“Fair deal”

Ranked #5 of 46 Shopping in Murano
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located on the famous-for-blown-glass island of Murano, this operation produces artistic and decorative objects such as lamp posts, sculptures, and Venetian-style chandeliers.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fair deal”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I must object to those who call this visit a 'mousetrap' etc. Yes, the sales people are professionally pushing the visitors into buying some glass, but this is what they are paid to do. The exhibition is very interesting, and the delivery of the items we had purchased was impeccable. Good packing, too, not a single damaged item upon arrival.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Mikhail S

• Turkish first
Worcester, MA
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Big Temptation”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Our wonderful Hotel Igea in Venice arranged this free trip to Murano Island (there's also another island called Burano which is further away).
To be honest, I had very different expectations from Murano.
My parents were there in the late 50's when I was little and did bring me a souvenir from Murano, a tiny little glass mouse, very cute :)!
So since I was a child, I wanted to go to Murano.
I expected that we would walk around the entire island and then check out some of the glass blowers workshops.

We had a free trip on a Friday morning and they let us leave the boat (which drove extremely fast :)) at Nuova Venier Glassworks.
A very kind older man who spoke English fluently, probably the manager or maybe even the owner, did welcome us on the pier and led us inside the large hall where we could watch two glass blowers creating a vase and a horse which was quite impressive.

Then he led us into the show rooms and we admired all the glass master pieces (I liked the frosted glass).
We bought two small pieces, one was a greenish-blue/turquoise fish with some gold sprinkles and a small bunch of grapes with some frosted grapes and some blue glass grapes. Very precious and a beautiful souvenir.
The only bad thing: we had to wait more than 30 minutes for the boat ride back to Venice, but it was a mild and sunny day (10/18/13), so we enjoyed the view of the lagoon.

Last, but not the least I can highly recommend reading Daphne DuMaurier's biographical novel about her French ancestors who were glass blowers before they left France during the French revolution and went to England. It's called "The Glass Blowers" and the sequels which take place in England are: "Mary Anne", "The DuMauriers" followed by "Gerald" which describes Daphne DuMaurier's father's life as an actor and theater manager in the early 20th century in London.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Chrissie777
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great Glassworks”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We arranged a trip to this glassworks through our hotel, and a free water taxi was laid on for us, at the time we requested. We were a little apprehensive as we had heard stories of high pressure sales techniques after accepting a free ride. We need not have bothered. The visit to the factory was amazing to see the skills of the masters in action, and then to visit a huge showroom of all different styles of glass. The products are discounted compared to the shops in Central Venice, and so it is well worth buying at the factory, also to ensure that you get genuine Murano glass, rather than copies. The salesman Sandro Mattei was brilliant, and stressed that there was no obligation to buy at all. We did buy some glass at a huge discount, and Sandro even gave us some tips for good local restaurants.
Don't worry about packaging of the glass - they will ship purchases or pack them so well they will get home in one piece. Our purchases made it home safely in our suitcase, thanks to the expert packaging, and we received an additional glass piece as a gift, plus literature about the Master that made our pieces, and a certificate of authenticity.
Defeinitely well worth the trip if you are serious about wanting to buy Murano glass.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank PaulAberdeen1
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A Brilliant Experience.First Class Service.Excellent Delivery.Beautiful Craftmanship”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Nuova Venier ! A wonderful experience! We were shown around the glassworks and learnt much
about the skill of glass blowing and manufacture. On the business front Nuova Venier were brilliant. We bought a wine service and acquired 2 stunning and beautiful pieces of Art by the mercurial genius Luca Vidal. The prices were aggressively competitive and I can assure you that my wife and I are no fools. Roberto La Rosa, the general manager, could not have been more helpful and his hospitality showed great generosity. All our purchases arrived speedily and securely packed. Nuova Venier is worth seeing but If you are looking to buy glass this would be my first port of call. We will definitely be back.

Visited July 2013
Dallas, Texas
“An experience of a life time!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I stayed in Lido, Venice for few days and wanted to see in person what Murano glass is famous for. Our implacable concierge from Albergo Quattro Fontana, Massimo, recommended us the Nuova Venier factory and set an appointment with them. Nouva Venier sent a beautiful shinny wood boat to pick us up piloted by Flavio, a very affable man who made our rounded trip very pleasant. We were received by the owner Marino Laggia and his beautiful wife Valentina, who were so attentive and personal making our whole experience incredible. We and our 3 kids (all teenagers) loved watching the artisans blowing colorful glass and were able to appreciate how elaborate the complete process is, enjoying and learning so much from the experience. After looking many rooms full of wonderful pieces, we bought 4 incredible pieces of art: a mirror, a vase and 2 candelabra, so exquisite and delicate that my wife fall in love with. They shipped them directly to our home in Dallas, TX and amazing enough, the packages got home 2 days after we got home, excellent service and all impeccably protected. We have been looking for these products for almost 2 years, comparing prices everywhere. The deal, service and the quality we got from Nouva Venier is incomparable. We totally recommend them.

Visited July 2013