“Cocoa Confessions”
Review of COMO Cocoa Island

COMO Cocoa Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cocoa Island
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Having previously been to Maldives, we never thought the experience can get any better until Cocoa Island!
It had been my dream to bring my 14 month old daughter to the Maldivian beaches as it stretches so far out into the horizon yet water level is still so low! We stayed at the Dhoni loft suite, perfect for families with children! Lots of spaces to run around, complete with a walk-in wardrobe in the washroom and bath tub for soaking with the kid after a day out on the beaches!
For families with infants or young children, you don't need to fret about food because at Cocoa Island, they provide complimentary infant meals! Ranging from healthy brown rice and veg puree to mashed banana, the little ones are well taken care of. For the adults, scrumptious COMO Shambalah menu is a must-try! My husband whisked us there also to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary and my birthday and I have to say this is the best celebration ever! Chris, the F&B manager, together with the staff planned for me a yummy choc birthday cake and for us an anniversary cake, as a surprise! Service standard was very high.
I also highly recommend the COMO Shambalah massage as it is very different from the usual Thai or Bali massage. It is very delicately executed, yet the strength in massaging seemed to fuse different massage techniques, evolving into its very special massage style.
Needless to say, the view was breathtaking and Cocoa Island possess its very own 'coastal runway' where you can walk so far out into the sea and wait for sunrise - the most beautiful sight of our lives. We even brought our own bubbles to blow by the beaches, and the sea breeze decided to lend its wind power! It was most magical when the bubbles flew with the breeze into the horizon where the sun was setting in the crimson sky.
Thank you to the dedicated staff of COMO who made this an unforgettable experience and creating this unique moment in our lives.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Dear Ripz2601

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. I am surely glad to hear your holiday was memorable and that each and every one of our team members meet your service expectations.

Your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Just thinking about Cocoa Island and the marvelous week we had there could brings tears in my eyes ! This is the most beautiful, pure, serene and peaceful place I have ever been in my life.

I’m not going into the details about the meet & greet at airport and the speedboat transfer : it was, as expected, fine and efficient.

1) First of all, let me tell you about the setting, because that’s why we’ve all traveled so far : if you expect something outstanding, don’t worry, you will have it. The lagoon is huge, and waters all around Cocoa are the most clear/turquoise/beautiful I have ever seen. And yes, I have been to Bora Bora before. Everywhere you look at, you see turquoise water. To be accurate, it is not just turquoise, and that’s why Cocoa is so special : depending on where you are on the island and the time of the day/tide, you will find dark blue/light turquoise/dark turquoise/white/mint green water. So many shades ! It’s amazing and you can’t get bored of it. Unless you are blasé. There is also an amazing sandbar (again with all shades of blue), make note of low tide and go ! Speaking about the sand, it is so white and soft, it feels like flour… I have seen many beautiful beaches before (French Polynesia, islands of Thailand, Malaysia,Philippines…) and had very high expectations : they were surpassed, by far. Just one note : the beach on the boat jetty side is not that great (but one can guess this side’s not meant for the guests), sometimes a little dirty even, because of all the boats coming in and out. It’s a great snorkeling spot though !
2) Suite : we had a Dhoni Loft Suite (2nd category) which was AWESOME. Very large and bright. Sophisticated furniture. The bedroom is upstairs which adds something special. It’s like you have a small house, we loved it. There is a toilet and sink upstairs which is very practical if you want to go at night. The living room downstairs is large and clear and beautifully appointed. The sofas are freaking comfortable and perfect to rest on when it’s too hot outside during the day or to watch TV at night. TV, iPod dock and DVD player worked perfect. The bathroom is simply huge. You have many towels and bathrobes provided. The only slight reproach I could make is about the shower, I think it’s a little bit old with quite low pressure. In each Suite you also have fans (I liked it at night, when AC was too cold). The umbrellas at disposal were very practical when going to the restaurant under the rain.

I was expecting a quite small terrace but it was larger than expected and widely big enough for us. The sunbeds were comfortable and the towels changed every morning. I would have liked to move the big umbrella (to get some shade) but it was too heavy !

Of course, everything was very clean, at all times.

3) Food : food is extremely good, healthy, and - quite rare in such places, of good proportion (fortunately, given the price !) I loved the breakfast, especially the mango muesli. Portions were huge and I could never finish what I had ordered ! For lunch and dinner, food is very asian-inspired. All is beautiful and refined in the plate. If you don’t like spicy food (yes, it is mostly spicy), just precise it to your waiter and he will tell the Chef. Chris (Food & Beverage Manager) visited the restaurant and almost all tables at each meal. This is enjoyable and again, a sign for a true luxurious hotel.

4) Activities :
We dived 3 times, including 1 ‘house reef cleaning’ free dive (a good thing we didn’t find too much to clean). Dive boat is big and clean. Staff is very professional and helpful. To give you an idea, they even help you unzipping your wetsuit and putting your fins on : I had never seen service at this level !

Of course we snorkeled everyday and everywhere. At first, I gotta admit I was a little disappointed because I was expecting to see more ‘big’ such as sharks, rays and turtles. On the other hand, I had never seen such a profusion : beautiful colored fishes were everywhere ! Parrots, trigger, puffer, angel, surgeon… and quite a few hidden moray eels ! I was so happy to see them ! Generally speaking, best snorkeling spots are everywhere you have coral and jetties. Everyday, we also saw small sharks and rays wandering the shallow waters of the lagoon.

The outside swimming pool looks fantastic. Oh it’s very simple, that’s why I love it. Cocoa doesn’t need much, simple things look fantastic there. It’s not very big, perfect size, and you'll never find more than 2 persons in the water at the same time. The double beach-beds around the pool are incredible !

The hydrotherapy pool was fun, the water was very warm which was nice on cloudier days (which was very rare).

We booked the sunset fishing trip: there was a beautiful lounge section on the top of the boat, very nice to watch the sunset and relax. We were only 4 guests on the boat. The staff is nice and fun, and soft drinks (and I think beers) were provided. It was my first time fishing in the sea and I gotta admit I didn’t find it so easy, I caught only 1 small fish, my husband caught 2. We had them for lunch the next day ! It was fun, though a little bit long.

5) Other :
We went in December, and the weather was perfect (only a few showers at nights).
We stayed 7 nights, and think it's a perfect holiday duration for the Maldives.
There were some children (very young and babies) while we were there, it was not a problem at all.
The islands you can see on the horizon (yes, you can indeed see 3 or 4 islands around) were not a problem at all for us. And contrary to what I've read in another review, there are no yachts/boats passing all day long under your nose, it's very calm.
The staff was very warm and attentive, service was faultless.

To conclude, I would say Cocoa Island masterfully combines true luxury and this ‘robinson chic’ feeling we’re looking for. I can't even describe how sad we were to leave on our last day. I don't know if it's because it was our honeymoon but it was the first time we fell that much in love with a holiday place. An exceptional place where time stops, of indescribable beauty, imbued with a serenity that makes you forget everything...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sandra-Bruno
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2013

Dear Sandra-Bruno

Reviewed 27 January 2013

The best run hotel I have ever stayed in, and the location is superb. Friendly staff, ridiculously good food, first rate spa and hydro pool, and wonderful natural surroundings.
Choose an inclusive meal plan and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: The one bedroom villas are more expensive but they are larger and more secluded.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear iain1948

Reviewed 25 January 2013

We came here for honeymoon trip, it was best hotel all. island so beautiful very clear beach room was very wonderful . the staff is really good, always smile. we had a great time.we come with friends back to hotel and maldives next year. thank you

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gespr84
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

Dear Gespr84

Greetings from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe and relaxing trip back home.

I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island and surely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you back here sometime soon.
All your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como very soon!

Reviewed 19 January 2013

My Mother and I visited Cocoa Island in October 2012 as one component of a trip around the world and we loved it. The snorkeling, service, and cooking were unparalleled and we have already planned a trip to return in July 2013. We recommend Cocoa Island unequivocally.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Calif0rnia007
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Calif0rnia007

Greetings from sunny Cocoa!
Thanks a million for your wonderful review. I am ever so pleased to read all your very positive comments.

I truly look forward to welcoming you back on our beautiful island this year!

Warm regards

Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed in Cocoa for the third time and, as always, it was a wonderful experience!
the island is fantastic, with a clear and warm sea and the best lagoon in Maldives.
The room also is very nice and the staff professional and helpful

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank vale68Milan
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear vale68Milan

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We had a wonderful 10 days on Cocoa Island just before Christmas. Having stayed at Baros and having pored over Trip Adviser and the island's website in advance, we went with very high expectations - Cocoa Island didn't just meet those expectations but exceeded them. The staff are all excellent and go out of their way to help you make the most of your stay. We'd particularly like to thank Ahmed who arranged some medication for my husband who'd unfortunately left one of his regular tablets at home; a supply of tablets was sourced in less than 24 hours and for free. We also appreciated the way that Laurent, the manager, made a point of introducing himself on our first night, checking that we were okay throughout our stay, and also chatting to us on our last night. In addition to everything that other reviwers have noted, what really stood out for us was the food. From the dosas at breakfast, to the sushi and satay at lunch, through to the varied evening meals every aspect of the food was superb. We'd very much recomment the Thali and Thai nights - food at the latter is equivalent to the the Michelin-starred Nahm restaurant in London (also part of the Como group). We had a wonderful time and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ALWM20
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear ALWM20

Greetings and Happy New Year from sunny Cocoa!
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Your praise and recognitions goes a long way and our team is thrilled to hear such postive feedbacks.
I am ever so glad you have enjoyed everything our beautiful island has to offer and particularly Tim’s cooking!
I surely hope I will have the chance to welcoming you back on Cocoa this year and remain at your disposal anytime until then.

Warm regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocoa Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
#1 of 1 in Naladhu Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi

Been to COMO Cocoa Island? Share your experiences!