“Really disappointed”

Ranked #20 of 110 Restaurants in Maldon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I visited for the first time last night with two friends. We had booked a table for 7.30 and were greeted by a very pleasant lady who took our order. We waited a while for our starters which were only ok, mine was a little cold but not too bad. We then waited an hour and ten minutes before our mains arrived, we did enquire where they were and were told politely that we had to wait our turn. Once they arrived my friends duck dinner was inedible as it was stone cold and raw. When she told the waitress she suggested that it was cooked rare - but there is a difference between rare and raw! My friend was offered a replacement meal but she felt that if she accepted she would have another hour wait. They did remove the meal from our bill, and asked how the other two meals were - and to be fair they were fine, but because our friend had nothing to eat it did put us off finishing. On the whole what could have been a lovely evening ended with my friend hungry and apologising for recommending the pub.

1  Thank Debbie W

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We often eat here. We like the friendly atmosphere and welcome every time we visit. It's well run and the service is excellent. The French chef always has something interested on the menu which is typically sourced locally.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Our first trip to restaurant back in December was great so decided to go back with friends on Saturday and very disappointed.

Husband ordered soap that looked and tasted like baby food, I had stew and dumplings that we're not cooked, and friend wanted to order custard with sticky toffee pudding instead of ice cream and told too long to make.

Whilst the restaurant was busy I appreciate kitchen was under pressure, however the waiter did not know what was on menu and offer any apology...

This is a shame as we dine out weekly and now I would not be sure if I would return.... Certainly not on Saturday night anyway

2  Thank Brenda D
Reviewed 18 March 2014

A group of 12 of us went out for a so called 'Beer Cuisine Night' where we were promised 3 courses of food each contining beer. What we was actually served was 3 courses of over priced rubbish not containing beer.

To start I had the French onion soup, which was pleasant enough, but nothing special. For my main course I ordered field mushrooms stuffed with Welsh rarebit, served with a warm potato salad. I was under the impression that Welsh rarebit was a warm, cheese sauce. What I was served was 3 normal mushrooms, a packet mix of sage and onion stuffing and some lettuce leaves. My dessert was supposed to be apple pancakes with ice cream. What I received was stone cold pancakes, chopped up brown apple and NO ice cream. With the possible exception of the soup there was no sign of any beer what so ever. Somebody else had steak and ale stew with only two bits of greasy steak. The vegetables were stone cold.

We had booked for the evening months ago for 20:30. Nobody else in the pub was ordering off that menu so my guess was that the eveing was cancelled due to lack of interest but the pub did not want to lose our custom so decided to serve up a load of rubbish. Judging by the website the chef finishes at 9pm, which explains our stone cold mains and desserts. They had the cheek to charge me £20 for this meal. I have had far better food in cheap chain pubs for far less than half the price.

I did not want to complain at the time as I was with a large group, but I contacted the pub afterwards wanting to kow where the beer was in my meal. A month later and I have had no response. I was planning to enquire about using their venue for a weekly event, but due to the terrible food and awful customer service I will be going elsewhere. Avoid at all costs.

2  Thank Jen D
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Visited The Bell on a Saturday lunch time, we did not book, and they had no problem finding us a table, but we turned up at the right time, as the pub ended up very very busy. Staff were very attentive and helpful.

The normal menu is good, but I was taken by the Special's Board, unfortunately the food did not quite live up to my expectations, and I am not a fussy person at all. I cannot say that the food was bad, just not executed as well as it could have been, which was a disappointment.

Having said that, I will return and try other dishes, as the atmosphere was great too.