“A delicious Sunday lunch”
Review of The Pig at Maldon - CLOSED

The Pig at Maldon
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Secret Garden is situated in the picturesque town of Maldon. The restaurant offers unpretentious British cuisine in a relaxed setting.We serve fresh, simple, honest food - the food we want to eat - fantastic local fish, shellfish and game in season, delicious meat and vegetarian dishes, gorgeous puddings and a well-chosen wine list. Bookings for dinner and Sunday lunch is strongly recommended. 38-Seater fully licensed restaurant
Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

We decided not to have a starter, even though they sounded enticing, because we didn't want to spoil what we hoped would be a delicious roast dinner - and we were not disappointed!! Tender, succulent beef - beautiful fresh veg - odd-shaped Yorkshires (obviously homemade) - extra gravy - and even the horseradish sauce was made in house!! There was so much to eat that we had to struggle to fit in a dessert - but we did! We shared a wonderful sticky toffee pudding and left the restaurant feeling replete and happy.

1  Thank judith h

Reviewed 15 April 2016

We had business in Maldon and my husband chose to lunch in this restaurant where we have eaten before. We remembered it as offering "proper meals", which is why we chose it.
It was already 12.45 when we arrived but the room was empty - no one else was eating there and only two other parties arrived while we lunched. The menu offered all day breakfasts, light bites and sandwiches. My husband was disappointed.

I chose the Home-made fish finger sandwich, which was very tasty and fresh. My husband was less impressed by the fish-cakes he had. When the waitress cleared there was no mention of dessert. After a while I got up to request a dessert menu, and was told that she thought we might need a breather, although she had not asked us.

The dessert menu was on a board but with no indication of prices. I was told that this was because it was a very small board. The caramelised banana tarte tatin we chose, which came with vanilla ice-cream, was lovely.

The food was perfectly acceptable, even delicious, but we would not choose to eat here again. Just reading the aggressive tone of some of the responses to reviews on this site would make me think twice

2  Thank Shandy526
Reviewed 15 April 2016

I was warmly greeted and invited into the restaurant by staff that know how a restaurant should be run. Immediately I felt comfortable with both the surroundings and the quality of food on offer. Being unsure of what to choose for my main I asked the waitress and was overwhelmed with the knowledge of the menu and was recommended to have one of the steaks.
After eating a plentiful starter, I was amazed at the quality and perfection the steak was cooked. I chose a medium rare which can be a bit hit or miss, but in this establishment it was spot on - a credit to the chef. A good quality and substantial meal duly supported by a bottle of red which again was expertly chosen by the waitress.
Desert was too much for myself but my wife managed to indulge and topped off a lovely meal.
I couldn't recommend the Secret Garden enough. If your ever in the area, treat yourselves and you wont be disappointed.

1  Thank paulcook999
Reviewed 14 April 2016

Simple surroundings but friendly service - the food cooked by the husband was good &
homely. He knew quality and provided all six of us with a delicious experience. My
wife & I were on an 8 day visit to England - we ate out for lunch & dinner for 7 days
& rated this restaurant 2nd to the 6 Bells at Boredom, Essex.

Reviewed 1 April 2016

We were visiting family over the Easter Weekend and came all the way from Bolton. On the Tuesday we decided to try The Secret Garden for a spot of breakfast before our long drive home. Myself and my husband both had the full English and were amazed at the quality. It was not at all greasy like some places we have visited and everything was cooked just to perfection. The toast was really thickly cut and just right. A credit to the chef on an amazing breakfast. It wasn't to busy at the time we were there and the staff were all lovely. Very smiley, attentive yet remaining unobtrusive. This is definitely a gorgeous little gem of a restaurant and will be visiting here next time we are down in Essex. Keep up all the good work guys.

1  Thank Jacqueline S