“Perfect!”

The Loft
Ranked #10 of 105 Restaurants in Maldon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Loft is a modern tearoom with a vintage vibe! It is located in an Edwardian sail loft in the coastal village of Tollesbury in Essex. As well as serving freshly ground coffee and loose leaf teas, we provide freshly home cooked food such as paninis, sandwiches, soup and delicious cakes. We ensure to have at least one gluten/dairy free option. We use local ingredients wherever possible. One of the endearing features of Tollesbury is the tide that can be very high and can reach the steps of the tearoom (don't worry there is a side entrance) so you may need to check the tide time if you park your car close by!
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The loft is on my doorstep, but I'd rather go here than put the kettle on, besides they make such delicious cake, on my last visit (I have visited 3 times in the last month) I had carrot cake which also had beetroot and courgette in it, I shared a generous slice with my husband but wished we'd had a slice each as it was so tasty and so moist! They do a sandwich platter which consists of half of a very large sandwich if your choice + a pot of hummous and vegetable crudités crisps and salad + a slice of cake and all for just over £6.00. It's so pretty in there too with shabby chic decor and pretty bone china and a very interesting selection of leaf tea. The loft is definitely worth a visit but be careful of the tides when parking, one of my family got caught out!

1 Thank Motherducky

Maldon, United Kingdom
“Absolute 'Tea' Delight!”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just when I thought there were no more tea rooms to discover, my partner found this gem hidden away in Tollesbury, Essex, down by the marina. It was well worth a visit.

This charming tea rooms, that overlooks the marina, is housed in a beach hut, decorated with local artwork. With around 30 covers, the cosy tea rooms offers a wide range of loose leaf tea (8 + a daily special), coffees and a soft drinks too. Something to suit all tastes. There is a selection of sandwiches, paninis, soups and cakes too. All homemade with locally sourced ingredients.

Our afternoon tea (cough, cough we had this around 1130am) came with a choice of tea and 2 scones with Tiptree jam and clotted cream. We tried the Glamour (oolong, lightly rose infused) and Boutique Royale (a pungent, fruity number) tea varieties. The scones were light and fluffy and were polished off nicely ;)

The only criticism (if I must) is that the blog needs updating. It's clear that these chaps have been super busy and I really would encourage any tea lovers to give it a try. It's rare you find a tea rooms on your doorstep with a variety of loose leaf teas. It seems to be most cafes are 'coffee' shops these days, so this made a refreshing change.

Top tip for any visitors is to park before you reach the marina by the Scout Hut. Less than a five minute walk down the road you will find the tea rooms. If you park by the sea wall you may be surprised and caught out by the high tides.

Rest assured we will be back to sample the excellent array of cakes, especially the rhubarb and custard sponge cake! Oh and the tropical fruit cake and err.... we'll be back soon.

• Visited March 2014
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Warm and welcoming.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Traditional tearoom serving light snacks. Warm & welcoming after a winter walk on the estuary.
Choice of drink sizes, including a big mug of good coffee for £2.30.

• Visited February 2014
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Last Gasp!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Just got there before closing time and we were treated very well by the friendly staff. Was just gasping for a cup of tea and cake, tool ate for hot food but will experience that next time. A lovely little hidden gem. Very pleased.

Tiptree, England
“Best scones I've ever tasted”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had heard lovely things about The Loft and it certainly didn't disappoint.
The atmosphere was lovely, the staff are very friendly and the food was delicious. Will definitely be going back again soon

• Visited February 2014