“Nearly very good”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Market Drayton
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“Nearly very good”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at the Tern Hill during a recent business trip and had two business colleagues join me for dinner. The hotel is run by a group of young friendly staff which is fine but a little surprising that there is no general manager of proprietor in sight.
My room was very comfortable and more interesting than the standard big international chain hotel bedroom. It was clean and warm - too warm but turning the radiator off and opening the window sorted that. During the night there seemed to be a fan running on the roof of the adjoining building which might have been irritating except I was so tired and I slept well.
Dinner was served quickly and by friendly staff. The menu was limited in choice and not very exciting - more good pub grub than country hotel in quality. The pate starter was straight out of a supermarket packet with cold soggy toast, the soup (leek and potato) was hardly high dining. As for the mains - roast lamb was tender with good crunchy veg, excellent fish and chips and moderately good burger. This was followed by the weakest coffee ever made in a cafetiere!
Breakfast next morning was very well cooked but why can't hotels have decent thick cut marmalade instead of the little portion control jars of insipid jelly. A good selection of fresh fruit would have been welcome and not difficult to arrange. I felt sorry for the pleasant young woman trying to serve breakfast as well as sorting out guests checking out.
All in all it was a pretty good experience which I would repeat. With just a little effort it would have been a great experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Dinner with friends and the place has been transformed - Staff were very polite and friendly but the missing ingredients were a "host" as there didn't appear to be any leadership or real hospitality industry professionals .

I would still highly recommend as I believe the manager or owners were away on Holiday, and please get rid of the white table cloths and calling everybody Sir, Madam - It's 2014 ! Just be yourselves and let your personalities shine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Derbyshire
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We recently held our daughters wedding at Tern Hill and had the most perfect day. From the start of the planning process to the final delivery on the day we were treated like royalty and nothing seemed too much trouble for Laura and her team. The attention to detail was first class, the food was outstanding and every guest commented on how good all the facilities were.
All the staff were friendly and really helped to make the occassion something special. This must be one of the best wedding venues in Shropshire. We can't thank Laura and all the staff at Tern Hill enough for making it the perfect wedding day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SHVH
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

poorly decorated, nowhere to sit outside, staff were sloppy and nearly dropped our food on our laps. Scruffly dressed staff for lunch, wearing shirts that didn't fit properly. Not friendly and didn't smile. The front door was closed so it wasn't welcoming! The vegetables were rotten and the food badly cooked. The drinks order was wrong, and salt and pepper not two peppers on the table would have been good.

Toliets were decorated nicely but using the same tiles in the bathroom as behind the bar is a complete no-no! I didn't stay the night so I can't comment on the rooms. I had been given a glowing report about evening events, but was shocked about the treatment in the daytime. I won't go there again, as a local, its hard to find a good place to eat, how sad. You have put alot of money into some areas, but not enough work and effort has been made!

Room Tip: didn't stay the night
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank 602kat
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

The building and environment are excellent, refurbishments are tasteful and furnishings very comfortable. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful but need a little polish - some staff training in hospitality to meet the style of accommodation offered and Tern Hill Hall will be outstanding.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve B
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We organised a family birthday party for my Mum, an evening meal and overnight stay for 20 including 7 children. Tracey and Laura offered a private room and we pre-ordered from the menu. We had pre meal drinks in the bar with a lovely log fire burning. Everything was first class, the food was excellent and reasonably priced and the staff could not have been more helpful. We had a most enjoyable evening and I would recommend the hotel most highly. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
cheshire
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

My first thoughts when searching for wedding venues was "oh no not Tern Hill " rather drab ! I wasn't aware of the new owners and refurbishment at the time. How wrong I could be!
We arrived without an appointment and nothing was too much trouble for Laura and her team ,my partner and I were taken on a tour of their new orangery, bridal suite,and dining room and I was speechless
The decor is classy, contempory , and chic and we instantly fell in love with the place.
Laura and her team are flexible and accommodating to our requests.
For me it is important to feel that you can trust someone to take care of your big day, my partner and I can not wait to spend our special day at Tern Hill Hall xx

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Weston-under-Redcastle
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to Tern Hill Hall? Share your experiences!