“Excellent resort”
Review of COMO Cocoa Island

COMO Cocoa Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cocoa Island
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed in Cocoa for the third time and, as always, it was a wonderful experience!
the island is fantastic, with a clear and warm sea and the best lagoon in Maldives.
The room also is very nice and the staff professional and helpful

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank vale68Milan
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear vale68Milan

Your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island very soon!

Laurent Sola

Write a ReviewReviews (1,364)

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We had a wonderful 10 days on Cocoa Island just before Christmas. Having stayed at Baros and having pored over Trip Adviser and the island's website in advance, we went with very high expectations - Cocoa Island didn't just meet those expectations but exceeded them. The staff are all excellent and go out of their way to help you make the most of your stay. We'd particularly like to thank Ahmed who arranged some medication for my husband who'd unfortunately left one of his regular tablets at home; a supply of tablets was sourced in less than 24 hours and for free. We also appreciated the way that Laurent, the manager, made a point of introducing himself on our first night, checking that we were okay throughout our stay, and also chatting to us on our last night. In addition to everything that other reviwers have noted, what really stood out for us was the food. From the dosas at breakfast, to the sushi and satay at lunch, through to the varied evening meals every aspect of the food was superb. We'd very much recomment the Thali and Thai nights - food at the latter is equivalent to the the Michelin-starred Nahm restaurant in London (also part of the Como group). We had a wonderful time and look forward to returning.

5  Thank ALWM20
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear ALWM20

Greetings and Happy New Year from sunny Cocoa!
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Your praise and recognitions goes a long way and our team is thrilled to hear such postive feedbacks.
I am ever so glad you have enjoyed everything our beautiful island has to offer and particularly Tim’s cooking!
I surely hope I will have the chance to welcoming you back on Cocoa this year and remain at your disposal anytime until then.

Warm regards

Reviewed 7 January 2013

This resort is consistently rated the best in the Maldives and for good reason. It is understated luxury without any of the excesses some other resorts may have. There are no gold plated bath taps, C list celebrities, not than one would recognise them, or Premiership footballers and their families.

I first visited the Maldives 25 years ago when hot or fresh water for washing was unknown but they were perfect.
Things have changed multi nationals have moved in mass market tourism from Europe, China and Russia has arrived, but some islands still retain the essence of what the Maldives was. This is the best.

The Positives:
It is small,
It does not have an underwater or any nightclub,
The diving and the enthusiasm and commitment of the dive professionals was exceptional, but they were over bureaucratic.
Food was out of this world, the chef who was Australian and young would be knocking at the door for a Michelin star if he was in London,
Apparently it has an amazing Spa, but I cannot talk From experience,
The price of the wine was not extortionate which is a bonus in the Maldives.

The negatives:
Some of the rooms were rather tired. No outside showers
The hotel manager waited until the last day to introduce himself, given the size of the hotel this was disappointing, compared to the food and beverage manager who was magnificent from the outset.
Really annoyingly I was shocked when we checked out to find that although we were there as a couple, when calculating the charges for our scuba diving which were in the region of £1000.00 we were treated as 2 individuals so as not to qualify for reduced rates for a larger number of dives. It was only about £60 but the principle still upsets me.

Comparisons
In recent years we have been to Laamu, Soneva Gilli (now renamed) and Sonevafushi. All were good but even with the faults I would opt for Cocoa every time

P

Room Tip: Go for More than a basic room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MarkHilton
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear MarkHilton
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!

I hope this finds you well and enjoying a great start of the New Year.
Allow me to thank you for posting your comments which I have shared with our team.

I first of all would like to apologize for not having met you at the early stage of your vacations and I have taken good note of all your comments.
Our dive prices are individually based and are not transferable. Saying so, I am sorry for the inconvenience you may have faced upon check out as we could have shown a higher level of flexibility based on your repeat dives with us.
I surely hope this will have not mar too much your impression of our resort and surely look forward to welcoming you back on Cocoa Island very soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Everything about Cocoa Island was perfect - extremely helpful and courteous staff, fantatsically appointed villas, great food and a perfect mix of relaxation and activities to suit your mood. One of the things that sets this place apart is that it has only 33 over-water rooms for the island, so you get just the right amount of seclusion and peace and quiet, not just in your room, but anywhere on the island. There is a lovely sand-bank which extends into the sea lending itself to delightful walks, and we never encountered anyone else there, we practically felt like the island had just us there even though they were completely full! The only time we met others was over meals. There is one restaurant only, but for a 7 day stay, we had no issues at all with food, despite my being a vegetarian. Plus the chef was happy to cook anything I asked for on different evenings. We didn't go on the full or half board though, we just wouldn't eat enough each meal (3 courses with large portions) to justify that, plus drinks aren't included so it didn't make sense. You can go snorkeling right from your own rooms, and the blue water and the white sand was picture perfect. There is yoga everyday for those interested, a great spa, a dvd library, a hydrotherapy pool and a fully equipped diving centre....Loved every minute of our stay!

Room Tip: The One-bedroom villa is superbly luxurious, I would choose it for a special occasion, but the other...
3  Thank Katyayini
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear Katyayini

Greetings from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe and relaxing trip back home.

I cannot start to thank you enough for the wonderful review you have just written.

I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island and surely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you back here sometime soon.
All your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como very soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We have just returned from a 2nd trip to Cocoa Island. This hotel is first class in every way. The rooms are divine,food / service excellent and the staff in every department are a delight to deal with. We had a great family Christmas vacation on this magical Atol.I was travelling with 2 boys age 9 and 8 and the hotel was very accomodating.The hotel is only 40 minutes by speed boat from the airport which is a huge plus. The diving and marine life is unrivalled anywhere in the world.Guests have travelled from far and wide and reported the dive centre and sea life to be of outstanding quality. The hotel also organised a fun outdoor movie for my kids and a campfire night with songs and smores all new this year and well thought out. The adults could drink wine and gaze at the stars with the honeymooners who were unaware of the children that had to come to the atol for Christmas.The hotel does a good job of managing everybody in a subtle way. The hotel has 1 restaurant - the food and bev manager Chris can cope extremely well however demanding guests are like myself who are fussy eaters.The menu is varied and thoughful everyday and one does not get bored of the 1 restaurant. Seafood bbq nights,Indian nights and Christmas buffets are to mention but a few nights with a live band for Christmas eve and day night under the stars with Santa Claus and his reindeer.
The dive school manager Jon and his staff Lina & Abbo were fantastic with both my kids and husband as were the fishing crew,cleaning staff and front of house staff. Nothing is too much trouble for anyone working on this island. The hotel has a new manager Laurent who has a different manner to Felix but equally as helpful and welcoming.We will hopefully return again as this hotel has such a simple formula. 5star luxury in a low key very relaxed manner which really enabled us to switch off from our hectic lives read books,dive,play scrabble and most importantly recharge our batteries .
Thank you to all the staff who worked very hard to make us all happy.

Room Tip: All are similar and fantastic over water bungalows.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank E P

Dear E P

Happy New Year from sunny Cocoa!
I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe flight back home.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review on our beautiful island. I am ever so glad to hear we have met your expectations throughout your stay and surely hope to welcoming you back next year during the festive vacations.

We are all wishing you and love ones a wonderful start of The New Year!

Reviewed 31 December 2012

We enjoyed the understated luxury of Como's Estate in Bali and we were looking forward to our week-long holiday on Cocoa Island. We were not disappointed. Cocoa Island offers the same subtle luxury without the glitzy glamour and obvious opulence of some of the other resorts. No shiny bedsheets, no sumptious buffet spread - just good quality made-to-order food - just the way I like it. Though after 3 to 4 days we didn't really need the menu... Despite the fact that at least 4 of our 7 nights there were rained out by a freak storm (even some of the long-time staff said they seldom encounter storms like these during this season), we managed to enjoy Cocoa and take refuge in our cosy loft rooms with our 4 year old, reading and playing games. But on the days where the sun was out - the true Maldivian scenery unveils and it was postcard perfect. One of the female staff at the restaurant Fanny said she remembered us from Como Estate in Bali! we were so happy to meet her again in Maldives!

PROs
Spa service was good - treatment was some of the best we had - and hubby and I are spa enthusiasts. Service at the shop was also fantastic - with a kindly, slim and friendly Indonesian lady in attendance - I think her name was Harti.
Lagoon was good for us with a 4 year old as he can't snorkel out - he christened one of the sunkened sand pools as his very own 'Ari's pool' - better than any swimming pools.
There's some thing about the Maldivian sevice that's calm and dignified - for the more senior staff anyway - like Adil from Ufaa.
Ismail from Housekeeping knew we like the room to be spotless - my son loves rolling around on the floor - and I think he mad eit extra clean without us asking...
Hats off to the room service personnel who manually delivers food braving rain and wind during our stay there! We couldnt risk our 4 year old falling into the choppy sea in the dark ( and believe me the winds ripped apart my umbrella on the jetty one night!) - so we had to trouble room service to deliver the very heavy trays on their shoulders! And the food almost always made it to us in less than half an hour!
The private lagoon and access from our villas.

CONs
- the rough seas that caused me to almost regret coming to Maldives on the boat journey over. I honestly didnt think it was the safest to travel by boat in that weather condition - especially worrying with my toddler who didnt know how tot swim. I had seasickness. But once we arrived on Cocoa - every thing became better... the journey back was entirely different on calm seas - enjoyable. Could Cocoa have slightly bigger yachts that are safer in choppy seas perhaps?

- Meditation session and Yoga was way better at the Como Estate in Bali.
- can be a little boring for very young kids after 5 days...

Room Tip: we love our loft villa.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank daliesque
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Dear daliesque

I cannot start to thank you enough for the wonderful review you have just written and for the very useful recommendations you have made.
We are constantly looking for ways to enhance our guest experiences and your kind suggestions will assist us improving in various areas.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Due to the high price and ratings in Tripadvisor, we came with very high expectations but Cocoa Island managed to exceed our expectations in all aspects.
Everything else would just be a repetition of what has already been written by others.
Fantastic in every single way!

Room Tip: Loft villas for the good sun deck
2  Thank roundtheworld2009

Dear roundtheworld2009

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. I am surely glad to hear your holiday was memorable and that each and every one of our team members meet your service expectations.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocoa Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
#1 of 1 in Naladhu Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort

Been to COMO Cocoa Island? Share your experiences!