Spent first 10 days of honeymoon in Athuruga and it is a truly beautiful island but by the end of our trip we were utlimately left disappointed. We were in Water Villa 19 and it was as all the previous reviews descibed water villas. Very large comfortable room, bed and outside decking (which was like an an extra room) also very private. Great to get up everyone morning and eat breakfast looking out on the Indian ocean. The island beaches are beautiful and the water is pristine. Unfortunately this is as good as it gets, great for 4-5 days but not much to do for any longer than that. Most disappointing of all was the food however. The snorkling was great but unless you are happy spending all day every day snorkling there is nothing else to do, bring lots of books. As I said the food was the most disapointing part, as the resort is "Italian run" I was expecting good food and at least decent wine, we got neither. In fact we both picked up food poisoning towards end of our stay and we weren't the only ones, at least two other guests we spoke also suffered similar problems. The food was both bland and of poor quality both in the water restaurant and buffet restaurant. Wine was barely drinkable, the beer seemed to me to be watered down. We ate mainly in the Water restaurant for both lunch and dinner and felt constantly under pressure by staff to eat quickly and leave particularly at dinner eventhough it was supposed to stay open until midnight. If you are prepared to put up with sub-standard food/drink and are happy to spend an entire week snorkling this is for you. If you are a bit more discerning and would a little bit more then look eslewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Athuruga Island Resort is the twin island of its sister Thundufushi. The island comprises of a thick vegetation of coconut palms and surrounded by powdery beach which extends to one side of the island. The lagoon on this side is small and the superb house reef is within the swimming distance while on the other side the lagoon is very large, sandy and is ideal for paddling around. Athuruga Island resort is best described as an elegant and intimate holiday resort with a high standard of service which offers offer All Inclusive only. There are only 51 rooms, named as 46 Beach Bungalows and 05 garden Villas. Catamaran, laser boat, canoe, windsurfs offered free to guests who must be experienced & licensed for these activities. Snorkeling equipment are offered free against a deposit towards loss of damage. Free guided snorkeling on house reef daily. Free laundry service. Aerobic, stretching, water gym and dance lessons free of charge.1 sunset fishing and 1 fisherman island excursion per stay included free. Beach towels provided free. Free doctor's service and infirmary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Diamonds Athuruga reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach And Water Villas
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach & Water Villas Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Athuruga Hotel South Ari Atoll