“Lovely,relaxing holiday destination”

Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely,relaxing holiday destination”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have just returned back from Meedhapparu having spent two lovely relaxing weeks at the resort.
The sea plane from Male to the resort was a lot less complicated than I expected. it was well organised and we only had to wait 30mins to catch the sea plane. The experience of the sea plane was amazing, although a little bumpy at times! The view of the other islands is fantastic and the journey only lasts around 40 mins.
We stayed in a beach bungalow and it was clean and spacious. Our room number was 130 and although we were a little way back from the beach the bungalow was secluded and not too far from the restaurant and reception. It was cleaned twice daily and the daily two bottles of water came in very handy as the weather was HOT and humid.
The island really is beautiful, turquoise, clear, warm water and white velvet sand- we never got bored of sitting and relaxing at the beach...or feeding the fish and snorkeling. The reef that surrounds the island is abundant with marine life-over the two weeks we saw a reef shark, swam with a turtle and saw dolphins! I would recommend taking some shoes to wear in the water, as the coral can be quite sharp. We didn't do any if the advertised excursions, although the trip to meedu seemed very popular. We were content with relaxing by the beach and strolling around the island at a very leisurely pace! I managed to read about 6 books over the two weeks-there is a library in the main entertainment hall, with a good selection of books to choose from.
The food was good. It is a buffet service and there is a large selection to choose from. Each day of the week has a different theme, continental, Eastern, Italian etc-we particularly enjoyed the Italian night, as the lasagne was gorgeous! Be aware that breakfast is from 7:30-9:30, quite early and they do pack away at 9:30, so get there early to ensure that you get a good selection. We went AI for this holiday and would recommend this-the beer is lion beer, and is actually very nice. There are around 7 cocktails to choose from, all very nice and you can get red or white wine too.
There is entertainment put on every night in the main area, although I do think this could be more varied. The main entertainment is two singers. Cindy is fantastic and has a fabulous voice, very personable and great with the crowd-we enjoyed listening to her sing each night. There is other entertainment on offer, ie theme nights, but this is not included in the AI price.
We managed to upgrade to a water vila for one night at a cost of $500. Although this is very expensive, it was well worth it for the luxury. The water villas are amazing-your own private sun deck, with outdoor jacuzzi, huge bed and bathroom and we were greeted with a bottle of champagne and fruit basket. You have your own private butler too. The food at the restaurant here really is first class and the cocktails were amazing! I would really recommend this experience. Be aware that the water villas do get booked up very quickly and if you are wanting to book one, it is best to sort out as soon as you get to the resort (booking online is much more expensive).
This was an excellent holiday for us and we thoroughly enjoyed staying at the resort. The weather was great-it rained a lot during the night and only once in the day. We had two cloudy days,still very warm and the rest were sunny and hot. Make sure that you take lots of sunscreen-there is always a sea breeze and it is very easy to get burnt. It is good value for money and I would recommend it. There were quite a lot of children at the resort and most of the nationalities were Chinese, Russian and German.
Useful tips-the plugs are three pins, same as UK. Do take mosquito repellant, I got bitten at least 10 times! You do not need to pack towels, you get beach towels and pool towels provided. The sun beds are very hard-we used the cushions from our balcony chairs to make them more comfy and this worked well. Everything is paid for on card, so limited cash is needed (just for tips). There is no wifi in the beach bungalows, only in the main areas and this is charged.
Relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: Room 167 and 168 have immediate access to the beach. Best not to get a room that faces the sea wall...
16 Thank Marcie D
Nacho I, Manager at Adaaran Select Meedhupparu, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and we are really proud you enjoyed your holiday with us in Meedhupparu.

Thank you for the nice comments regarding the island and it's environment. Regarding the room, being in a tropical island, we consider and guest really appreciate to do the room twice a day. The underwater life in around Meedhupparu has plenty and many different fishes.

Regarding the main restaurant, thank you for the nice comments of the food and variety. As you mentioned, breakfast is during that time, since lunch is offered from 12.30 pm to 2.30 pm too.

The seaplane operation is scheduled to bring the guest as soon as possible to Meedhupparu, hence always bear in mind we are around 140 km from Male.

Thank once again for your nice comments and we are proud you selected Adaaran Select Meedhupparu for your travel destination.
Hope everything is fine for you and you are doing well.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just returned from 2 weeks here and as we were celebrating our Silver Wedding we wanted something very special.We could not have chosen a more idiliyic location,after a long journey and this was the only complaint was the wait for the sea plane we arrived in Male at 8-30 am after an overnight flight and had to wait until 12-45pm to fly to the island so in effect we lost most of the first day but this was a complaint against the sea plane company not the hotel,however when we eventually got to Meedaparu from the minute we arrived the service was excellent,the island is breathtakingly beautiful,the villa was lovely in a fabulous postion,we could not have asked for more,the food is lovely with a reasonable choice seeing as they were catering for many nationalities,we had several meals at Cafe Mass which were also very good , the lobster dinner on the beach was a very memorable occasion and definately worth the money as was the upgrade to the water villa which was the cherry on the cake at the end of the holiday.We would like to say a HUGE thank you to each and everyone of the staff who made this so very special,we will definitely be back.!

8 Thank Teresa B
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and we are really proud you enjoyed your Silver Wedding anniversary with us in Meedhupparu.

Thank you very much for your nice comments regarding the environment of the island as well as the products and services offered in the resorts. We really appreciate them and are proud you enjoyed the food and choice form the different outlets in the resort.

As you mentioned, please note, schedules are managed in coordination with the sea plane company for bring all the guest as soon as possible from Male to Meedhupparu.

Please drop us an email when you decide to return back to Meedhupparu.
Hope everything is fine for you and you are doing well.

Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This was the best holiday of my life. I was apprehensive when I read some of the bad reviews but can honestly say they can be completely ignored. I don't understand why people would criticise paradise.

We had a lovely beach bungalow in the Exotic Village just a few yards from the water. The sand was lovely, white and powdery and a beach attendant swept it regularly. We saw lots of birds and fruit bats in the trees outside our door. The sunrise bar was very close and we could sit there and enjoy the delicious cocktails whilst listening to the water lapping.

The food was excellent and there was plenty of choice. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our bungalow was cleaned and the floor swept three times a day because we couldn't avoid walking the sand in.

The bathroom facilities and outside shower were great.

The entertainers in the main bar were excellent, extremely versatile, and would sing whatever we requested.

My partner went wind surfing every day and also went swimming with the Manta Rays and he's never stopped talking about how good it was. We also went on the tour of Meedhu Island nearby and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The seaplane experience was amazing - I loved it, even though I am a nervous flyer normally - it was the highlight of the trip. (You do need earplugs though - as the other reviews have mentioned it is very noisy).

Although I didn't find any souvenirs that I wanted to buy on Meedhu or Meedhupparu there was a great selection at Male airport on the way home.

We will definitely be returning to Meedhupparu. I would recommend this lovely holiday island without any hesitation.

• Stayed February 2014
6 Thank Maggie0652
Nacho I, Manager at Adaaran Select Meedhupparu, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your experience with all our valued guest. We really appreciate your comments and are really proud you enjoyed your holiday with us.

Thank you for the nice comments regarding the environment and beauty of the island the island, as well as the product and services offered by our side. I will forward your comments to the staff.

Thank you for the nice comments regarding the excursions as well. We offer a wide range of excursions including the Water Sports activities.

Hope everything is fine for you and you are keeping fine.

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading all the reviews posted we departed feeling a little apprehensive. On arrival my husband said the smile on my face gave it all away....it was stunning.
Rooms are spotless even though every day it felt like we traipsed tonnes of sand through it, the cleaning staff swept the rooms twice a day.
I would suggest upgrading to the water villa for at least one night as it was pure luxury.
Staff were awesome, Mohammed was our server at dinner and he always got our regular drink order ready by the time we sat down. He was polite and a really nice guy.
Jason at the pool bar was funny and always made us laugh. Pool was clean and a nice place to relax. I'm not into eating meat and so was worried there wouldn't be much choice to eat but I was very wrong. Great selection...I think I must have put on 1/2 stone!
The snorkelling was great even though I hate sea it truly converted me!! I think I took 30 photos of the blue tangs as they are now my favourite fish. We did see a shark ( after dinner) which weirdly didn't freak me out and I was back in the water the next day. Loads of different fish to view and we really enjoyed the dolphin search boat trip. I only wish we had done the manta ray dive now!
All in all I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank FitzWales
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with all our valued guest and we are really proud you enjoyed your holiday with us at Meedhupparu.

Thank you for the comments regarding the quality and variety of food offered in our outlets as well as the room cleanness, which is cleaned twice a day.

We are proud you enjoyed the excursion dolphin searching, one of the plenty excursions offered in the resort and Water Sports.

Hope you are keeping fine and everything is in order for you.

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed in room 159 which was just to the right of the seawall and was very quiet and had, by far, the best bit of snorkelling - we even swam with a turtle just off the beach which was amazing. The sea was a bit rough, I think down to the time of the year, and I got terrible sea sickness when I went out on the boat for a snorkelling trip to Turtle Garden. However, it was worth it and would highly recommend a trip out to another snorkelling site.

I found the food to be either very bland or very spicy, and as I was suffering with morning sickness, I found it difficult to tolerate and couldn't enjoy any of the wonderful cocktails that were on offer. The 'mocktails' were nice but be sure to order ice with them as otherwise they are a bit on the tepid side. My husband enjoyed the food though, so I think it was possibly just my palate that struggled.

Be sure to visit the spa at least once, personally I didn't enjoy the cheaper beauty salon massage; the spa was far superior.

Look out for the fruit bats as well, particularly on the south side of the island and don't worry, they do not come anywhere near you! I also saw dolphins from the beach just off the reef so keep an eye out for them as well. If you are a keen snorkeller be sure to head out to the 'drop off zone' where the reef ends - the massive schools of fish are amazing and is worth it, its only about 20 meters off shore but make sure you swim with someone else as the currents could be a bit strong at times.

I thought the selling for the evening entertainment was a bit pushy at times - the seafood night sounded good but as I couldn't really eat shellfish I said no, but was asked quite a number of times after that again, before he got the message! But again, that wasn't really his fault.

The island itself was lovely, and clean, and the men always rake the paths every morning to clear them of fallen leaves. The room was spacious and ignore the comments about the outside shower being awful, there is the option of an indoor one if you do not fancy it. It is open air and yes, you will see ants and lizards in the shower room but arm yourself with bug repellent and you will be fine. There was little to no problem with the wildlife at the restaurant area - the waiters are very quick to clean the tablets and there is wire around to stop the crows getting in.

My only other little niggle about the holiday (apart from the food) was the heat! Coming from Scotland it was a bit of a shock to be honest and it was really too hot to sunbathe. If you are used to the heat maybe you will be fine, but if you generally do not tolerate hot places maybe this isn't for you! For that reason alone, I do not think I would visit the Maldives again, but that was the only fly in the ointment really.

I would recommend this holiday for total relaxation for a couple, who enjoy trying different foods, and who love swimming and snorkelling. Be sure to try the excursions if you do not suffer with sea sickness!

Room Tip: 159 was perfect - quiet and no seawall. Avoid the seawall if you can - it would make it very difficu...
9 Thank Gemma G
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for posting your comments on TripAdvisor and sharing your experience with all our valued customers.

Thank you for the nice comments, regarding the environment of the island and the underwater life. We really appreciate and really manage our best to keep the environment safe and as nice as possible.

Please note, due to large variety of nationalities arriving at the island, we offer our best based on our guest requirement and suggestions. Furthermore, every night, we have a theme night, like for example Italian night, Chinese night, Mediterranean night, Maldivian night, Far Eastern night and Grill night.

Maldives is a tropical country, which the yearly average temperature is between 25 and 30. Note as well, and monsoon season is nature which hotel can not manage.

Hope everything is fine for you and your are feeling fine.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here at the end of June this year and it was beautiful weather out there. We received a warm welcome once we arrived by seaplane.
Although you pay a lot for seaplane. However, I feel its worth, as you enjoy the real beauty of Maldives by getting a fab aerial view.
We were attended by guest relationship manager called Aruna, who explained us about the resort, rules, meals timings, events, restaurants etc, with refreshing welcome drinks on arrival.
Our room was ready and it was towards the southeast side, where the seaplane lands. Earlier I though, it may not be the right location. However, it turned out to be just the perfect one.
Not far from restaurants with lots of private space for us to enjoy sunbathing on the private decks. I would say Breakfast and Dinner used to be better then lunches.
Variety, quality and quantity of liquor was just perfect. In case, you miss your Breakfast or lunch or dinner, snacks were available as well.
Whenever and wherever we walked through and passed by any overseer, we were always greeted with warm smile. Pool 's awesome and so was pool bar. Refreshing drinks were available while swimming.
Enjoying sunset with drinks in hand in the pool beside the beach with your partner. What else you can ask for in the world. Simply amazing.
Apart from just being beautiful, resort really has good staff. Room cleanliness was given utter attention always. Whenever we used to come back to our room, room was always clean and nice.
Towels used to get replaced well on time.
The bungalow was spacious, the outside shower and the seating area outside overlooking the sea were both exceptional.

I am actually confused now while writing this, what to write and what can be left to write.

Trust me it is a paradise. I would definitely love to go again to Meedhupparu. It is simply the best beautiful place, I have even seen in my life.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ankitaagarwal01
Dear Guest,

Hope everything is fine for you and your are feeling fine and please drop me an email when coming back to Meedhupparu in the future.

Garvagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a 14 night stay at this resort 10-24 July. We had a lovely relaxing break and stayed in room 110 which was close to reception, main restaurant and sunset bar. The room was spotless and the young man who looked after it provided an excellent service and was very pleasant. Even the gardener was helpful getting us sun beds, cleaning them and taking them to the beach for us. We were not near the sea wall as we had requested and we were only a few yards from the waters edge. There are no umbrellas on the beach but there is plenty of shade from the trees when needed.This resort suited us perfectly as we like quiet relaxing holidays. The food in the main restaurant was very good and there was a great variety to choose from. Staff were all very pleasant and helpful. The seaplane is a great experience and the views are spectacular. The sea was clear and warm and the snorkelling was great but there were lots of fish to see close to the water's edge just by looking at the coral.

Special mention to Guest Relations Manager Amjad who was very helpful and enquirer us on a daily basis if everything was to our satisfaction. Our waiter Nausaid was also very efficient and looked after us well. In conclusion would recommend this resort. This was our second trip to the Maldives and would hope to return again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Vinnie2011
Nacho I, Manager at Adaaran Select Meedhupparu, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for posting your comments on Tripadvisor and sharing your experience with all our valued customers. We really appreciate your comments and are very proud you enjoyed your holiday with us.

Thank you for the comments regarding the environment of the islands and the house reef. Thank you as well for the nice comments of the room, which is made twice per day as well as for the variety and choice of food.
I will personally forward your regards and comments to Amjad.

Hope everything is fine for you and you are keeping fine. Please drop us an email if you decide to come back in future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meedhupparu Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,861 reviews
Furaveri Island Resort & Spa
Furaveri Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Meedhoo Island

Been to Adaaran Select Meedhupparu? Share your experiences!