“Not as good as last time”
Review of Cottage Restaurant

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Not as good as last time”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We were part of a birthday party of 8 people and were seated in a nice side room. The food was good but not as special as the last tine we ate here. The service was fair but I must agree to a degree with the comments re the owner. He wasn't rude but a little offhand and distant which is not good in the restaurant trade.
Good but not special

Bucks
“Delicious food, very good service, lovely building, tasteful decor”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Our third visit to this lovely restaurant and the high standards never waver.
The quantities served are not vast, personally I think they've got it spot on. We didn't leave the table feeling overstuffed but amply satisfied.
I like it that the menu explains the ingredients of their meals so you don't make any mistakes in ordering.
I had the chicken, ham hock and tarrogan pie and my husband had slow cooked ox cheek. We both loved what we had....nothing too complex but the ingredients and the cooking were perfect.
The whole experiece is very pleasurable. We had room for puddings and didnt have any regrets there...my trio of pots allowed for a taste of three different delicious puddings...great when its so hard to choose.
We went for the table d'hote menu which I think was amazing value for the quality of food provided. Clearly it isn't bottom of the range price and we couldnt afford to eat here too often but hopefully will continue to visit for special occassions because it really is very special!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank BucksLucy
Telford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you are after pub grub or massive portions this is not the place for you. On the other hand if you want good quality food that tastes great, is prepared and presented beautifully then try the cottage restaurant. After 3 courses you should leave feeling comfortably full and very satisfied. This is my fourth visit and I have never been disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank doublechin
Telford, United Kingdom
“Hungry”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Met up with friends at a restaurant that my wife had wanted to visit for years and she mentioned every time we passed. When we eventually found the entrance to the car park and then the restaurant. The waiter was pleasant and the surroundings were second to none. Things the got worse. Whilst ordering drinks we were told that there were no beers on tap however they had traditional ale in bottles which my friend and I were delighted at. We ordered 2 courses (starter and mains) and the service was very good. I ordered mackerel parfait to start and this came in a very small glass (similar size to a shot glass) it was delicious however by the time I had got the taste for it, it had gone. For the main I had ham hock and leek pie, again very good but not enough of it. None of us usually have dessert but we were so hungry we ordered one. Still feeling hungry when we asked for the bill so very disappointed. Then to add insult to injury we noticed that a bottle of real ale was over £6.00. it would have been cheaper to order a few bottles of wine. Will not be returning

1 Thank Mr S
Ternhill_Farm_House, Manager at Cottage Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Mr S

Thank you for taking the time to post a review

If I am correct, I believe you dined with us on Wednesday 27th November 2013, as a party of 4 and ordered from our 2 Course Table d’hote Menu priced at £14.95p.p. It was myself who served you that evening.

Starters:
2x Smoked Mackerel Tartare with Melba Toast
1 x Homemade Soup with Freshly Baked Bread
1 x Garlic & Appleby’s Cheshire Cheese Mushrooms served with Garlic Herb Bread
Main Course:
3x Chicken, Ham Hock and Leek Pie served with a selection of vegetables and potatoes
1 x Wild Mushroom, Broccoli and Watercress Linguine

You also ordered
1x bottle of Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon wine @ £13.95
2x glasses of Lemonade 250ml @ £1.75 each
1x glass of Coke 250ml @ £1.75
2x bottles of Shropshire Lad 500ml @ £4.25 each (concerned that you may have been overcharged, as you stated that bottles of ale were over £6 each, I have checked your bill and the charge was definitely the correct £4.25 per 500ml bottle)
The total cost for all drinks was £27.70

One of your party also ordered an Apple Crumble served with Custard. This dessert was ordered at the beginning of the meal. As the Crumble is freshly baked to order using home-grown apples, we always suggest you order this with the starters and mains to avoid a delay between your main course and desserts. I cannot find any record on your bill of any other desserts being ordered after your main course. I do feel it a little unjust to say “None of us usually have dessert but we were so hungry we ordered one” as the only dessert that was ordered was ordered prior to eating your starters and mains.

The Smoked Mackerel Tartare is served in a Kilner Jar with Melba Toast on our bespoke wooden board. This is one of the lighter of the 4 choices available on that menu but I am sorry to hear you felt this to be inadequate.

The “Ham Hock and Leek pie” was in fact a Chicken, Ham Hock and Leek Pie. This is made with Organic Chicken and Ham Hock from local supplier ‘Maynards Farm’. With an approximate 8/9 oz. cooked weight and served with a selection of seasonal vegetables and roast potatoes. I do appreciate that customers have varying appetites and I can only apologise that you were left “feeling hungry”.

Quality of produce is of paramount importance to us as a 5 Star, 2 Rosette Restaurant with Rooms. The offer of our competitively priced Two Course Table d’hote Menu @ £14.95 is to appeal to diners who want a quality dining experience without breaking the bank. We feel we offer balanced dishes with a focus on quality over quantity, although we also offer additional side orders and desserts for those who require them, alongside our full A La Carte Menu.

We are delighted that you reported “service very good” and “surroundings second to none” but rather disappointed at your score of 3 out of 5 for service. We would welcome your comments on how we can improve the level of our service.

It concerns me that you left feeling dissatisfied. We strive to provide the best possible dining experience to all our customers. As a family run business, we genuinely value our customers feedback, whether positive or negative and would have liked the opportunity to address any dissatisfaction on the night to try and rectify any problems.

I would urge you to contact me on 01630638984 to suggest any improvements that we can make to ensure all future customers get the full enjoyment from The Cottage Restaurant.…. perhaps even encourage you to give us another try.

Kind regards

Tom Abraham
Manager
Ternhill Farm House and The Cottage Restaurant
Market Drayton
“We love this family run restaurant”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We went for a Valentines dinner and the food was outstanding, probably the best kept secret in Shropshire. Very intimate dining areas that cater for all your needs. The wine list is extensive and the locally sourced food is beautifully cooked and presented. The moment you step through the door they really make you feel welcome. We love this restaurant. You may have to book in advance as it is very popular indeed, and rightly so!

Visited February 2013