We booked this paradise island for our honeymoon staying from 28th June 2011 - I agree with all the reviews above that this island is a true gem and such a beautiful paradise!
However i felt the need to review this resort as i we were extremely disatisfied with the quality of food - we ate in the water resturant - which included a 3 course meal for lunch and dinner. The island states they pride themselves on the resort being italian run hence the food having an italian influence - serveral italians were staying at the resort - they either sent food back or didnt eat much of what was provided. Our food rarely came out hot, the service was rushed, course after course put in front of you - the staff couldnt wait to close up - lunch was an allocated 1 and a half hour slot. The food was very bland, pasta dish after pasta dish - very basic tomata / pesto sauce - this was not italian authentic cooking. Maldivian curry swimming in oil again not taste and the meat tough. The food was boring, the menu was repeated. The wine was of a very poor quality with a very poor selection. A fellow couple on honeymoon - the man became very ill requiring treatment from the doctor for sickness & diarrhoea, another gentleman began to feel ill and my husband and i had a very bad stomach upset & diarrhoea on the final day of our honeymoon which continued onto our next destination which ruined 2 days of our time in Dubai. The resort states pizza at 5pm - boring / tasteless / cheese and tomata & tuna toping - nothing else provided nothing like authentic italian pizza's. We also ate in the buffet resturant again the food was of poor quaility and repeated - if you like to pile lots of poor quality food on your plate and your not a foodie this is the place for you. Such a shame as so much could be done to provide high quality food & wine - i would give the food and wine a 2* after becoming ill. Breakfast very poor - fresh fruit maxium of 4 types of fruit / bread / croissants - not fresh. Not fresh veg and poor selaection of fruit & salad.
Cocktails mixed with cheap fruit juice - no fresh fruit being used - the bar staff again couldnt wait to finish 4 the night and pack up - we went to view some eagle rays in the water leaving our drinks at the bar on our return all our drinks had been thrown away and the bar closed!
All inclusive deal - 1 bottle of wine in the room for our 10 night stay!
Weather great for this time of year! 2 rain showers!
Room amazing however very very noisy air conditioning providing poor sleep quality!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Athuruga Island Resort is the twin island of its sister Thundufushi. The island comprises of a thick vegetation of coconut palms and surrounded by powdery beach which extends to one side of the island. The lagoon on this side is small and the superb house reef is within the swimming distance while on the other side the lagoon is very large, sandy and is ideal for paddling around. Athuruga Island resort is best described as an elegant and intimate holiday resort with a high standard of service which offers offer All Inclusive only. There are only 51 rooms, named as 46 Beach Bungalows and 05 garden Villas. Catamaran, laser boat, canoe, windsurfs offered free to guests who must be experienced & licensed for these activities. Snorkeling equipment are offered free against a deposit towards loss of damage. Free guided snorkeling on house reef daily. Free laundry service. Aerobic, stretching, water gym and dance lessons free of charge.1 sunset fishing and 1 fisherman island excursion per stay included free. Beach towels provided free. Free doctor's service and infirmary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Diamonds Athuruga reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach & Water Villas Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach And Water Villas
- Athuruga Hotel South Ari Atoll