“Biyadon't island...” 1 of 5 bubbles

England
“Biyadon't island...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Dreadful...
As you can see, we couldn't even give some aspects of this island resort even a single star - it truly is this bad.
We were on a whistle stop tour for 4 nights at this resort and left after night 1. The room was dark and dingy, there was a smell of mustiness in the main room, and one of sewerage in the bathroom. The final straw was the damp and dirty smell coming from the pillows.
The beach (use the word loosely) is so tiny on all sides of the island that it is difficult to find anywhere you would wish to sunbathe. The beach is littered with broken plastic loungers and a general feeling of neglect.
The island away form the beach is dark and oppressing - include in this the restaurant and bar. We totally agree with comments that the vegetation needs a good haircut - in fact no forget that, just knock the place down and start again.
We understand that this place is meant to be a great diving and snorkeling resort, but surely this does not mean you need to forgo cleanliness?
The restaurant - woo! It's lit by a dingy orange light. You are allocated a table according to which room you are staying in and it seems to be fairly regimented that you can't change (please bear in mind though that we did only eat here for 1 dinner and lunch).
If you are after paradise on a budget think very carefully, this place is neither paradise nor much of a budget break in reality - it is so bad.
The only redeeming feature of this place was waving goodbye from the boat out - hallelujah!!
Please note that poor reviews in 2007 were similar to ours, we thought the island would have smartened up their act by 2010 - how wrong can you be!!!!!
This place has completely soured my view of the Maldives and I doubt if I shall ever go back to any of the islands - so bad was this trip. Manchester airport has never seemed such an appealing place to be once back home!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FredandOlive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

Biyadhoo’s not a bad little island if you are on a tight-budget and unconcerned about enjoying the kind of luxury which the Maldives is famous for.

The island is very small and the water is difficult to access from most places on the East side as there are concrete break-waters along the beach to protect the island. Whilst this is very understandable it does have the effect of making the beach on the west side of the island relatively busy and I think if we’d gone during the peak season when the hotel was at full capacity we would have been very disappointed.

The food was fairly good and the chefs obviously took pride in their work but it’s worth remembering that these guys are working on a two-star budget and therefore choice was, at times, limited. Nonetheless, we were fairly happy with the food and the service from our waiter Nasif was great. My only gripe about the restaurant was its informality which meant that people would often saunter in wearing beachwear which, in my view, undermines the occasion of eating and created a somewhat canteen like experience.

Many reviews on this site suggest that you should take a lilo as the sunbeds are very uncomfortable but I would say that this isn’t really the case at all. Instead, the sunbeds were fine but the lilos had become problematic in that people would simply discard them on the beach when they had left. A quick google search will show you that the Maldives has a real problem with waste disposal due to the geographic nature of the country and as such the travel agents advise that you help alleviate this by taking home any unwanted plastics. Therefore, seeing so many of these plastic monstrosities littered all over the island was a little disheartening. Also, people were using them to permanently reserve the best sunbeds throughout their stay which, when the island is so small, was quite irritating especially when they were only being used for a couple of hours a day.

The reef and the dive school were really good and there is a real abundance of life just a few steps from the beach so you can’t go wrong if you pack your mask and snorkel and venture out into the Ocean where you can see sharks, rays and a whole plethora of tropical fish. Other, very expensive islands, were bringing their guests to snorkel here. Brilliant. Just DON’T STAND ON THE REEF (we saw so many people do this – awful).
I don’t think we would go back here and have the feeling that you could get so much more for just a little extra money.

Nonetheless, if you’re on a budget or, just looking for a great place to go diving, then I’m sure you’d love Biyadhoo.

4 Thank Robin2008
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

I thought it would be a good idea to finish off my PADI OWD somewhere in paradise and after hours and hours and hours trawling this splendid site and umptenth other sites we opted for Biyadhoo. And paradise we got. I didnt have time looking at the slightly old bathroom interior since the outdoors was something taken out of a brochure "get your own personal paradise here". After coming back from 8 nights there i wondered how is it possible to just have spent 20mins on a sunlounger on a very tiny island? I brought 4 books - I read 20 pages.. in total... well the answer is simple:
Diving: the most wonderful staff - marco thanks for being the most brilliant instructor making diving look -- easy! And to the other instructors Hugo and Jess - thanks a million for great dives!
Reef: yep you can just snorkel around the island over and over and over and over again - just let the current take you around it - and swim in a live aquarium. You will meet and mingle with the most lovely curious colourful fish - parrot fish, bat fish, trigger fish, turtles, eagle rays etc etc. I had never really snorkelled before -- i am now spoilt for ever!
Food: wonderful
Staff: wonderful
People you meet: lovely lovely people
Rooms: the 80s is trendy and you will be in a trendy room :-)
So as you can see no time for reading - well unless you want to of course! Hopefully this place keep its laid back atmosphere and not become a 5+ star Elle Magazine place.

Mr Unicorn fish - I will miss you - how on earth can you be so interested swiming around me - all the time?
What are you waiting for?

7 Thank DougandJeanMyHeroes
Richmond on Thames, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

If you have read any of the other reviews you will know that it is a pretty basic resort with no frills - but it is fantastic value for money!

The island is a 30/40 minute speedboat ride from Male. The reef itself is great and the lagoon is very shallow (so don't wear fins swimming/walking out to the reef as you will damage the coral). Yes the accommodation is basic but it is adequate and very clean. There are no tv's in the rooms - actually there is only the one tv on the island! That one is in the Reception area (although, because of the World Cup they have set up a huge screen in the middle of the island where the staff live. This is only there for the World Cup). The Reception area has a 'library' which is huge - so you don't need to bring loads of books. The dining room is a bit dim (bad lighting) but ok and the food is not too bad . Don't expect 5 star feasts but a perfectly adequate buffet which may be a bit limited but is ok. You don't need to dress up for anything (although no cossies in restaurant) and don't bring shoes as you won't be wearing any. There is no wifi so don't bring your laptops or ipod touch. Access to the one computer only costs $5 for 30 mins - but it is a bit slow!

Nightlife is pants - pretty dire bands some nights - so if you want something a bit livelier go to a more expensive resort. I have read that it was a bit noisy - but we didn't notice it. People are very friendly and as there is only the one bar everybody tends to congregate there after dinner.

The West side of the island has the better beaches and easier access to the reef as the East side has very little beach, a working boatyard and some pretty strong currents. But it only takes about two minutes to walk from one side of the island to the other so it doesn't really matter if your room is on the East side. There are plenty of white plastic sun loungers - I don't really understand why so many people were going on about bringing inflatable lilo's as the sunbeds are fine. However, it is nice to use the lilo's for for floating around the lagoon!

There are a number of exits out onto the reef and they are easy to use and clearly signposted from the beach. The reef itself is one of the best that we've seen in the Maldives - you don't need to dive to take advantage as it is so easy to get to the house reef. As I have previously mentioned you can actually walk across the lagoon to the reef! We saw an incredible amount of fish and swam with turtles, rays and some small sharks. And, again, be careful with fins (flippers) as the coral is so shallow at some tides that it is almost inevitable that you will brush against it if you are wearing them. it's just as easy to wear some protective shoes - and they'll save you treading on old bits of coral in the lagoon. Each afternoon some small rays swim in the shallows on the beach on the West side so keep your eyes open for them - and the little reef sharks.

Make sure that you bring lots of toiletries as the shop (as in all Maldivian island shops) charges a fortune - $30 for a bottle of suntan lotion, $15 for cheap shampoo and $10 for half a dozen tampons. if you have not been to the Maldives before you need to know that the souvenirs are expensive and tacky - so I wouldn't bother. Only things that you might like to take home are sarongs $12 or t shirts - I think that they were $20. There are some other souvenirs in the airport shops - but these are rubbish as well. You would be better off doing your shopping if you are using a transit airport.

I would recommend that you pay for all inclusive as it is pretty expensive to drink out there ( $5 for a beer, $2.50 for a small bottle of water, between $8 and $12 for a cocktail - and then there is food on top of that ). If you have not booked all incl. you can pay at the island - it costs $40 plus $4 tax per person per night but your travel company might do you a deal if they know that you are aware of how much it costs when you get to the island!

There are some trips that you can do - dolphin watching, going off to snorkel at a different reef, shopping in Male, night fishing, sunset sailing but we didn't bother as we've either done them before or just couldn't find the energy to drag our bodies away from the beach.

The staff are all very nice and helpful and they really do deserve a tip at the end of your holiday. I would recommend this island for anybody on a budget - but it really isn't a place to take kids or teenagers as there is absolutely nothing for them to do. And I wouldn't recommend it for a first choice as a honeymoon destination as it really is not luxurious enough. Also, it is not just a couples island - there were a few lone divers, some same sex groups of divers, girls having a break and even a couple of families with children there.

2 Thank AnnieB01
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

We read loads of reviews before booking Biyadhoo and were slightly apprehensive about the possible room conditions-but we were pleasantly surprised.The rooms were better than we expected! Our room was on the west side, top floor in the block nearest the Bar. We had read reports about the noise from the Bar, but this didn't bother us- perhaps because we were in the Bar each evening!

We had a huge bed-7ft we thought-electric shower, tea & coffee in the room which was always replenished by the room boy.Cans of Mossie spray & fresh air spray and two adapters in the room. the room was a decent size and we were quite happy with it.

We both thought the food was great-enough choice to keep us happy and there was always a different meat or fish dish that we hadn't had on previous nights during the 14 days. I personally loved the desserts-always a choice of one hot plus 4 cold and at least 2-3 fruits. The 3 chefs were very proud of their food & were very friendly & liked to tell you what was in each dish.

The Bar was great as were the staff who worked very hard. There were various bands playing 5 nights out of 7 plus a Dive film presentation ( this was magical to watch). Sunday night should have been 'Bonfire on the Beach ' night, but unfortunately it was too windy on the 2 Sundays we were there.

As has been said many times-the reef was fantastic-all we did was snorkel & the fish were in abundance. The sea was a little choppy on the west side while we were there but very calm on the east side.

The weather was gorgeous our first week but quite showery the second week-2 solid days of rain( the bar was very busy on these days) & perhaps 3-4 part rainy/sunny days-but we still had a great time. It is the luck of the draw-we have had 3 previous Maldives holidays in May with almost wall to wall sunshine-so it hasn't put us off going at the same time of year again.

Yes-we were on THAT Titanic?/Snorkelling trip with 5 friends(Hi to you all) but everyone was okay at the end of it - we just felt sorry for the 3 guys on the boat. We went on the Cat but unfortunately didn't see the manta's-but friends went on a calmer day & were lucky & saw loads- so well worth going on a calm morning perhaps.

Biyadhoo is a very sociable island-and we met some great friends while we were there-everyone acknowledges each other at beach & bar.

The only thing we missed was the fact there wasn't a bar at the waters edge-it would have been great to relax at night right next to the ocean, but this is just a small thing.

In conclusion-we loved the island & would go back & would even chance it in May again if the price was right. To us it was a real 'no news-no shoes' island.Fantastic.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lilylincs
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

I'm writing this review a little late as we travelled to Biyadhoo in June 2009, but I can't stop thinking about it at the moment as we are currently looking for somewhere to go this year but can't quite find this island as cheaply as we found it last year! Last year we paid £599 each for a weeks full board, an amazing deal with Mark's Travel/Kuoni. As soon as I see it that cheap again I will book!!

We flew on a Sunday with Monarch. Definitely no frills but ok considering the price we paid. It is a long flight but worth every minute to get to the Maldives! Flights both ways were on time. We had a bit of a wait at Male airport on arrival, as the boat to take us to Biyadhoo was off at another island and the boat boy hadn't bought it back in time according to rep Rohan. I think we waited about an hour, but to be honest I was in awe at where I was so didn't seem too bad. The boat ride was definitely an experience!! There is the option to upgrade to seaplane if you want but the transfer time by boat is about 50 minutes so we stuck with the boat. The transfer home was fine too and we were in plenty of time for our flight.

On arrival we were greeted with cold towel and coconut drink which was nice. Rooms are then allocated. I would choose to stay on the side of the island where the large beach is, I think it's the west side. At first we were given a room on the opposite side but there wasn't any beach to walk out on to so we asked to be moved to the other side of the island. The island was pretty full so this wasn't easy for the staff but they managed to clean a room somebody had just left very quickly and within an hour we were in our room, I think it was number 50 something which we were happy with.

The rooms are pretty much what recent reviews have said. Not bang up to date but clean and we found everything worked and we were comfortable. We both slept well each night and found the beds fine. We're used to medium firm mattress at home and I think they were a little harder than that. Our air con was great. The patio chairs could definitely be better but to be honest we didn't use our patio because the beach was a few steps away. Room was cleaned every day and clean beach towels were provided which was good. You don't need to bring your own.

As to the food, I am vegetarian and I was pleasantly surprised. I found quite a good variety but I think things could get a bit repetitive into a second week. There wasn't a great deal of fish from what I remember. My boyfriend is a meat eater and he was happy with the food too. Lots of curries, rice, chips etc. I think you would still find enough to be happy if you like plainer food. There is a wide selection of breads and salad. Desserts are nice too, some of them a bit weird and wonderful! One thing we particularly liked was the omelette cooked in front of you in the morning, you can choose how much onions, tomato etc you want in it. You are allocated to a table and a waiter for the whole week. Our waiter was Mohammed and he was really friendly. He offered to go to Male to get things for us and got us 2 big bunches of bananas as a surprise! We tipped him well at the end of the holiday because he'd been so good and we'd had a really cheap holiday. I dont think they get paid much there and they work really hard.

The beach was amazing! Out of this world! When we went it was really quiet and you really felt as if you were the only ones on the beach at times! There are secluded spots of beach you can find around the island for some privacy if you like. The sunbeds were fine but unfortunately didn't have a mat on them. The sea was very calm and shallow a long way out, good for us as one of us is a non swimmer. We ventured out just far enough to see some amazing fish towards the reef and the drop off. I'm sure we would have seen better had we gone further. We saw a lot of activity in the shallows too, sting rays, baby reef sharks, interesting fish. Be warned there are jellyfish there!! I didn't actually see this, but somehow managed to get stung by one! Luckily it only got me in a small way. I had a bad allergic reaction to it but antihistamine tablets and creams took the swelling down quite quickly. The pressure on the plane home caused the swelling to come up again though, a couple of days afterwards, so make sure you take antihistamines with you and keep them with you! I don't know if I was just really unlucky, as I haven't seen other reviews mention this. It wouldn't stop me going again though, I would just keep my eye out a bit more. Reception were good and did offer to get me a free boat to a neigbouring island to see a doctor. I didn't bother though as I took antihistamines and they worked.

As to entertainment etc it is pretty low key. This didn't bother us because the whole holiday is just so relaxed and chilled. I think there was a game of cricket being organised but I'm not one for sports! Evenings are usually spent by the bar or you can go and sit by the sea, or even just take some drinks back to your room. The bar area was ok, very relaxed. We ate there one lunch time too as we missed lunch time at the buffet. There is a ping pong table there if you fancy that. The staff are all very good.

We didn't try the spa or the diving or any of the trips so I can't comment on those.

The one down side for us was the rep Rohan. I've read a lot of people on here are very happy with him so perhaps we had a bad experience. He was quite rude to us and another couple we spoke to. But we didn't see him during the week so it didn't matter. The staff on the island are so good you can go direct to them with any problems.

Overall we had an amazing holiday, and we will definitely go back. That was our first time to the Maldives. We don't even feel tempted to try the other islands after reading reviews on here. Biyadhoo seems by far the best within the budget islands. In fact I think I would rather stay here than the deluxe islands anyway as I imagine they could feel a bit sterile and cold. There is such a good atmosphere on Biyadhoo and it feels very authentic. I'm hoping Marks Travel put a last minute cheapy on this week!!

Things to take:
Lilo etc if you want them, they are expensive in the resort.
Sea shoes as the broken coral can be quite sharp
Travel adaptor (I can't quite remember, I think three pin)
Hair dryer
Don't bother with high heels
Don't take beach towels

If anybody needs any more info please ask and I will be happy to help!! Go and have a great time!! I daydream about it all the time!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunnylondon2010
London England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

Of all my contributions to Tripadviser, Biyadoo left me slightly stumped as to what I felt about it and what to say! Don’t get me wrong it’s a great island, very relaxed and friendly with house reef that is to die for, but strangely one of the things I liked about it was also something that I hated at the same time!

Biyadoo is covered by a lush green dense forest of tropical trees and other plants and bushes, all of which are maintained by the staff. Running through-out are paths that provide welcome shade as you walk around the island and gently lead you to hidden away beaches where you can relax if you don’t want to be on the main beach. All buildings on the island, including the accommodation are also hidden away by the forest so although there are almost 100 rooms you never get this impression.

I loved the forest but herein was my issue with it. Although all the rooms are within a few meters of the beach the forest was so thick you could not see it and very little sunlight got through to the rooms themselves making them dark and the need to use the lights even in the day. Every room has a patio or balcony area but you just didn’t feel like using it being permanently in the shade. I am not for 1 second suggesting they should cut the trees down, but some well thought out pruning could make a world of difference.

So what about the rest of the island?

As others have said, the rooms are basic and need some TLC but are very clean and not a bad size. There is air conditioning but ours was a bit noisy so it kept us awake as did the rock hard bed. The room staff were very accommodating turning the bed down at night and leaving clean beach towels daily. We had a problem with our shower but it was fixed very quickly. Overall apart from being dark I felt the rooms were reasonable for the price we paid.

The reception area has internet access, a TV and well stocked book swap library. The bar area was pleasant with very attentive staff, but in my opinion was too small for the number of rooms. Again a little thought could make a big difference. The restaurant is buffet style with a good choice and all of excellent quality. Again the staff are very attentive but again it was a bit dark and small changes could make a big difference. We would highly recommend the BBQ which was $20 a head extra.

Everything is very casual with no dress code so don’t bother packing anything too posh, in fact we walked around bare footed most of the week.

Mozzies (or something) are a big problem and we were both bitten despite using insect repellent. The staff “smoke” the trees almost daily, not very pleasant when they do it.

The star of the show has to be the House Reef which is the best I have come across. There are 7 passages located around the island in to this, so whether you are a diver or snorkeler you will find a rich variety of tropical fish including adult black tip sharks and Napoleon wrasse and eagle rays within a few meters of the beach.

The dive centre is run by Dive Ocean who were very professional (everyone has to do a check dive) and good fun to dive with. They run a daily program of boat dives catered to all levels of divers as well as PADI training courses. If you don’t want a guided dive you just need to tell them when and where you are diving on the house reef and you are left to it. Whatever you do you will be spoilt and start to question why the red sea is so popular. In one dive I saw more sharks (black and white tip and a leopard) than I have seen in all my red sea dives plus 3 Napoleons which I have never seen before! June is also Manta season and they were around but I missed them.

Although we did not make used of the water sport centre we heard very good reports about it, especially the catamaran trip to see dolphin and mantas. The spar was also said to be very good.

So is Biyadoo island for you ? If you want Maldivian luxury – NO, but if you want a very well priced relaxed holiday surrounded by friendly people, good food and superb snorkelling and diving that you will be talking about long after you return, book your flights today.

2 Thank Scarybird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biyaadhoo Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,398 reviews
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
#1 of 1 in Rannalhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,343 reviews
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Olhuveli Beach & Spa Maldives
Olhuveli Beach & Spa Maldives
#1 of 1 in Olhuveli Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,784 reviews

Been to Biyadhoo Island Resort? Share your experiences!