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Reserved for Sunday lunch to make a return visit to one of my all time favourite restaurants. Greeted nicely by all of the staff who are real professionals.

Seated at a nice window table overlooking the town aperitifs were ordered and menus given. A really great and varied choice of 4 starters, 4 mains, cheese as an optional extra and 4 desserts at about 27 euros for 3 courses. The fillet of beef was at a supplement and if you were really hungry for a further supplement you could also have the fish course.

Amuse-bouche and Kir Royale went down well to get the palate working.

For starters we opted for the Nage of Langoustines which had 4 large langoustines in the nage along with julienne of celery and carrots. A beautiful dish to start the meal.

For main course we all chose Roasted Fillet of Cod sitting on a triangle of Crisp al dente Green Asparagus with Carrots and a Sweet Potato Puree. The Cod was a delicious perfectly baked portion enhanced by a Citrus Butter Sauce. Another great dish.

After the extensive Cheese board we had a selection of desserts. My own was made of two 3 inch macaroons sandwiched together with Fresh Raspberries and Mascarpone Cream and an intense Raspberry Sorbet and Lemon Verbena garnish. This was excellent.

Our wine choice was a local Sauvignon from the Coteaux de Layon at 14 euros a bottle. The wine had a gold medal and was an absolutely brilliant example of this cepage.

The people of Thouars and the surrounding area are so lucky to have this restaurant on their doorstep. My thanks to the Management and Staff who consistently work to give their guests a great dining experience with great value for money.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Delighted to be back in France again and able to visit this lovely restaurant once again.
Booked in advance for Sunday lunch knowing from experience that the french world and his wife would be there and received a lovely warm welcome from the whole team including the chef who is so slim he can't possibly eat here himself.
The well oiled machine escorted us to our table , took our order for an aperitif and left us to digest the menu while tucking into a well made tapenade.
Sunday menu consists of 5 starters, 5 main courses, the cheese board and a choice of 3 desserts. There is a set price for the menu but more expensive dishes have a supplement and it is possible to have both a fish and meat course.
We opted for Scallops with a cidre emulsion whizzed up with toasted hazelnuts and a chervil garnish. Perfectly cooked Scallops with a heavenly sauce designed to be consumed to the last drop with crisp french bread.
For mains a tasty Fillet of Dorade served skin side up on a small bed of buttery mash and surrounded by an assortment of vegetables (carrots, peas and mushrooms) and a sharp clean butter sauce. As an additional accompaniment we had a thin slice of andouilette from Brittany - my first taste of this lovely smokey typically french sausage, and I really enjoyed the taste. You couldn't get a better cooked piece of fish anywhere else.
An extensive selection of cheeses was then followed by a Pear Clafoutis. I was expecting a slice from a large clafoutis but was surprised to be presented with a perfectly poached whole williams pear fanned out vertically in a small gratin dish and surrounded by a beautifully made clafoutis with a red currant garnish.
The wine list here is extensive and well chosen to suit all palates and pockets. For 23 euros we had a Pouilly Fume which at restaurant prices was exceptional value for money.
I admit to bias in that this restaurant is close to my french home and I have been coming here for over 20 years. I have never been disappointed.
My thanks to everyone at Hotellerie de St Jean who work so hard to delight their customers.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Good choice of food and menu du jour. Reasonably priced. Excellent service. Very nice setting. Private parking in front of hotel.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I am biased in that this Logis de France is one of my favourite places to eat and is close to my french home. Booked in for Sunday lunch and as usual my voice was recognised by the person taking my reservation -this only happens at one other place in the UK.

Arrived midday and we were warmly welcomed by all of the staff. Nice window table with menus and wine list and aperitif ordered. My wife's alergy to tomatoes was remembered and the amuse bouche changed to allow for this.

Ordered from the set menu - a delicious Crab Chartreuse as starter with pickled tagliatelle of cucumber and a saffron cream. Main course of baked cod was on a tomato tartare and so we were offered an alternative of Maigre - similar to Sea Bass - with a Beurre Blanc - neatly accompanied with an olive oil mash assorted varieties of carrots and a few peas. Magnificent escalope of white fish and the sauce worthy of the french bread to clear the plate. Dessert - a feshly baked Mirabelle Tart with a Butterscotch sauce and Vanilla Icecream. Wine a really good Pouilly Fume.

Menu is well organised with supplements for more expensive dishes like Fillet Steak and even though the kitchen was under a lot of pressure for Sunday Lunch service is very rapid from this top team.

This restaurant is a favourite with the locals and exceptional value for money.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

The sort of food that you would get in a good restaurant in London.

At about a third of the price.

Nothing else to say, really!

We had foie gras served in two different ways - pan-fried and mi-cuit, followed by duck cooked 3 different ways. Could hardly manage the dessert!

Becautiful food, well presented in a charming restaurant.

6  Thank Turista-Inglesa