“Excellent Little Place”

The Pig at Maldon
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Secret Garden is situated in the picturesque town of Maldon. The restaurant offers unpretentious British cuisine in a relaxed setting.We serve fresh, simple, honest food - the food we want to eat - fantastic local fish, shellfish and game in season, delicious meat and vegetarian dishes, gorgeous puddings and a well-chosen wine list. Bookings for dinner and Sunday lunch is strongly recommended. 38-Seater fully licensed restaurant
Reviewed 1 April 2016

We were visiting family over the Easter Weekend and came all the way from Bolton. On the Tuesday we decided to try The Secret Garden for a spot of breakfast before our long drive home. Myself and my husband both had the full English and were amazed at the quality. It was not at all greasy like some places we have visited and everything was cooked just to perfection. The toast was really thickly cut and just right. A credit to the chef on an amazing breakfast. It wasn't to busy at the time we were there and the staff were all lovely. Very smiley, attentive yet remaining unobtrusive. This is definitely a gorgeous little gem of a restaurant and will be visiting here next time we are down in Essex. Keep up all the good work guys.

1  Thank Jacqueline S

Reviewed 26 March 2016

In my opinion this restaurant would be the last place I would eat in maldon. The food we were served was inconsistent, we ordered the same dish and both were different! One was completely indelible and the staff were too busy having a chat to help. Seems to be the place to go if you are under the delusion that it's a really good restaurant. I was hugely dismayed and won't be visiting again.

nicola c, Owner at The Pig at Maldon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2016

I assume you are the husband/friend of the reviewer below. If this is the case then please see her reply.

If this is not the case then please contact me at the restaurant.

Kind regards
Nicola

Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

We visited last night with a group to celebrate a friends birthday. On entering the smell was dreadful, a couple of people from our party had to walk out before plucking up the courage to come back in, we were told it was the camembert. Starters were ok 'ish, nothing to rave over but edible. Four of us ordered the T bone steak, they were truly dreadful. My husband had asked for medium rare, one part if it hadn't seen any heat, it was raw. Someone else asked for medium-well done and it was still pink in the middle. They were tough, cold, inedible. The sauce was from a packet. The chunky chips were lovely!! All four were sent back, no apologies from the staff were made. We were a large party and everyone had a complaint/moan about the standard of the food. It was a truly dreadful eating experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone to eat here. Don't waste your money. Luckily because of the company we had a lovely sociable evening for our friends birthday, no thanks to the secret garden.....

4  Thank tabitha10
nicola c, Owner at The Pig at Maldon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2016

Gosh don't you just hate keyboard warriors? Were you bullied at school perhaps? Yawn. Ok, I'll try to be professional and answer your "review" pointing out all the errors in it. You entered the restaurant and declared it "smelt of dead rats" - what a charmer. Clearly you are not a foodie or you would know that camembert does have a distinctive smell, not often described in such a way though! You embarrassed yourself and the other members of your party with your foul, abusive language towards my staff - one, a young girl of just 18. You managed to all eat the "dreadful" steaks before the tirade of abuse began, bullying our Manager - who has dealt with far bigger and better people than you - into giving you the steaks for free. Hmm, no mention of that in review? Sauce is not from a packet, but as I have pointed out already, you clearly know nothing about food. NOBODY apart from you and your three companions had any issue with the food. In fact, the rest of your party, went out of their way to say how happy they were with everything (including others that had T-bone steak). They also appeared mortified by your behaviour and did their best to ignore you.

My staff are hard working, enthusiastic, kind and charming people. They constantly strive to ensure that our restaurant delivers top class food and excellence service. You should feel thoroughly ashamed of your behaviour. Standing at the bar shouting this is s***, this is s*** over and over again. I am glad you don't want to return as we can do without this kind of customer and I will not stand for my staff being treated in such a way. Disgusting.

Reviewed 25 February 2016

A thoroughly enjoyable lunch with excellent food, clearly prepared from fresh, and very good service. I certainly plan to returrn.

1  Thank Adele H
Reviewed 20 February 2016 via mobile

Had a lovely meal in lovely surroundings. The vegetable Wellington was excellent washed down with Prosecco and London Pride! Great prices too, very reasonable and all fresh food, not frozen! Great service by Connie. Give it a try; it's a gem in Maldon!