“Stunning position but over priced”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sani Pass
Sani Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sani Pass
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is THE place to visit for the views and part of many of the organised day tours up Sani Pass. It was very busy over lunchtime on a public holiday weekend. The service was slow and the waiting staff seemed to lack knowledge on even what soft drinks they could offer. The prices are very high for what you get - toasted sandwiches cost R55 and were very ordinary. (dry, with little filling) My fellow travellers seemed to quite enjoy the trout on the bone for R85 and paid R25 for a beer. As the place does have to get all provisions up the pass which must be quite a logistics challenge, maybe this is acceptable. Perhaps smiling, friendly staff would help the experience and one may not notice the prices or long wait as much. Shepherds and horse trail leaders hover around outside but want to be paid for photographs which also detracts from the spot. No real alternatives as in this case position is everything.

Room Tip: Meal only, did not stay overnight.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MorphetN

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Reward yourself with one drink after having climbed up the beautiful Sani Pass. Africa's highest pub, the bar of the Lodge, will serve you a drink at the backdrop of the pass. Simply sheer beauty!
Spend the night at the Lodge if it's getting late or if you want to go hiking in the area.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Giant J
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is a place which actually deserves a 3.5/5 for my opinion. I slept two nights in the dorm (in a room with four beds but I was the only customer). I am quite surprised when I read some comments by other customers: of course it's cold, it's 2800 meters! but inside the dorm was quite warm, and the pub very nice by the fire. And of course it's a bit "overpriced", it's in the middle of nowhere so the costs of managing such a place are higher than elsewhere! Showers are clean and the staff is helpful. This is anyway the only hotel at Sani Top, but this is a good experience to stay there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LynxDa
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed two nights and our aim was to climb Tbabana Ntleyana, Southern Africa's highest peak, 3482 m.a.s.l. We really liked the lodge and the room. In terms of standard and comfort, it doesn't compare to the lodges you get in South Africa for the same price, but we found it quite justifiable due to its remoteness and how difficult it must be to run a place where local supplies are scarce and transport of supplies from outside must be demanding. Considering this, we did not find the prices outrageous.
Our chalet had good supply of warm water and good beds, and the fire was lit every afternoon and warmed the chalet until well into the night. A bit chilly mornings yes, but that's only refreshing! The little carafe of Cherry that is provided for in the room possibly is intended to help that cold-start..?
Staff is friendly and helpful, and the lodge has a friendly atmosphere allowing for a bit of chatting with other guests. The breakfast was great, and the dinner also well served its purpose.
The lodge provided our guide, who was friendly and helpful. About the hike to TN: it is not difficult, no hard climbs, but you do feel the altitude on your breath if you're not used to it! The reviews of this hike can be misleading: we'd read it was a 23 km walk, but it showed out to be 31. The last kms felt LONG but hey - we'd been at Southern Africa's highest point so what the heck!? A beer back at the bar made us forget that boring last hour very fast...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Having read the other reviews, I appreciate that the exchange rate may have me loving this place more than most, but I have to say, I booked through sani pass tours and had a wonderful trip up the pass and night at the hotel. The hut was lovely and I had hot water for both showers. The stars at night after the generator has gone off are stunning. Well worth the trip outside. I'd say you the horseback riding may not be necessary but is a cool experience. I also hired a guide for a walk to hodgeson's peak. He spoke not a word of English which was actually quite peaceful tho I'm actually not sure we made it to the peak. Still worth it to not have to stress about the path or where I was going and he certainly took me to places I'd never have wandered alone. I loved it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We arrived there in the freezing rain having walked up the pass and our expensive chalet leaked like a sieve - down the chimney, under the door and through the roof. The welcoming sherry in the room did much to offset this though:-). The food was excellent and the wine reasonable considering that this is a "must-see" for overseas visitors. Unfortunately it suffers from being located alongside a typical African border post - piles of rubbish everywhere, sheep wrapped in sacks (I kid you not) and half-tailed mice running around the poorly-tended garden, abandoned huts and shebeen type stores just outside the place. The view back into South Africa is fantastic, and if you can escape the hotel, a walk along the escarpment may make your pocket seem a little less empty......

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have been to Sani mountain lodge a few times as I am conducting research in the region. The backpackers is quite an experience - you have to take a walk outside to the adjacent building to use the toilet or the kitchen (which are in the same building..) and there are often people camping inside the kitchen when it snows outside. The stoves are gas and so a little slow and there isn't always hot water. However, the fireplace in the lounge keeps you warm in the evenings, and if you take a walk across to the Chalets you can order hot chocolate and sit next to the fire (which is also conveniently the cellphone signal spot)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Sani Stone Lodge
Sani Stone Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sani Pass
Mkomazana Mountain Cottages

Been to Sani Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!