“History and ambience with a smile”
Review of Blue Boar Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maldon
Blue Boar Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Maldon
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Blue Boar is an amazing old hotel, bar and restaurant. Visited by many famous people including actors and musicians. However it remains a homely place to have a real keg pint with a friendly smile from the staff. The decor is rustic and in keeping with the historic tone. Went on New Years Eve with my husband early in the evening and already busy with locals and visitors together. It is a classy bar as a real ale pub so if you want sky sports don't bother. We both love going to The Blue Boar and being locals enjoy the historic feel with friendly atmosphere. So recommended as a fabulous place to experience

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Blue Boar for 1 night in Dec 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We stayed in the main building in a room above the bar area. We slept perfectly in a very comfy four poster bed. You can't move without something creaking but this just adds to the overall ambience of this hotel.

Free parking available and ideally situated for shopping and bar hopping.

Breakfast is included and is a perfect way start the day.

All in all, a great place to stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beaslel
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We had heard great reviews from a friends friend, however the experience wasn't good, we arrived to an empty restaurant, to find only us 2 booked in, we were seated in the bay window like 2 ornaments it was freezing, no music or ambiance, just the sound of the microwave ping, starters was ok, I ordered the sea bass when it came up more like a child's portion the dauphinoise potatoes were burnt & a single skewer with 7 bits of vegetable singed & raw, my partner had a proper dinner with the pork belly but it was over cooked and dry.
Very disappointed our friends had a lucky escape.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick L
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Ii arrived earlier than my partner and went to reception to pick up the key. When someone eventually came I was told I cold get my own drink from the bar outside and across the courtyard and wait in the lounge . I was a little surprised but complied as I thought they were busy . The woman looked rushed off her feet .... Though not many customers in the restrurant .. I wondered why? Eventually we were seated and chose our meal . It did arrive slowly but we were grateful that they were prepared to serve us . Food was nothing remarkable but ok. We wanted wine so asked for some ... A wine list would have been nice but it seemed a bottle of any description was too much trouble . We were aske "what kind of wine ?" we replied "red" and we're bought a bottle rather grudgingly . It was just passable but it would have been nice to choose ..
The room was a bit tired and certainly not spotless but this was an old characterful hotel , we were tired and forgave..
What happened the next day was hard to forgive (please read review of 24september) We came back to the hotel and went up to our room to find a VERY LARGE notice on the door . It said something like "DO NOT ENTER THIS ROOM your property has been removed and is in reception . Go and claim it. "I did take a photo which I will post on site for it comedy value if I can find it!
Feeling like perhaps an ageing rock band had broken in and trashed the room we went downstairs and hung around reception until someone decided to come to help us . I was all ready to complain but I was so gobsmacked when we were told the problem had been sorted and they'd take our things back . ... Like this sort of thing happened everyday ... My complaints faded away in disbelief ... However we were horrified to think that our belongings including I pads and jewellery had been left at the unattended reception desk all day AND there was absolutely no apology except from
The young man who refused to let us carry anything back to our rooms. .
We had already booked a lovely little Italian restrurant in maldon fit supper so we did get some decent wine and service .
We left the note in our door and it was still there when we left . Goodness knows what the other guests thought!
But then we were ignorant travellers it seems ...
I'd advise against a weekend stay here unless you want to experience Fawlty Towers at its best !

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Allypall
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I took a friend here for lunch today, not having been here myself, and we are both very glad I suggested it. Our food was lovely, we both chose the same main which we very much enjoyed. The service was fine and the atmosphere nice and relaxed. All in all a lovely little find. Will definitely be going back.

As we didn't stay in the hotel I can't comment but we liked what we saw.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The other evening a group of 13 of us had a family meal after the funeral of an elderly member of the family. Having lived in the area for 50+ years I had the impression that the Blue Boar was a very exclusive hotel and restaurant but never having been there, I was really looking forward to it. This is a very interesting building with immense character and I loved studying the features of the woodwork, the paintings and collections in the rooms. However, I was extremely disappointed with the service that we received in the restaurant. We were accosted in the bar across the yard by a lady who I thought was a guest who asked if we were going across to eat and it appeared that she was our waitress and as it turned out, our only waitress and I guessed that there was only one chef from her comments. Throughout the service she continually swore and it was very evident that she could not cope on her own. The food was reasonable apart from the soup, which was inedible, but that was our taste. The waitress was not suitably dressed, the service was so slow that at times we thought that she had forgotten some things, by the time the last person was served, the first person had finished, there was not enough of one selection (chicken) despite us being the only guests in the dining room and had booked. She got the desserts wrong and one person did not get a dessert, the apple and blackcurrent pie was actually crumble, we were not offered a wine list, or indeed any drinks and had to walk outside to the bar to get our own drinks, we were not asked at any time if everything was OK and more importantly, there was no custard. This was not a professionally run establishment at all and I definitely would not go there for a meal again or recommend it to anyone. The pub/bar though was excellent. Good beer and drinks and excellent service from the friendly bar staff. I would recommend this.

Room Tip: The bar is excellent but go somewhere else to eat
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony B
Reviewed 22 November 2013

First impressions - Historic, quirky and probably a ghost hunters dream. Lots of old paintings and furniture. It was like a prop room for the Antiques roadshow. I kinda liked it.

We were met at reception by a grey haired chap in glasses who complained that he was on alone and was running from reception to the pub and back. After a 4 hour drive, I struggled to feel any apathy and really a smile and a welcome would have been nice. Franken Furter in the Rocky Horror Show was more welcoming.

We put our stuff in the mediocre and very cold rooms and met back at the bar, my colleague was sitting with a local ale when I walked into to the bar which was a Taxidermists paradise with stuffed animals adorning each wall as well as an Anaconda skin. I didn't know they existed in Malden. Every day is a school day.

I went to the bar and asked for a pint of Cider to be met with "wot?" By the man from reception.

I'm Scottish you see, although easily understood by all my work colleagues in England including my Cockney colleague, I appeared to make no sense to this chap.

"A Pint Of Cider Please"

"Eh?"

I asked a third time, only for him to look at the punters and for them to translate for me. I was highly embarrassed by the situation and actually wanted to leave. I found his attitude well below my expectations.

We dined out for the evening, concerned that if this chap had been the waiter, it would have taken me 4 hours to get my order across.

On our return to our respective rooms, they were initially warm, but the heating went off around 2300hrs and never did it come back on for the morning.

Breakfast - we were "made" to sit at a long table designed for about 10 people. With me and my colleague told to sit in the middle of two opposing groups. It was like a weird Butlins type situation with nine grown men sitting together, unintroduced and unable to talk privately.

In fact, it was an absolute disgrace.

We ordered breakfast, cooked to order which doesn't help a businessman in a hurry, and once we had picked up some clean cutlery which in itself wasn't easy, we were subject to a plateful of food which was passable, but not worth the wait.

The chap at reception in the morning was a new fellow and was highly pleasant, so if you read this, then thank you for being kind. That was a new one on us.

We both agreed we would not be returning here and have let people who travel with our company to consider this also.

I would finish with a suggestion that a duster and some polish would be a most welcome addition to the facility, particularly in the nooks and crannies in the bedroom.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ColinJackie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maldon
The Limes
Hanson House
Hanson House
#1 of 1 in Heybridge
Waterside Holiday Park - Park Resorts

Been to Blue Boar Hotel? Share your experiences!