“WoW! Staff and food at this restaurant excellent.”
Review of Laliy Restaurant & Tea Gardens - CLOSED

Laliy Restaurant & Tea Gardens
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Our party of 17 were accommodated for at very short notice at Lily's Tea Room. Staff were polite and friendly and could not do enough for us.We had chosen from the Christmas Menu (and ordered in advance) which was varied and had something for everyone and offered a variation of ingredients for a member of our party who is gluten intolerant. The food was excellent and all 17 of us were served at the same time (which can be something of a problem at some other establishments). I would not hesitate to recommend Lily's and i shall most definitely be eating here again.

Thank you again for your warm hospitality !!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Thank you for accommodating the staff and volunteers from Barnardos at short notice we could not have wished for a better evening, the food looked and tasted lovely, and the staff made us feel very welcome could not do enough for us.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My partner and myself were travelling through Maldon looking to make a
stop for some lunch.
The vintage style décor attracted us to try it out.
To find out they have a lovely courtyard in the back of the restaurant
that we could dine in. Being a nice sunny day we enjoyed sitting
outside under a massive Fig tree which provided shade while we relaxed
from our long drive.
The menu is varied so you wont be short on choice here! From
sandwiches all the way thorugh to Lasagne, Belgian waffles to name but
a few. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful and make you feel
most welcome. Very fitting with the Vintage style of the establishment.
Pricing is competitive and wouldn?t hesitate to recommend Lily's Tea
Rooms to anyone.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Welcoming & friendly were my first impression, it was very deceptive, from the outside appearing to be a small tea rooms but actually being larger inside than expected with a lovely court yard out back shaded by a magnificent fig tree. Having come in for a quaint english afternoon tea I was surprised to find not only this but an extensive menu ranging from a full english breakfast, light meals to 3 course dinners. Everything i saw going to the tables looked well presented and good to eat. Having only intended to sample the classis cream tea i was then faced with the decision on whether to then try the selection of homemade cakes or desserts and not really being a tes drinker i was pleased to see they offered a selectio of "proper" coffee that could give any coffee house a run for there money, finally i settled on the homemade cbeesecake wow! I have to go back soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

As far as tea rooms go this one is a welcoming place to stop and is well laid out with the courtyard area with its large fig tree out the back.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating on the Sunday afternoon 4 of us popped in for a quick lunch. We opted to sit in the courtyard.

The omelette was really good and had generous amounts of filling. The jacket potato was also a good size with loads of cheese on top. My southern fried chicken was a couple of fillets with a coating that I wouldn't really call "southern" and I assume by the uniform covering of coating that they are just bought in then chucked in the oven as they were just like the sort of things you can pick up at any supermarket; it was however perfectly acceptable for a place like this. The ham, egg and chips didn't have very thickly cut ham (probably bought in slices) and seemed ok although between the 4 of us we weren't sure if it was a little off or just had an unusual taste; in any event this was mentioned to the staff and we were not charged for the ham and they were very apologetic.

As a good relaxing place to visit for things like breakfast, sandwiches or afternoon tea I think it would be ideal and is really their main market. As for more substantial meals, I would suggest if they are going to offer them they should make sure the quality is Improved a little I.e. freshly/thickly cut ham and making the seasoning etc for things like chicken dishes

If scoring it as a restaurant I would be hard pushed to give it 3 but as a tea room (which is indeed what they call themselves, despite also offering things like Sunday roasts) I can see how it deserves the better score given.