Having holidayed before (hree times) on Thudufushi, we were looking forward to our trip here.
Firstly, the water bungalows are superb.... beautifully constructed and furnished and compared to other islands they are not all on top of each other. Choose to stay on the ocean view side if you can otherwise you will get not only the sound of the island but also shade all day.
Staff were attentive, but scrape the surface and there is little understanding under the smiles......
The catering was a big let down..... let me explain....
If you are in the water bungalows you get to use the over water bar (not that we could get to sit down as it was full of beach guests!) and the water dining area. This would be fine if they bothered to have a varied menu, which they dont. It is marketed as food "created by" a named chef. Well he must have run out of creativity since the menu was not changed in four day blocks at lunchtime and dinner wasn't much better. Poor, considering this holiday cost us £15k !
After a few days we decided to eat at the beach resteraunt..... easy we were told... except each day we got the impression we were being a pain... probably since all the water bungalow habitees, like us, were abandining the water resteraunt due to boredom with the food! Despite being told "there's no room in the other place" there always was plenty when we pushed it. This left a poor impression.
Now let me ask you, dear reader, a simple question.......
If you are running an all inclusive holiday resort that claims to be 5* then it is to be assumed that you are capable of running a bar compitently. Is that not a fair point?
They ran out of vodka........ and didnt replace it for a week!
How can a bar run out of one of the most staple needs for a bar????
Since our previous visits the bar staff has been reduced in number when the guests have increased. This has led to a drop off in speed of service in the bar areas, which are busy places in the evening and late afternoon.
The dive school , whilst run by great people,was overrun by guests for the fortnight we were there; only one boat so places were rationed;( yes, rationed.... "you can come today but not in the morning") beware if you're coming for a dive holiday ! We made a small fuss and got on each day since that was why we were there, but others were unlucky and the boats were always very buy; 12 to 20 on average which is far too much for a dhoni.
Now, what else...?
Ah yes; finally a fundimental (and as a dive instructor something very important) When they refurbished both this island and Thudufushi they had an excelent opportunity to deal with the ineffectual effluent treatment works the islands used to have. Unfortunately the budget obviously didn't go that far; beware if you go into the water near the island and the tide is wrong as it will resemble the worst parts of the med. The number of ear infections on the island is evidence of this problem. If you plan to swim or snorkel then dose your ears with vinegar straight afterwards to avoid a nsaty outer ear infection.
The owners should be ashamed of themselves for this oversight .
So in summary; beautiful water bungalows, staff who try a lot to please but some fundemental issues.
After four visits to Athuruga/Thudu we won't be returning again, which for any business is a real shame to lose returning customers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Athuruga Island Resort is the twin island of its sister Thundufushi. The island comprises of a thick vegetation of coconut palms and surrounded by powdery beach which extends to one side of the island. The lagoon on this side is small and the superb house reef is within the swimming distance while on the other side the lagoon is very large, sandy and is ideal for paddling around. Athuruga Island resort is best described as an elegant and intimate holiday resort with a high standard of service which offers offer All Inclusive only. There are only 51 rooms, named as 46 Beach Bungalows and 05 garden Villas. Catamaran, laser boat, canoe, windsurfs offered free to guests who must be experienced & licensed for these activities. Snorkeling equipment are offered free against a deposit towards loss of damage. Free guided snorkeling on house reef daily. Free laundry service. Aerobic, stretching, water gym and dance lessons free of charge.1 sunset fishing and 1 fisherman island excursion per stay included free. Beach towels provided free. Free doctor's service and infirmary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Diamonds Athuruga reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach & Water Villas Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach And Water Villas
- Athuruga Hotel South Ari Atoll