“beautiful place, needs improvement”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eldoret
Naiberi River Campsite & Resort
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
“beautiful place, needs improvement”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I discovered this beautiful place on 16th -18th August,the surroundings is beautiful and peaceful. Good food and very helpful staff and management who ensured we had an amazing time. A few hitches though that i believe can be looked into by the management.The staff were helpful but very slow, we had to walk over to them requesting for orders as they were busy watching TV. Second the lower campsite is ill equipped forcing campers to walk up to the closest bandas or the pool bar for amenities-water, bathrooms and cooking area. Last the cleaning should be extended to bathrooms at the pool area as that has been neglected. Overall it is a great place that is at risk of being run down if the above isn't looked into. I would however recommend anyone to the place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chebichii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 12 August 2013

After many hours of traveling from Nairobi - we were very happy to reach Naiberi. We had a group of six people and one part of our group stayed at a cottage room and the others stayed in the lodge rooms. We were all very happy with the accommodations, the food, and the friendly staff. We would love to come back in the future and spend more time there.

The setting is very nice overlooking a brook. We also appreciated the way the rooms and restaurant blended in very nicely with the wooded locale.

Room Tip: We had a cottage room and enjoyed watching the birds in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I had heard a lot of positive reviews from friends prior to my first visit to Naiberi. The disappointment started at the gate where we were asked to pay an entry fee of Kes. 200 each to access the restaurant that we would not redeem. We inquired why we were to pay and the watchman shamelessly reported to view the wood carvings, the least of our interest. After parting with 1,200 we got a table and started begging for everything, being the eve of the presidential election only two tables were occupied, but all the staff were entertaining themselves with repeats of English football on tv. After about 20 minutes of nobody attending to us, we walked to them and asked if they were open, to their utter surprise that we wanted to eat. They took our orders and we decided to work around to get a view of the entire facility. From hanging cobwebs to a dirty swimming that was full of innocent kids to rusty roofs.. We returned to the restaurant and continued with the wait for our meal. Not only was the meat overcooked and burnt, they had gotten the whole order mixed up.. we enjoyed our beers, that was good. On paying our bill, we never got back the change, we considered it compulsory tipping and left.
Naiberi is a beautiful place, if the facilities were better maintained and had a better committed staff, it would be a little heaven.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Naiberi, Manager at Naiberi River Campsite & Resort, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Limmo K,

We thank you for taking the time to write the review dated 8th August and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the below par services that you received. From your review we gather that you may have visited around late February or Early March 2013 when we accept that we had many shortfalls in service quality and maintenance having come out of a difficult period with very low occupancy due to several travel warnings. We do however accept that this should be no excuse for letting the standards slip.

We are pleased to say that in the past couple of months, we have made several changes and renovated many areas to ensure that we are able to fulfil client expectations and the more recent reviews, we feel, reflect this goal that we are now heading towards.

We sincerely hope that you can give us a chance to make amends by hosting you once again - please get in touch with us so that we can try and restore the confidence that you had when you heard the positive reviews from your friends.
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

We spent several days in Naiberi from 8th to 11th. We had a single, double and triple room. The staff was very friendly, with Maureen, Christine and of course Salim, the manager, all going out of their way to help out. This went from giving us their own cell phones to accompanying us to the bank in Eldoret.
Rooms come in 2 categories. The standard one is rather small and basic, with a separate bathroom, but not much else in the way of comfort. The Executive rooms are bigger. Hot water is always available in the rooms.
There were not many other guests during our stay: one or two Overlander trucks spent a night.
Breakfast was excellent, with fresh fruit, freshly squeezed mango juice, eggs, saucage, toast, ... We had during three days most of our meals in Naiberi, and I cannot say that we were ever disappointed in the quality of the food. It was very, very good. Maybe a mistake here or there with taking our orders, but nothing too disturbing.
The restaurant is pleasant, with a central fireplace, and several smaller charcoal-fireplaces that provide some heating during the cold months.
There is no Wifi available.
The main attraction is the beautiful grounds, the swimming pool ( pretty cold in July, though). The environs are nice, but there are not a huge number of attractions closeby. We went jogging to the dam a few kilometers further. Many local
Kalenjin practice in the area, sometimes in large groups. Altitude is more than 2200 meter, so you can spend some time here acclimatizing before climbing Mt Kenya or your next Athletics Meet.
Eldoret is about 15 km away.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Naiberi is currently the most beautiful place I have ever been to in Kenya. Maureen (receptionist) was such a good host. I'd come back just to see her again :-) I had a really good time at the pool and at the fully stocked bar. The service is very professional and I'd like to appreciate them for that.

One thing I loved was the diversified nature I experienced. I got to capture on camera more than 20 bird species in a single day. Bird lovers, this would be bird heaven.

The interior design was well thought of and well executed. It lived up to what I saw on the resort's website.

I'll definitely refer all my friends to the wonderful resort.

Room Tip: Rooms under trees are much warmer :-)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MicheltheAdventurer
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Was there in 2009 just 10 days after Bill Gates graced the resort and stayed at the room next to the one he had occupied. .everything was just excellent. .was in the honeymoon suite a few days later. .best of memories. .

The service this time round was not that great especially the restaurant. .very slow in preparation and service not forgetting to mention the waitress left out some orders made by members in our party.. gardens were

The Bill Gates room did not live upto expectations with its loose door that vibrated with the wind. .a smelly toilet and broken shower..very weathered rug and sugar dispensed in a "MOTHERS CHOICE"pickle bottle...bed and picture frames out of place..

The staff and askaris were all very pleasant and helpful..a Mr. Salim and the front office lady are reason enough to go back..a very courteous lot. .

Beautiful place..just needs to go back to its old glory...will definitely go back...

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I've never seen a place with so much potential so utterly ruined by staff attitude.

Naiberi/Overlander Camp is a large and beautiful site - it's clearly been very carefully planned and constructed to a coherent vision, with few expenses spared. It's in a valley, with the whole site sloping gently down to the river. Springs have been channeled and run throughout the site, with features like bridges and little pools everywhere. The main restaurant is large, well laid out, and could be very atmospheric, with a central fireplace, and bar, tables and soft seating areas scattered around amongst the streams. Outside, the tables and swimming pool area are similarly well finished. I can't comment on the rooms as I camped in my roof tent, but the overlander parking/camping area is thoughtfully done, with individual parking areas complete with sink and cooking hut. The shower block is also good, clean and with decent hot water. There is no wifi or Internet available, contrary to what they advertise.

Next, the staff. Of note, I visited in off season and was the only guest. The resort was heavily staffed, but only two were remotely helpful - one of the gate guards, and a friendly student doing an internship there. The girls at reception when I arrived were useless, making me wait while they finished chatting, insisting I pay upfront, then not having any change, and acting like I was unreasonable to ask for a receipt to show I had overpaid. They did not volunteer any information whatsoever about the resort. I had to ask where the toilet and showers were, where the restaurant was, when it was open, and so on - like I was prompting them. I took a stroll around the beautiful site, and noticed staff sitting around the pool, chatting and actually asleep in one case. There were no staff at the pool bar, nor did anyone attempt to help me when I tried to get a drink there. The winding corridor to the restaurant was unlit and difficult to navigate, and inside there were seven staff sitting in a corner, laughing with each other and watching a soap on the large TV. Incredibly, even walking up to them had no effect - I had to actually say excuse me and ask for a drink before one of them got up and walked behind the bar. Throughout, they made me feel like I was an inconvenience to them. I sat by the fireplace as it was cold, but after their attitudes I didn't ask them to light it, and of course they never offered. The food was pricey and average at best.

It's terrible to see a place like this, which is so beautiful and has been so carefully set up, ruined by such disinterested staff just taking the mickey. Stunning though it is, I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone with service like this. I'm going to make this review even whinier, and end by saying that it's disappointing when you order a coffee with breakfast in an upmarket lodge in Kenya, and you're given a sachet of Nescafé and a leaky thermos of hot water. I'm living out of my car and I can make a pot of real Kenyan coffee - come on, guys!

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eldoret
Boma Inn Eldoret
Poa Place Resort
Poa Place Resort
#2 of 8 in Eldoret
Naiberi River Campsite And Resort

Been to Naiberi River Campsite & Resort? Share your experiences!