1,106 results
All reviewswater villa restauranteagle rayslunch and dinnerlagoon sidemain restaurantour waiterfishroom boyour honeymoonsea planebuffet restaurantbreakfast deliveredother islandssmall islandmini barsoft drinksmarine life
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Arriving into Athruga, we were blown away! It's a stunning as the pictures. However, the food does not live up to the standard expected and the cocktails are shocking.

We had spent the first week of our honeymoon in Kuramathi where we were utterly spoilt with wonderful food, wine and cocktails. Coming to Athruga to stay in a water villa and eat at the a la carte restaurant was disappointing. We complained and the standard did improve but it seems they are complacent. The food was bland and we found ourselves asking for extra sauce to add flavour. They only served processed cheese and tried to use weird combinations to shoe horn the same thing into multiple meals (tempura with taziki?!) The cocktails are all cheap ingredients and syrups rather than fresh juices and coconut.

The accommodation was beautiful, if slightly tatty and it rattled a lot if it was windy in the night. They need to work to keep they're standards up eg. the towels are looking tired and when we spilt a drink on the sheets they didn't change them.

The snorkelling and diving was great but the reef is in very poor health, apparently due to the sea temperatures. This doesn't seem to have affected the wildlife, with so many fish, harmless sharks, formations of Eagle rays, a couple of resident turtles and a sting ray living in the shallows by the villas.

For the price you pay this doesn't live up to expectations, although we did have a lovely time.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Emily O
Stefano G, Manager at Diamonds Athuruga, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for leaving a thoughtful review regarding your stay at Diamonds Athuruga. Feedback from our guests allows us to continually improve the service we offer, so we consider it to be extremely valuable and important.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the picturesque nature of Athuruga. The island always leaves a breathtaking impression when arriving for the first time.

It is not our standard to serve food that does not satisfy our guests. I will therefore address your valuable comments with the relevant departments in order to verify and improve the consistency and quality of both our cuisine and our cocktails.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the beauty of our Water Villas. Our housekeeping staff changes the sheets every two days, but I must apologize if your Room Boy did not notice the stain on your bed, or your sheets would have been immediately replaced.

I am encouraged to hear your wonderful experiences around our house reef, along with the fact that you were able to witness all the beauty of our surrounding marine life. Despite rising sea temperatures creating incredibly difficult conditions for Maldivian corals, Diamonds Athuruga is still full of numerous beautiful species, which are always a wonder to observe.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to hear that overall, you had a lovely experience, and I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you back again for an improved experience.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

A fantastic honeymoon in a beach bungalow here, the quality of everything was amazing, from the food to the service offered, absolutely perfect!

Loved the variety in food at every meal, the cleaning services and helpfulness of the staff, and the wonderful location, I wouldn't believe there is a better island in the Maldives for a honeymoon. Also the laundry service was free!

Room Tip: I heard good things about a lot of rooms
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emali87
Stefano G, Manager at Diamonds Athuruga, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Diamonds Athuruga. I am delighted to hear that you were thoroughly satisfied with your stay, and it was a privilege to host you for your honeymoon.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the variety of options available at our restaurants. Our chefs prepare excellent meals based on different themes for every day of the week.
I am very happy to hear that you appreciated our laundry and cleaning services, and most importantly the helpfulness of our staff. I must agree with you that Athuruga is the most exceptional Maldivian island for honeymoons, it is truly a unique experience.
Thank you again for your wonderful review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon for another fantastic vacation!
Best regards,

Reviewed 8 September 2017

We spent 10 nights at Diamonds Athuruga - a beautiful tiny Island with Italian flair. We were welcomed warmly by Stefano (GM) and his team. The entire staff is friendly, welcoming and we felt so special all around, even though you are left to your own devices. Excellent foods and service. Clean bungalows (we stayed in the beach bungalows). Snorkeling around the Island is excellent, See turtle, spotted eagle rays, nurse sharks, abundance of beautiful fish. Whale shark -, Manta Ray-, and snorkelling excursions a must! We can recommend this Island to anyone seeking tranquility and a Paradise!

Room Tip: All beach bungalows are approximately the same, no particular fancy
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hellaf
Stefano G, Manager at Diamonds Athuruga, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your thoughtful review on your time at Diamonds Athuruga. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

All the members of our staff are motivated and committed to provide our guests with an exceptional and unique experience. As you say, we overlook nothing in order to make you feel “special all around”.

I am glad that you enjoyed the cuisine on the island, and that you had the opportunity to experience the life below the water. Our many fish swimming happily among the corals are a beautiful and memorable sight to see. Furthermore, I am very happy to hear you took advantage of a host of excursions that you offer. The peacefulness of swimming around a Whale Shark, so large and yet always so calm, is a moment that leaves a lasting impression.

Thank you again for your heartfelt review. We are looking forward to welcoming you back for more tranquility on our “little Paradise”!

Reviewed 30 August 2017

We stayed her for 5 nights for our honeymoon after travelling around Sri Lanka for 10 days. We stayed in a beach bungalow which was beautiful and fab for walking straight into the sea. The food is lovely with lots of fresh food stations and the staff are wonderful. We had a private dinner on the beach which was delicious, as well as the Tepanyaki lunch which was also very tasty. Snorkelling gear is free to use and the sea life around the island is amazing. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Stefano G, Manager at Diamonds Athuruga, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for leaving your toughtful review on Diamonds Athuruga. I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. It was truly a pleasure to have hosted you for your honeymoon.

I agree there is something remarkable about stepping outside of your Beach Bungalow room, only to step onto our pearly-white beaches. Heaven just outside your doorstep!
I am delighted you enjoyed the cuisine on the island, along with the snorkeling just off of it. The marine life is a spectacle that amazes me even to this day.

Thank you again for your wonderful review, and we are excited to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Small compact island. Water bungalow the best ever. Spacious inside and out. Room service, first class. Breakfast on veranda a must. The snorkelling was one of the best areas we found. Plenty of colourful fish and corals. Would I go again? You bet!

Stayed: November 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review on Diamonds Athuruga. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I am delighted you enjoyed our Watervillas, and that you appreciated our Room service. Experiencing the Maldives over water is a unique experience that everyone should try, and I am pleased you not only experienced it, but found it very much to your liking.

Thank you again for your wonderful review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon for some more snorkeling amongst our colorful fish and corals.