“What a Birthday present!!!!”

Biyadhoo Island Resort
Aberdare, United Kingdom
“What a Birthday present!!!!”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

As you can see from the title this holiday was my birthday present, and what a present. The journey from Male Airport to the island was a fantastic 40 min speedboat ride. The island itself truly is a no news, no shoes place with no TV in the room, no WI-FI access and only the one bar and restaurant so no need to think about where to eat and drink.
The sea life is truly amazing and as this was my first attempt at snorkelling I couldn't have asked for a better start, within the first few days we had seen sting rays, eagle rays and several black tip sharks of varing sizes as well as fish in every shape size and colour you can imagine.
The rooms were spotlessly clean and the food enjoyable, you get your usual people who complain about the food and expect more, well if you want more variety I suggest you pay the extra money and go for a higher star rated resort.
The one piece of advice I would give is to take plenty of mosquito repellent and anti histamine cream/tablets as 2 of the people travelling with us were bitten daily.
There are several dining options and we had the All Inclusive which is a must as it could prove quite costly otherwise.
A truly wonderful experience which I sincerely hope to be fortunate enough to repeat.

3 Thank cgriffi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The transfer from the airport is efficient, friendly and fast - 40 minutes. The check in friendly and welcoming. The rooms are old and could do with updating but you notice this for about 5 minutes as you settle in. The food is simple but very good and served by very welcoming and friendly staff. The bar is the same.
The beach areas are generally quiet with never a shortage of sun beds. The view from the sea back to the island is beautiful as the rooms are hidden by trees.
The dive centre is well run though expensive. The house reef is a delight with 7 access points around the island.
This is a bare foot resort if you want it to be with sand pathways everywhere.
My wife and I travel a lot but both said this was one of our most relaxing and enjoyable breaks. No wonder the resort is full of repeat visitors.

4 Thank Stoneleigh
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

This was our first time to the Maldives & won't be our last - having been a member of Tripadvisor for nearly 6 years & having "top & tailed" comments/reviews for our previous holidays we were well aware of Tripadvisor negatives & positives for this island regarding location accommodation only being a 3 star etc etc we arrived by speedboat - great start - boat was very clean & staff helpful & courteous - check in quick (had asked for west side but was given east side room 2) room was actually a pleasant surprise was clean functional freshly painted although must say the bed took a bit getting used too as was rock hard - aircon very good. When we first saw the view of the beach & the bay it was JAW DROPPING! No amount of pictures/magazine pics can truly show the beauty of this Maldivian paradise. Our first day was a blur but the second day was ruined by 20 day trippers from russia(I believe from the notorious prison island) - could nt believe this was the case - upon investigation was told by KUONI rep Rachel that the contract was just finishing that day -! We explained that assurances were made prior to leaving the UK that day trippers had been stopped - this was clearly not the case - we complained & were given a BBQ dinner on the beach - another woman had mentioned this however t hadn't impacted on their holiday however their group of 12 ended up having the BBQ also (cauliflower raw/chicken over cooked corn burnt etc no lighting were we where placed - wasn't very good - however the other 12 guests seemed to be quite happy taking up the BBQ as a result of our "moaning"! I cannot fault the views of this paradise - moosa in the restaurant was very helpful & funny - Thomas the new KUONI rep was excellent & Aruni the Guest services was very helpful - entertainment mixed & low key - drinks plentiful although we did find a couple of the bar staff not exactly helpful although Anu Hassam & shine were. Sunset fishing trip is excellent & well managed - caught snapper/tilapia & barracuda - cooked by the kitchen the following day. I went on a snorkelling trip - ended up only doing half of the trip - I felt this was badly managed & unsafe(in fact Aruni advised me that KUONI had stooped offering this trip due to health & safety reasons - & the hotel is still offering it & charging 28 dollars - beggars belief! We had 20 snorkellers on my trip by the time the last snorkeller went into the water the guide was at least 500m away gone like a hare on a greyhound track! Would advise give this trip a miss - you don't see much different from the house reef anyway. Did an orientation dive with Dive Ocean -this cost 85 dollars consisted of 45 minute video some theory with the instructor & a 12m dive around the house reef - well managed & fantastic experience. So lastly I come to the subject which seemed to spilt everyone marmite style - having spoke to quite a few people including many repeaters there seemed to be groups of people who you suspected could have been fed anything because they thought the views/location etc cancelled out the poor cuisine & weren't that bothered because "there was always something you could find to eat" others thought it was good & then people like myself & my wife who thought it could have been a lot better - a lot has been said about the location & it's only 3 star & of course there will be budgetary/logistical & supply restrictions WE ALL KNOW THIS - however there should be no restrictions on maintaining standards & trying to create & come up with varied cuisine on a daily basis Iike any other executive chef & team do at the other 200 or so inhabited islands. With some simple micro-management changes the food would be more acceptable to a wider group - for example every day there were 2 curries on offer usually fish or meat & a veggie currie - but both were usually very spicy why not have one less spicy - ah but we're in this part of the world I hear the repeaters crying out! This is true but the kitchen serves up white/brown/focaccia & cheese topped rolls all of which you can get at your local tesco! What happened to some roti bread or paratha or nans or daily chappaati (were only talking flour & water!) remember we're in a part of the world famous for local breads - the plates at the desert station & also more annoying the salad station were usually piping hot! This is unacceptable & so preventable - the kitchen could serve up varied fish in abundance but tuna is the only fish on offer daily? the chefs smother the fish in sauces - give customers the choice - have the sauces separate - it's only small changes - doesn't cost much to implement but would make a huge difference - it has been mentioned about HP sauce being brought - that was ME & I shared it round to a few people who asked - I'm sure dozens of people brought their own tea bags or other little personal bits n pieces ranging from mats for sun beds or inflatable cushions or other personal items - NO BIG DEAL - if it fascinates people that much bring it yourself next time! As far a polishing or rubbing cutlery my wife does that even at home & the chefs were informed right from the start that it was not a reflection on them just a personal habit - I wish people would get the full story before posting - their moans n groans - quite ironic people moaning about people moaning. There was a lone Italian man who upon departure said to me the island was fantastic but not the food but didn't want too say anything as it would upset the "repeaters" unfortunately the English disease of put up & shut up is still very prevalent -'lastly there is a big difference between observations which hopefully result in standards being raised & moaning - the simple example being the piping hot plates for salad - if you think this is acceptable & not preventable then I would look at your standards - however if you think yes you're right & the next time the plates are cold then the customers experience is enhanced & if that means you have to moan & groan to get it - then so be it - on several occasion s we were offered several beach dinners & lobster meal on the beach - all was declined - when food is either raw over cooked over salted it isn't acceptable regardless of how much or how little you have paid - if customers don't make observations then standards will drop - I did enjoy the holiday very much - it was just frustrating that the food was so limited & repetitive for lunch/evening meal - breakfast was very good & I tended to make the most of the morning fayre on offer - to balance things slightly I would say that the Hotel staff in General do try to sort out any issues you may have & the chefs do try to keep you happy - just think the F & B Management need to look at what they are offering. Food apart - I loved the holiday - the above review is my own personal take on what was a great 2 weeks & I've tried to be as honest as I can -'I would come back - just don't know wether to bring Heinz ketchup next time or a bigger bottle of HP! Lol

3 Thank Peter H
Holbeach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This is the review of a 1st time visitor to the Maldives. Like lots of people we read lots of reviews before booking and travelling, so had a pretty good idea of what to expect upon arrival. The hotel is 3 star and we felt that it more than provided a holiday at this level of quality.

ROOM: We were in room 26 on the East side. We had emailed the hotel to request a quiet 1st floor end room, and they delivered on all counts. Granted it was a little tired, but not bad at all (3 star) and was a very decent size for the time we spent in it. The bathroom was functional and the shower was hot. The beds were very very firm, but one request to housekeeping and they added 3 duvets to the matress to create a pseudo-topper and we were fine. Fresh towels every day and the room was cleaned well twice daily. The AC was great and it was beautifully cool overnight. No issues at all with the rooms given the hotel standard and price.

We had a bad leak (flood) one night when a sink tap broke and we thought that a room move was inevitable. However, the team ran around and by the time we'd finished dinner they had mended it and cleaned the room up perfectly.

BEACH: As previous contributors have said, there are plenty of sunloungers (even at full capacity), but they haven't got mattresses, so pack a lilo or mat for comfort. We never had any trouble getting a lounger at anytime of the day and didn't feel the need to 'do the towel' thing to reserve one. The beach is as gorgeous as you could want, with a real 'bounty' island feel about it. The sea was crystal clear, warm and was a delight to swim, snorkel and dive in. We saw a multitude of fish and marine life and the drop-off was like a film set, absolutely breathtaking.

STAFF: Very very good. Genuinely nice friendly people with smiles as wide as the ocean. Special mentions to Labbi in the restaurant and all the bar staff, who were perfect.

FOOD & DRINK: We were all-inclusive and it suited us perfectly. Breakfast consisted of a choice of cereals, various fruit juices, an array of breads (sliced to toast included), pastries, fresh fruit, porridge, cooked items including beans, bacon, sausages, sauteed potatoes, mushrooms, freshly cooked omelettes and eggs (fried or scrambled), pancakes and more. A wonderful start to the day.

Lunch, as breakfast was lovely. A choice of hot and cold dishes, breads and desserts. Given the location of the island and the price paid, after 14 days (as would any restaurant visited 3 times a day for 14 days), this did get a little samey. Fish and curries are familiar themes, but with the choice of salads etc as well, it was never a problem obtaining a plateful of something to go on the hips!

The evening meal was a similar format to lunch, with amazing curries playing a major part. There was typically a lovely soup, a more western pork, beef or chicken dish and some fantastic rice, vegetables, noodles and pasta to choose from too. The desserts were great and as a non-pudding person usually, even I found the temptation too much most nights... damn those hips!!

The all-inclusive drinks were great, with a choice of cocktails, beers and spirits included. Proper canned mixers rather than fountains and bottled water are also available. The tea and coffee were great and an ideal antidote for the previous nights over-indulgence on the rum and diet coke!

The evening entertainment is very low-key. A Maldivian night, a DJ, a diving DVD night and piped music generally. Typically the guests congregated in the bar area and chatted the nights away.

So, given the limitations we knew pre-travel, ie no pool, gym and given the cost & star rating of the hotel, the holiday was a 10/10. We had a fantastic experience and met some wonderful people. The weather was stunning, we enjoyed the food and loved the 'no shoes' mentality of the place.

We didn't use the spa or mini-bar so can't comment and the day tripper problem seems to have been resolved. The check-in and check-out were incredibly well oranised and they even opened the restaurant at 5am to let us eat breakfast before our 6am speed boat transfer to Male. The free safety deposit boxes at reception was a nice touch too.

To finish, I feel that I must comment about some of the negativity we heard about the island from a (very small) minority of holiday makers. Certain folk slated the food, stating that it was 'dire' and 'inedible.' I know that we are quite laid back, but in my opinion, these comments are just untrue. We witnessed ridiculous and laughable displays of cutlery polishing, face pulling and plate cleaning with napkins. I'm not sure what the staff would have thought, but I would have been mightily offended by this. Everything was very clean and perfectly presentable for eating and it was interesting that some of the main 'moaners' seemed to have taken there own HP sauce with them. Quite why I'm not sure, but I guess the prefectly seasoned Indian Ocean cuisine wasn't quite to their usual standards.

The chefs were also more than happy to cater for 'special requests' if asked. They would cook fish, chicken and pasta etc plain with no sauces if desired. So if there's nothing you fancy, politely ask and they will do all they can to accomodate you.

Additionally, a few people were dissapointed by the food choice, the hotel amenities and the standard of the furnishings etc. Clearly everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I did find it strange that they were comparing Biyadhoo to other, more expensive islands. Most people seemed to have paid around £1,500 per person for 2 weeks, some a little more, some a little less. We had a discussion with a couple who had been to the Maldives several times and were quite critical of Biyadhoo. The preferred another island that, according to them, was circa £2,500 per person for 2 weeks. It had better food, rooms, restaurants etc etc. If you think that a typical flight to Male is around £650, then the hotel part of the bill in this comparison would be £850 for Biyadhoo and £1,850 for the other island. That's 117% more expensive, so you would be quite within your rights to expect things to be 'better' !!. That's like comparing a £8,500 car to a £18,500 car... there will be tangible differences.

If you want a truly relaxing break on a tropical island, with fantastic staff, good food and fab company, then you will love it and should book before the planned remodelling in a couple of years. If you want a 5* experience with water bungalows etc for 3* prices, then don't bother, you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: The west side is popular as the rooms will be nearer the best beaches, but the island can be walked...
8 Thank DDn2Lix
leicester
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Another great two weeks on Biyadhoo, and a good time had by all. It still manages to keep its rustic feel, not showy, not manicured and not pretending to be something it isn't. Yes, the trees are overgrown but this gives you privacy and a feeling of authenticity. The staff here are wonderful and warm, always smiling and courteous without being smarmy. We were invited to their staff party which was fun, and after three visits we now feel like part of the family. There were less fish than on previous visits but that may be seasonal and also it was fully booked which meant there was less space on the beach and lots of activity but its so easy to make friends here it all adds to the atmosphere. To the odd guest who never seems to be satisfied, I'm realising that you just cannot please some people and they will find fault regardless. This is not luxury, its not fine dining, but that lack of pretence and fancy frills are precisely what makes this island magical.
We went this time as a group of 13 and everyone felt the same...it is a great place to unwind. All inclusive makes everything so much easier, and its fantastic value. If I had to be critical, I would say there are too many sun beds which could be stacked up rather than strewn all over the beach, and the island should enforce its rules re leaving litter around and behaving properly on the coral. So sad to see corals broken from people standing on them, and glasses/bottles left on the beach for others to clear away due to laziness.
A tip, if snorkelling. Its easy to burn in the water, so take some light weight leggings to swim in. A few of our party got burnt and it took a day or two before they could snorkel again and it does become addictive. Wash your ears out afterwards as a few of us had minor ear infections and medical assistance is limited so if you can go prepared with some antibiotics it might save you hassle and pain. And if don't like hard beds, take a really flat pillow with you to prevent neck ache.
Overall, a great little island, worth every penny.

Room Tip: As said below, the rooms behind the main beach are more convenient if you want to go to and fro from...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JoLeicester
Bucks
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Other good reviews say pretty much everything so just a few top tips:

Day trippers have now stopped if you are concerned because of other reviews. Apparently contract has now ended.

Resort provides an adapter for the old 3 round pin style plugs but ours didn't work. However, kettle socket is UK square pin so take a multi-socket adapter if you need multiple chargers on the go.

Rooms above 50 are on the better side of the island for beaches. Higher numbers are at the quieter end, lower numbers are closer to the bar.

You will be bitten by mozzies and they bite during the day! Take plenty of repellent and use liberally when on beach in shade under trees. Don’t forget the bite ointment.

Do a night snorkel. Buy a dive torch on ebay for £6 and save the $12 rental charge (from the watersports centre) or $26 night snorkelling trip charge. The rental models are the same as the eBay models.

Take a lilo or camping/yoga mat for extra comfort because the sun loungers don’t have cushions

Tell them if you have allergies or really don’t like the food, they will sort something out for you. (you will struggle if you don’t like curry)

Test the western style red meat dishes before loading your plate. (beef, lamb, pork). They are nearly always cooked to death and hard as boot leather.

Take your own HP sauce and marmalade if you really can’t survive without them.

Diving is very good but expensive, over £50 per dive with boat and equipment charges.

Don’t miss Kardooma Thila dive if available, only 10 minutes from Island

Snorkel round the Island before breakfast, just over an hour plus stop and look time. There is more sealife about than during the day.

Go on the sunset fishing trip.

Stargaze! Download google sky before you go.

Spirits and wine on the all-inclusive are all drinkable, way better than equivalents in Egypt.

Good library of books in reception so no need to fill your cases if you are worried about running out.

You don't need shoes: even flip-flops are optional.

Rooms a bit too jaded and food a bit too samey to give five stars, but it was a close call. Great value, happily return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank sveltediner
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

2nd time, and still loved it.
We originally chose this as the reef was rated and it was still relatively unspoiled. It was busier this time (different time of year) but still was never an issue.
Friendly but unobtrusive staff, lots of Fish Curry (the best thing they do in my view).
Within a couple of days we lose track of what day it is, and deliberately make no attempt to access mobiles or the internet....such a break from normal life.
Got a few mosquito bites, but they got bored of biting after the first week.
Snorkeling before breakfast in a warm clear ocean....good for the soul.

Just trying to work out how to get back as soon as possible now.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biyaadhoo Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,429 reviews
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
#1 of 1 in Rannalhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,386 reviews
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Olhuveli Beach & Spa Maldives
Olhuveli Beach & Spa Maldives
#1 of 1 in Olhuveli Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,826 reviews

Been to Biyadhoo Island Resort? Share your experiences!