Just thinking about Cocoa Island and the marvelous week we had there could brings tears in my eyes ! This is the most beautiful, pure, serene and peaceful place I have ever been in my life.
I’m not going into the details about the meet & greet at airport and the speedboat transfer : it was, as expected, fine and efficient.
1) First of all, let me tell you about the setting, because that’s why we’ve all traveled so far : if you expect something outstanding, don’t worry, you will have it. The lagoon is huge, and waters all around Cocoa are the most clear/turquoise/beautiful I have ever seen. And yes, I have been to Bora Bora before. Everywhere you look at, you see turquoise water. To be accurate, it is not just turquoise, and that’s why Cocoa is so special : depending on where you are on the island and the time of the day/tide, you will find dark blue/light turquoise/dark turquoise/white/mint green water. So many shades ! It’s amazing and you can’t get bored of it. Unless you are blasé. There is also an amazing sandbar (again with all shades of blue), make note of low tide and go ! Speaking about the sand, it is so white and soft, it feels like flour… I have seen many beautiful beaches before (French Polynesia, islands of Thailand, Malaysia,Philippines…) and had very high expectations : they were surpassed, by far. Just one note : the beach on the boat jetty side is not that great (but one can guess this side’s not meant for the guests), sometimes a little dirty even, because of all the boats coming in and out. It’s a great snorkeling spot though !
2) Suite : we had a Dhoni Loft Suite (2nd category) which was AWESOME. Very large and bright. Sophisticated furniture. The bedroom is upstairs which adds something special. It’s like you have a small house, we loved it. There is a toilet and sink upstairs which is very practical if you want to go at night. The living room downstairs is large and clear and beautifully appointed. The sofas are freaking comfortable and perfect to rest on when it’s too hot outside during the day or to watch TV at night. TV, iPod dock and DVD player worked perfect. The bathroom is simply huge. You have many towels and bathrobes provided. The only slight reproach I could make is about the shower, I think it’s a little bit old with quite low pressure. In each Suite you also have fans (I liked it at night, when AC was too cold). The umbrellas at disposal were very practical when going to the restaurant under the rain.
I was expecting a quite small terrace but it was larger than expected and widely big enough for us. The sunbeds were comfortable and the towels changed every morning. I would have liked to move the big umbrella (to get some shade) but it was too heavy !
Of course, everything was very clean, at all times.
3) Food : food is extremely good, healthy, and - quite rare in such places, of good proportion (fortunately, given the price !) I loved the breakfast, especially the mango muesli. Portions were huge and I could never finish what I had ordered ! For lunch and dinner, food is very asian-inspired. All is beautiful and refined in the plate. If you don’t like spicy food (yes, it is mostly spicy), just precise it to your waiter and he will tell the Chef. Chris (Food & Beverage Manager) visited the restaurant and almost all tables at each meal. This is enjoyable and again, a sign for a true luxurious hotel.
4) Activities :
We dived 3 times, including 1 ‘house reef cleaning’ free dive (a good thing we didn’t find too much to clean). Dive boat is big and clean. Staff is very professional and helpful. To give you an idea, they even help you unzipping your wetsuit and putting your fins on : I had never seen service at this level !
Of course we snorkeled everyday and everywhere. At first, I gotta admit I was a little disappointed because I was expecting to see more ‘big’ such as sharks, rays and turtles. On the other hand, I had never seen such a profusion : beautiful colored fishes were everywhere ! Parrots, trigger, puffer, angel, surgeon… and quite a few hidden moray eels ! I was so happy to see them ! Generally speaking, best snorkeling spots are everywhere you have coral and jetties. Everyday, we also saw small sharks and rays wandering the shallow waters of the lagoon.
The outside swimming pool looks fantastic. Oh it’s very simple, that’s why I love it. Cocoa doesn’t need much, simple things look fantastic there. It’s not very big, perfect size, and you'll never find more than 2 persons in the water at the same time. The double beach-beds around the pool are incredible !
The hydrotherapy pool was fun, the water was very warm which was nice on cloudier days (which was very rare).
We booked the sunset fishing trip: there was a beautiful lounge section on the top of the boat, very nice to watch the sunset and relax. We were only 4 guests on the boat. The staff is nice and fun, and soft drinks (and I think beers) were provided. It was my first time fishing in the sea and I gotta admit I didn’t find it so easy, I caught only 1 small fish, my husband caught 2. We had them for lunch the next day ! It was fun, though a little bit long.
5) Other :
We went in December, and the weather was perfect (only a few showers at nights).
We stayed 7 nights, and think it's a perfect holiday duration for the Maldives.
There were some children (very young and babies) while we were there, it was not a problem at all.
The islands you can see on the horizon (yes, you can indeed see 3 or 4 islands around) were not a problem at all for us. And contrary to what I've read in another review, there are no yachts/boats passing all day long under your nose, it's very calm.
The staff was very warm and attentive, service was faultless.
To conclude, I would say Cocoa Island masterfully combines true luxury and this ‘robinson chic’ feeling we’re looking for. I can't even describe how sad we were to leave on our last day. I don't know if it's because it was our honeymoon but it was the first time we fell that much in love with a holiday place. An exceptional place where time stops, of indescribable beauty, imbued with a serenity that makes you forget everything...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cocoa Island by COMO is a private island in the Maldives and offers measured simplicity in its design. Wrapped in white sandy beaches and clear turquoise waters, Cocoa Island is in close proximity to some of the best dive sites in the world. The tranquil setting is enhanced by the understated elegance of Cocoa Island’s 27 rooms, which resemble local dhoni fishing boats and feature direct access to the shallow lagoon. Ufaa, the resort’s restaurant, serves fresh local produce and seafood cooked in the Keralan style, while Faru bar overlooks the pristine infinity-edge pool. Cocoa Island’s spa, COMO Shambhala Retreat, offers rebalancing treatments, including Ayurveda, reflexology and a range of recuperative massages and facials. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your COMO Cocoa Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocoa Island Hotel South Male Atoll
- Cocoa Island Maldives
- Hotel Cocoa Island